Best HDR TVs - 2017 Edition

Dodgexander

Solutions
Reaction score
Its commonly asked, so here's my own personal recommendation of HDR TV's from first to worst!

These are my recommendations. In 2017 we have seen a reduction overall with input lag making every TV now more or less good enough for gaming. Therefore these recommendations apply to gamers too.

High Range
HDR as its meant to be

Sony ZD9 - The best, the brightest, the biggest wow factor with HDR.
Sony XE94 - If you need to bigger than 65" and need FALD its a good value TV compared to its bigger sister.
Sony A1 - Top quality picture processing, probably the best OLED you can buy. Its downside is lack of a colour management system for calibration.
LG W7/G7, B7/C7 - Exceptional value found in the C7 and B7. Don't be fooled, still a very high end TV.
Panasonic EZ952 - Great picture processing and colour accuracy, plus better calibration controls than the more expensive Sony. Lack of Dolby Vision support lands it beneath the LG on the list though.
Philips POS9002 - Probably the best motion on an OLED but still like the Panasonic no Dolby Vision support.
Sony XE9305 - An edge lit LCD but with remarkable local dimming. Deserves its place on the high end list if you want a bright LCD but can't afford the more expensive Sony's.

Mid Range
HDR will still wow, but you may find more clouding and light bleed with these tvs in HDR mode. These TV's may also not have as effective local dimming to separate dark's from brights but they still do a good enough job to warrant buying one.

Sony XE9005 - The new mid range king. Doesn't quite get to UHD premium brightness specs but overall it is by far the best value TV in 2017
Samsung Q7/Q9 - Not really great value at current pricing, no better really than last years Samsung models.

Lower Mid Range
These TVs build only on the low range models by having 120hz panels, for most people its useless spending extra on a TV in this range compared to a low range TV. The benefits of a 120hz panel is often misunderstood, it is only useful if you intend to use motion enhancements. From a HDR point of you they are generally as poor as the low range models.

Panasonic EX750/EX780 - Not a capable HDR TV due to lack of local dimming and brightness, but motion wise and SDR PQ wise it fits in the medium category.
Sony XE85xx - Avoid the 75" IPS version, but otherwise it has the same pro's and cons as the Panasonic above.
Samsung MU7000(55"+), MU8000, MU9000 - Poor show from mid range Samsung this year compared to the KS range last year, but at least these will be as good as the Panasonic EX750 and Sony XE85xx.
Hisense NU8700 - No better or worse overall compared to the above, its plus is the build quality and better-than-average built in sound.
Samsung Q6 - Same as the Samsung MU8000 but with a wider colour gamut.
Low Range
These tv's aren't great for HDR but instead are the best of a bad bunch, they will process a HDR signal and show improved colour, but in many cases it may actually be better to have HDR off.

Panasonic EX-700 - Wide colour gamut, so decent colour with HDR. As good as you will get now for a low end HDR TV.
Hisense N6800 - Basically the Same as the Panasonic above except with less picture processing and colour accuracy.
Samsung MU64xx/MU66xx/MU65xx/MU700(49") - MU6100/MU62xx are similar but don't have a wide colour gamut so colours will look worse with HDR. Beware 43", 49" and 55" versions of the MU64xx and MU61xx range likely have IPS type panels. Avoid these sizes.
Sony XE70xx - No wide colour gamut to show better colours with HDR but a great TV for SDR. Beware of 43" and 49" versions, they use IPS type panels.
Panasonic EX600 - As sony above but buy 40" Only.

IPS lovers:

LG LCDs UJ750v and higher - Wide colour gamut for better colour with HDR and decent with motion. You need to reach at least the LG SJ850V or higher if you don't want a WRGB Panel.
Samsung MU6400 (49, 55" only) - Wide colour gamut for better colour with HDR.
Sony XE70xx (43, 49" only) - No wide colour gamut for better HDR colours but still a decent TV.
Panasonic EX600 (not 40") - Same as Sony above.

Conclusion and notes:

There's no good small sized tvs for displaying HDR.

There are lots of TV's that market HDR but are very poor at displaying it. Chances are if the TV isn't on the list it falls in to that category. Just having HDR on a TV isn't the same principle as a HDready logo, there's more to it than that.

Don't fall for the buzzwords;
10 bit = actually not as important as you think. All that counts for HDR is a wide colour gamut and % colour coverage in the rec 2020 colourspace. There are 8 bit panels with HDR capable colours and 10 bit panels without. Bit depth is not important with HDR (yet).

HDR+ = this is just a mode to convert normal SDR to HDR. Don't use it.

800hz/400hz etc - forget these fake refresh rates it means nothing with gaming. All that counts is motion blur and smoothness. You will need a mid range TV if you want good motion.

Viewing distance;
HDR can be benefited from anywhere as it's features lay in brightness and colour. UHD resolution is another matter. Want your UHD TV to look better than your FHD one? Be sure to sit closer and or get a bigger screen to notice a quality difference. See: UHD vs FHD

Plasma users may have to spend more than they expect to get a good gaming experience, you just can't beat the value vs pq of a plasma TV anymore. In some areas a Plasma won't be beaten by even a high end LCD. In which instance I recommend saving for an OLED.

This is by no means any official valuation, these are my own personal recommendations based on professional reviews and user reviews. Please don't hold anything against me! Any more info or spotted an error? let me know. I'll try to keep everything updated. Feel welcome to ask questions or discuss alternatives below.

-Dodge

# Some of the lower end tv's may not all have full HDMI 2.0a inputs. The Samsung MU series for example looks like it only has 1 HDMI 2.0a and 2 HDMI 2.0, this means no HDR on ports 2 and 3. and the Hisense N6800 has 2 HDMI 2.0a and 2 HDMI 2.0. So no HDR through ports 3 and 4. Make sure you check specs!

Last edited:
Hey dude,

I am looking to buy a new TV for a new house I have moved into. Was pretty set on the Q6 but after looking through some of your posts and some other sites it may not be the best suit? I'm wanting a 55" but not wanting to spend more than 1000 and the Q6 is 849 at the moment from HUGHES. My main use for the TV would be streaming and console gaming. If you could help that would be appreciated?

Cheers.

@stuarta5 the Q6 was a model released recently and no one really knows much about it.

At that price it may be a good but but no idea where it sits in the market really so can't really recommend it.

55" and £1000 I'd bide my time and keep an eye on the pricing of the Sony XE9005 to try and pick up that model instead.

If you aren't going to HDR game then that's the obvious option but if not then a tv like the Samsung MU7000 or Sony XE85 series or even the cheaper models than that listed in my guide instead.

I have updated the guide by creating a new category in the lower mid range. These TV's before we're incorrectly labelled as having HDR that still "wowed".

What should I select between Sony XE9000 and Pana EX750, I coming from Pana Plasma.

Mostly would see football and Blu ray movies

It depends on the prices for both and how much you care about value. This guide is based on UK pricing.

Also depends if you want HDR to look good or not. For example you mention your sources are football and blu-ray movies, but will you be wanting the TV to look good with UHD Blu-Ray movies with HDR? If you do then you must look at only the Sony.

If you don't, then the Panasonic is fine.

Thanks, Sony is expensive by USD 200 and can afford it if it is worth it.
Yes, movies with HDR want to look good, how is the performance motion wise ?

Then the Sony is the only choice, the Panasonic doesn't have the hardware in it to produce the best free picture.

Both tv's equal with motion, both not without their problems either. Most people don't notice the issues though.

Motion is very subjective and I would not buy a t.v. first without seeing it if you think you're unsure about motion, even then you can't be 100% sure until you test it at home with your own sources.

But even if you bought the Sony and weren't happy, you won't find a better tv for the price so it's a no brainer in my mind.

Hi Dodgexander,

I am looking to replace my old Samsung 46d5000 hd tv with something more suited to my PS4 pro. I only use this TV for gaming as it is mounted to my racing rig, I sit directly in the centre and am looking at a 49/50 preferably with the best blacks and decent colour for playing racing games such as GT Sport and F1 2017. Input lag also needs to be as low as possible. I have been toying with the thought of a curved screen but I don't have a preference if there is a better flat panel to go for.

TVs i've looked at-
panasonic 50ex700,
samsung 49mu7000, 49mu6500, 49mu6220
hisense 50n6800

any tips on which to avoid or which would be better?

@MC1985 I am sure its not what you want to hear but to be honest I am not sure any of those will be more suited to your PS4 pro. Whilst you gain UHD compared to your current TV it likely won't be visible compared to FHD, depends on your viewing distance.

Not only that but if you keep delivering 1080p with the pro anyway, you can play games with a higher frame rate/quality than you can at UHD. I think GT sport plays at 30fps or 30hz at UHD on the pro, yet at FHD you can run at 60hz or with higher end graphics. UHD mode cuts the graphics detail down and frame rate to play at a higher resolution...kinda pointless don't you think? especially when most people won't be viewing close enough to notice UHD anyway.

Not only that but the gains with the PS4 pro and GT sport especially are with HDR. The game is mastered at 10,000 nits peak brightness and the experience of playing the game in HDR on the TVs you have shortlisted won't be ideal, it may even look worse than playing it without HDR. Scaling that 10,000 nits down to 300-400 results in crushed detail and a lack of highlights/contrast, even compared to just playing the game in the SDR mode.

I like to be perfectly frank with you, I just wouldn't upgrade at all, if you did you would want to be upgrading to a model that at least shows HDR at a decent level to get the most from the pro and even then you would be playing games at reduced frame rates. A good starting TV for this and the minimum I would recommend for HDR gaming is the Sony XE9005.

Your TV is a very decent one and even by today's standards holds up compared to the TVs you are looking at, remember resolution is just a number, just because a TV supports UHD and HDR does not mean it will give you better PQ.

Thanks for that I really appreciate it. I've toyed with the idea of spending a lot more but it's difficult to justify just for the PS4. I have tried to find what the input lag would be for my TV but I can't find it anywhere. thanks for saving me £450-£600 though haha

Are the LG SUHD TV's that bad that they don't feature at all here?

Unfortunately, buying an OLED just isn't in my budget, but I'd like a TV that has Dolby Vision included and the SUHD's seem to tick the boxes.

Thanks for that I really appreciate it. I've toyed with the idea of spending a lot more but it's difficult to justify just for the PS4. I have tried to find what the input lag would be for my TV but I can't find it anywhere. thanks for saving me £450-£600 though haha
If it is the same as the smaller models, which it probably is its 16ms. A lot lower than most TVs today in an era now where every TV has low enough input lag.

Are the LG SUHD TV's that bad that they don't feature at all here?

Unfortunately, buying an OLED just isn't in my budget, but I'd like a TV that has Dolby Vision included and the SUHD's seem to tick the boxes.
They aren't included in my guide because they use IPS type panels which give inferior contrast, blacks and screen uniformity. If they were to fit in a category of HDR performance it would be in the lower mid range. Despite supporting Dolby Vision their HDR capability is very poor and the support should be considered really only for compatibility rather than there to give a good HDR picture.

There is much more to a HDR TV than the formats it accepts and if you want decent HDR the minimum TV to go for this year is the Sony XE9005. If you want decent HDR with Dolby Vision support you are looking at the Sony XE9305 as a minimum, but really for proper support an OLED.

Don't worry about Dolby Vision until you can get those models, on the lower models to use an car analogy it would be like putting racing stripes on a Vauxhall Corsa, it may look faster but in reality it offers nothing extra because what's under the bonnet is below par.

HDR costs a premium and is a technology reserved for high end models, lower end TVs that support it only receive the signal, they won't do anything admirable with it.

They aren't included in my guide because they use IPS type panels which give inferior contrast, blacks and screen uniformity. If they were to fit in a category of HDR performance it would be in the lower mid range. Despite supporting Dolby Vision their HDR capability is very poor and the support should be considered really only for compatibility rather than there to give a good HDR picture.

There is much more to a HDR TV than the formats it accepts and if you want decent HDR the minimum TV to go for this year is the Sony XE9005. If you want decent HDR with Dolby Vision support you are looking at the Sony XE9305 as a minimum, but really for proper support an OLED.

Don't worry about Dolby Vision until you can get those models, on the lower models to use an car analogy it would be like putting racing stripes on a Vauxhall Corsa, it may look faster but in reality it offers nothing extra because what's under the bonnet is below par.

HDR costs a premium and is a technology reserved for high end models, lower end TVs that support it only receive the signal, they won't do anything admirable with it.

Cheers for the response.

As stated before, OLED just isn't an option and for my next TV, DV is one of my main requirements/wants whilst having to work within the budget, so a lower mid range TV might just have to be what I end up getting.

For the record, anything over £1k for a TV is anything but lower mid range if we're being honest! :laugh:

Thanks again.

Cheers for the response.

As stated before, OLED just isn't an option and for my next TV, DV is one of my main requirements/wants whilst having to work within the budget, so a lower mid range TV might just have to be what I end up getting.

For the record, anything over £1k for a TV is anything but lower mid range if we're being honest! :laugh:

Thanks again.
And that's why they aren't recommended, they are overpriced for what they are. You can get better performance overall from a £450 TV with a VA panel than the SJ series. Why is dolby vision a requirement? There isn't any device that supports DV that doesn't also support HDR 10.

As I said, you'll be making a mistake spending the money on the SJ series if you are expecting to have any kind of watchable HDR. If you have a 1k budget get the Sony XE9005 at 49" as that is the only way you are going to get HDR worth having. The 55" version is a little more, but its worth it.

HDR isn't something a TV has or doesn't, it's not like HD or HD ready used to be, its heavily dependant on the TVs hardware. LG may be slapping DV on the SJ series but I honestly can't think of a worse line of TVs to watch HDR on, even the Sony models with IPS panels look better and their performance is already questionable.

And that's why they aren't recommended, they are overpriced for what they are. You can get better performance overall from a £450 TV with a VA panel than the SJ series. Why is dolby vision a requirement? There isn't any device that supports DV that doesn't also support HDR 10.

As I said, you'll be making a mistake spending the money on the SJ series if you are expecting to have any kind of watchable HDR. If you have a 1k budget get the Sony XE9005 at 49" as that is the only way you are going to get HDR worth having. The 55" version is a little more, but its worth it.

HDR isn't something a TV has or doesn't, it's not like HD or HD ready used to be, its heavily dependant on the TVs hardware. LG may be slapping DV on the SJ series but I honestly can't think of a worse line of TVs to watch HDR on, even the Sony models with IPS panels look better and their performance is already questionable.

Fully aware about HDR 10, but I would like to watch my Dolby Vision UHD’s on a Dolby Vision UHD TV. Quite simple really.

I currently have a 2014 55” Samsung UHD TV so i certainly don’t intend on going down in size.

Have you owned an LG SUHD TV then to make these sort of statements?

Fully aware about HDR 10, but I would like to watch my Dolby Vision UHD’s on a Dolby Vision UHD TV. Quite simple really.

I currently have a 2014 55” Samsung UHD TV so i certainly don’t intend on going down in size.

Have you owned an LG SUHD TV then to make these sort of statements?
I think you are missing my point re hardware. Unless of course you are happy to have the support of a format ahead of what a TV can do with that technology full stop...or for that matter place more importance in software than essential picture quality traits such as black levels, contrast and a more uniform screen.

Nope, don't own one and I am glad I don't. There are of course things they do right like any TV, but I can assure you Dolby Vision isn't one of them.

I like to be frank and to the point and I don't like people falling for manufacturer trickery so I am telling you how it is, whether you take my advice or not is up to you. I have no motive behind this, I only try to help people to not waste their money.

The LG TVs are very poor and unless you need wide viewing angles from an IPS type panel I see no reason to get one. Not only with HDR, but in general.

In fact, there is a good chance your current TV will have better PQ than those LGs, if only because Samsung tend to use VA type panels.

Hi Dodgeaxender, you dont appear to have included any FHD sets such as the Sony range? Was that deliberate? I am after a 40" set and thought the Sony 40WE663 or the Samsung 40M5000 might meet my requirements

Hi Dodgeaxender, you dont appear to have included any FHD sets such as the Sony range? Was that deliberate? I am after a 40" set and thought the Sony 40WE663 or the Samsung 40M5000 might meet my requirements
This list is for HDR compatible TVs. I have a few FHD TVs listed in my guide here: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

The Sony FHD TVs with HDR support are for netflix/youtube/PS4 only and their HDR capabilities are as limited with these sources as low-end UHD ones. They can't do HDR from an external source apart from the PS4/pro.

For the record any FHD TV using a 40" panel is likely to be using a Samsung VA panel and is a good buy generally. In the above link I have mentioned the Sony RE series but the other Sony WE models will be the same but with smart features.

Same goes for the Samsung line up Mxxxx all the same picture quality.

Upscaling aside they are on par really with the lower end UHD TVs for Picture quality.

This list is for HDR compatible TVs. I have a few FHD TVs listed in my guide here: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

The Sony FHD TVs with HDR support are for netflix/youtube/PS4 only and their HDR capabilities are as limited with these sources as low-end UHD ones. They can't do HDR from an external source apart from the PS4/pro.

For the record any FHD TV using a 40" panel is likely to be using a Samsung VA panel and is a good buy generally. In the above link I have mentioned the Sony RE series but the other Sony WE models will be the same but with smart features.

Same goes for the Samsung line up Mxxxx all the same picture quality.

Upscaling aside they are on par really with the lower end UHD TVs for Picture quality.
apologies yes I missed the first sentence .Thanks for the list and advice. As things stand i wont be needing HDR, just a decent FHD picture

Warning !!!
In the US QN55Q8FN (F.A.L.D. LED LCD).
In Europe QE55Q8FN (Edge LED LCD).

Sony XF90 (KD-55XF9005) Review

XF9005 just been reviewed by Phil for this site. 8/10 - no DV at launch and still major issues with the OS. Basic specs are the same as XE, just with improved processor and extra image enhancement that brings.

I know there are aftermarket solutions but for a midrange tv it’s poor form. Sony should really develop their own OS.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom