Guidance required.

Naqv

Hello.

I am in a bit of dilemma and would appreciate any help provided.

I would like to buy a PS3, but my query is related to the extended warranty and whether to buy the PS3 from a place that provides it.

I have a £120 odd voucher for CEX, so that I can use instore and buy a PS3, which are all "nearly" new. They provide good (I have tested it multiple times) 12 months warranty, where if anything goes wrong, they will replace it.
So, from CEX, I would "only" have to pay £275 for a PS3 (They sell them for £395).

But, as the piece of crap that Microsoft calls xbox360 (I am no Sony fanboy) has got bad press (4 of my friends with MULTIPLE box failures just outside the warranty) has shown, new consoles can be problometic.
As the PS3 is very expensive (for a student :) ) piece of kit, should I just forget the voucher and buy from a place that offers extended warranty, so for example, if the console breaks down in the second year, will they replace it or service it.

I like Amazon.co.uk deal at £430 (I think) with a free game or "GAMESTATION" deal at £430 with any game and xmen 3 Blueray film, but they do not offer extended warranties.

Do any of you have extended warranties and should I just get a console from somewhere apart from CEX and pay the £150 extra.
By the way, CEX have never given me problems with their stuff and their warranty is quite good, but I am concerned after the first year.

If a console breaks down after the first year, where can you repair it from?

Sorry for sounding paranoid, but before Microsoft entered the arena with their crap, I never thought about extended warranties. I had had all the major consoles, and xbox 360 is the only problometic one.

Thank You.

kingsize

But, as the piece of crap that Microsoft calls xbox360 (I am no Sony fanboy)

Sorry for sounding paranoid, but before Microsoft entered the arena with their crap, I never thought about extended warranties. I had had all the major consoles, and xbox 360 is the only problometic one.

Thank You.

Not a fanboy?

Yeah.............Right............

Oh, and moderate your language.

louishm

glad you didnt post this in the 360 forum. All consoles have there problems, i am on my 2nd ps3 as my first was faulty.
Anyway back to the question i think argos do and extended warranty (3 years i think) for a few extra quid.

Any item is subject to faults, any there will always be at least isolated issues, generally speaking thou, the PS3 has proven to be pretty reliable, much more so than the 360, with it's well documented red rings of death.

Personally, would I pay £150 for extended warranty on the PS3? No Would I pay it in a 360? For Sure...

Bilbob

A slightly more balanced view would be that whilst it does indeed appear the ps3 is more reliable than the 360, neither are exactly issue-free. As for extended warranties, it appears Argos do the best value extended warranty, but you should only consider one of these if you are after an easy life. The sale of goods act will cover you for a good few years on a device like the ps3, just like it does for the 360.
Oh, and for the record, I'm still on my original launch day 360....

MattZani

Banned
id just buy one, or use the voucher on games, and buy the console elsewhere. the PS3 creates about half the heat a 360 does, so no overheating, and shuts itself down if its too hot. if you're still worried, buy an add on cooler. its just the 360 that has made everyone warranty conscious, but my almost launch PS2 is still going, so i have faith in the PS3.

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom