Guidance on improving freeview reception

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
So today everything was fine until this evening I started to get BBC 1 HD break up. Out of curiosity i jiggled the wire in the outlet and then everything seemed to pick up. In fact the reception improved. I was getting 90% strength and 100% quality on all channels and even managed to pickup ch55 (i think from a different transmitter as the tv asked me to specify a secondary region) although on ch55 s20 q20.
55 COM7 will probably be from Waltham off the back of the aerial.
Then all of a sudden out of the blue, without any further intervention, the signal has just dropped off on BBC 1 HD again (ch41). Ch44 has dropped out s0 q0, ch33 s86 q0, ch36 s0-86 q0, ch48 s0-86 q0.
I don't understand why I would have stable readings and then they just drop off like this. :(
Connection issues. Heating/cooling = expansion/contraction. Weight of cable and connectors. The connector slowly pushing the plug out due to the conical shape of the screen 'grip'.

Get rid of that wallplate socket and Belling Lee TV plug connection. F-plugs and barrel connector instead?
That jiggling the wire made good is indicative it's dodgy.

ash1942

Standard Member
55 COM7 will probably be from Waltham off the back of the aerial.

Connection issues. Heating/cooling = expansion/contraction. Weight of cable and connectors. The connector slowly pushing the plug out due to the conical shape of the screen 'grip'.

Get rid of that wallplate socket and Belling Lee TV plug connection. F-plugs and barrel connector instead?
That jiggling the wire made good is indicative it's dodgy.

Yes, i think it must be either the face plate or cable in the wall. I've switched the aerial to output through a different face plate and so far so good. Getting s98 q100 on all channels (except 55). I will have a play with the faceplate at the weekend.
Ironically during all this testing, I have been trying to record shows using the Samsung TV and an external HDD and have started getting failed recordings due to "scheduled time and program time do not match" :confused:
So now the other half has been saying should we just get Sky? :facepalm:
But thats a different story.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I have been trying to record shows using the Samsung TV and an external HDD and have started getting failed recordings due to "scheduled time and program time do not match"
So now the other half has been saying should we just get Sky?
No need for that. A proper Freeview PVR would work. Refurbished Set Top Boxes | Humax Direct are cheap enough? There are many alternatives and Humax have just brought out a new one.

What model of TV is it? Have you checked out Samsung help forums (or a master thread here for your model range)? Is there any options in the recording schedule menu to record in different ways?

Freeview, freesat and $ky all do a form of DVB Accurate Record, the successor to Programme Delivery Control on analogue teletext. This should record programmes under control of the broadcaster, so that message would be odd (most programmes transmitted have the scheduled and actual time different, very slightly usually, but sometimes markedly different).

To be frank, most TV recording systems are less than perfect. Many sets don't have twin tuners so you can't record something while watching another channel.

ash1942

Standard Member
No need for that. A proper Freeview PVR would work. Refurbished Set Top Boxes | Humax Direct are cheap enough? There are many alternatives and Humax have just brought out a new one.

What model of TV is it? Have you checked out Samsung help forums (or a master thread here for your model range)? Is there any options in the recording schedule menu to record in different ways?

Freeview, freesat and $ky all do a form of DVB Accurate Record, the successor to Programme Delivery Control on analogue teletext. This should record programmes under control of the broadcaster, so that message would be odd (most programmes transmitted have the scheduled and actual time different, very slightly usually, but sometimes markedly different).

To be frank, most TV recording systems are less than perfect. Many sets don't have twin tuners so you can't record something while watching another channel.
Yes the TV is only single tuner and the issue seems to only occur when in standby mode. If a recording starts when we are watching something it works fine. My guess is it is an issue with power management.
I’ve experienced Samsung software before and for some reason I’ve gone and bought another TV from them 🙃
I can remember having their Freesat recorder (SMT-S7800 High Definition Freesat Recorder with 500Gb HDD | Samsung Support UK) back in 2011 and that had issues with recording.
IMO they make decent hardware but their software is lousy. So in terms of getting support, I’m not going to bother. I’ve experienced their customer support.
I’ve had humax boxes in the past too, i always find them a bit slow at booting though (bit picky I know). I will see how I get on with the wall outlet and fine tuning the alignment of the aerial.

ash1942

Standard Member
I finally got around to checking behind the dodgy outlet. In my opinion it wasn’t a clean job.
Also the cable was entering the back box from the top and then bending around to connect to the face plate so I have rotated the face plate around to remove the bend.
I am now getting the same results on strength and quality as the other outlet.
I just need to fine tune the aerial position now to pick the few missing channels.
4111E354-BFC9-4A43-88E3-5C36F74ADA2D.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom