Guide for FPS, G/V-Sync, Monitor and Game Settings etc…

FlagshipDevice

Hello people. After years of procrastination I finally built my first PC last summer. In hindsight, more research on my behalf would’ve made me hold back as new GPUs and CPUs were imminent. Lesson learnt. However…

As things turned out, it could perhaps be argued that I chose a great time to build my first rig - we all know about the worldwide chip shortages that ensued in the latter half of 2020, which are ongoing. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

Regardless, I digress. I’m really loving PC gaming. It provides a far more diverse selection of games and of course there’s the added very welcome fact that games can be had at a very good price.

Enough of my rambling, I’ll get to the point - being new to PC gaming, a year later I’m still pretty confused over game settings. By that I mean in terms of FPS settings, whether or not to use G-Sync which my monitor is compatible with and things like DLSS etc - I know DLSS is an NVIDIA thing, my GPU is a 2080 Super.

My monitor is a 1440p monitor, 144hz. Rightly or wrongly, my ‘logic’ has always told me to set games at their highest graphical settings. For the vast majority of current games, my 2080 Super/ 3700X/ 32Gb 3600mhz ram should be able to cope with that pretty well.

I’ve been setting games to 1440p, highest graphical settings, V-sync on and setting the FPS limiter to about 80. Any games with DLSS I’ve switched on. My ‘logic’ is that if I want all the graphical bells and whistles, limiting the FPS to circa 70-80 would put less strain on the system?

The problem I have is that I’ve read so many things that seemingly contradict each other that I’m now at a stage where I’m really unsure what to do or not to do, what to switch on or turn off etc etc. My apologies - all of that was a REALLY long way of asking if there’s a guide somewhere that explains all this stuff in fairly simple terms.

My thanks in advance for any advice, have a good weekend!

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
The purpose of G-Sync is to match the FPS to the refresh rate of the display, say you have a monitor 144Hz but FPS is only 70 in game, this will cause judder with vsync on. G-Sync solves this by syncing the refresh rate Hz and FPS.

For optimal usage of G-Sync for single player/casual pvp configure the nvidia control panel like so.
  • Resolution 1440p 144Hz
  • G-Sync enabled for full screen mode only
  • Max Frame rate = 140
  • Monitor technology = G-Sync
  • Preferred refresh rate = Highest Available
  • Vertical sync = on

In all games internal graphics settings
  • disable any frame rate limiter
  • disable vsync
  • exclusive fullscreen

This will allow the Nvidia driver to take over and ensure G-Sync has control, the FPS limit is to avoid the system/input lag vsync causes, by keeping FPS under 144 you avoid that (3-4 is account for variance).

The 80 limit your using in unnecessary.

Nvidia DLSS - is a clever upscaling system that takes a lower resolution input and turns into a higher resolution output, this has some image quality and performance benefits.

The other approach is to ignore G-Sync, turn vsync off everywhere, disable any FPS limiters, this will make GPU go as fast as it can go and give lowest input lag, however there can be side effects like screen tearing if you cannot maintain a high enough FPS.

Blurbusters is an excellent technical resource that fully explains G-Sync but it can get very technical, PC monitors info is another source, rtings also offer some basics.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom