Guidance on upgrading home setup for Bluetooth / Sony WF-1000XM4

Oh Death

Standard Member
I'm using Sony WF-1000XM4 at work for calls/ music and am currently looking to upgrade my home setup for use there too.

I have a 10 year old Cambridge Audio Azur 550A which runs audio from hi/fi and TV & PS4 setup. As the Sony WF-1000XM4's don't work directly with the Sony PS4 it looks like the amplifier is the best linked audio receiver/transmitter.

As I see it, I need a standalone Bluetooth receiver (or upgrade the amplifier altogether). However after a bit of looking the varying costs and spec of Bluetooth transmitter receivers is a bit overwhelming.

Has anyone had experience/ guidance modernising their setup for such earbuds?

gava

I think an RCA -> 3.5mm cable (from the pre-out or rec out on your 550A) and into one of these should do the trick

Amazon product

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oh Death

Standard Member
Thanks @gava

Just so I can understand the varying product costs and spec, do the cheaper receivers offer poorer sound quality/ latency than something like the Sennheiser BT T100? Is there any huge difference going for something like the iFi Zen Blue (other than it being both receiver and transmitter)?

Also, should probably have asked before but; is there any expected latency when using PS4 with bluetooth devices?

Upvote 0

gava

You need a transmitter not a receiver if I understand your requirement correctly.

Zen Blue I think is only a receiver - to send BT signal into your hifi from e.g. your phone, what you want to do is send the other way.

There are cheaper solutions if you are not too worried about overall quality and signal strength.

Something like this should also work if you simply want the functionality

Amazon product

Upvote 0

Oh Death

Standard Member
Sorry, yes transmitter is the main requirement. Was just considering all-in-one units as an extra level of functionality. Perhaps I misread the Zen Blue specs, thought it had both.

I'm certainly after better audio quality and low latency so happy to invest in better kit if it delivers.

Upvote 0

gava

You could certainly start with something simple and cheap from Amazon, see how it goes? My daughter is using something very similar to the one immediately above for listening to her TV with her Airpods. Works fine.

However for a better signal and improved fidelity you could try to go up to the Sennheiser or similar. All the way up to thousands of pounds if you wanted to.

I also have the XM4 earbuds, and honestly I don't think it's worth spending too much money on a transmitter. They are nice earbuds for sure and the sound is very respectable. I use mine almost daily, but the sound quality falls well short of high end IEMs or headphones.

I personally think the sweet spot would be the Sennheiser with the XM4.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom