Guess what LCD Microsoft are using for their 360 pods ?

Doctor Hades said:
At the X05 show in Amsterdam, all the Xbox 360 games where playable on 32" Samsung LE-32R51B TVs. I even saw the dreaded tearing on the Project Gotham Racing 3 direct feed video that I downloaded that was taken at the show. Obviously Microsoft had TVs with the older version of the firmware because the tearing looked exactly as it did when my TV (LE-26R41BD) had the problem!

M$ must have done the deal with samsung because they are cheap, and not because of performance then.

Microsoft have a deal with Samsung for discounted HDTV units which it extends to all developers working on 360 projects.

crazzy kopite said:
I wanted to use my dvd player for component :(

Why not use the 360 ? It's has no fans (the 'old' xbox has), it's got 480p component output and a remote (included for free in first the months after launch).
There are even some rumours that it will upscale dvd's to 720p. Technically this should be no problem.

simonio said:
Cheers Frusty - i take it you would then send it through an amp of some sort?

On my current xbox I only use the optical output. It connects to my Kenwood surround amp. And that's the way it should be !
:thumbsup:

The only thing missing is a nice shiny new HD-television. But thx to the guys on this forum that problem should be solved in time for the holidays

bonc said:
if Microsoft are willing to be associated with the Samsung, that can only be good and a good indictment on the LCD screen!

regardless of sourcing costs/availability - quality would of been a major factor also, and the Samsung has it bucketloads! - component or VGA gameswise...

na na na, your just jealous it aint your set!

p.s Burnout revenge Ps2 component, amazing - pushes that screen real hard!!!
Yeah that must be it!! :lesson: Well here in Greece this Samsung model is available everywhere and you can find it for quite cheap.I found the 32'' model for 1370 euros but i opted to pay for the Hitachi LD32700 1980 euros and wait almost a month for it.

The Samsung model is a good set,however, and very popular (due to its price+features) but i don't think that it makes anybody jealous.Oh and the set is a bit ...ugly to :oops: be honest...

That's a funny logic...something costs 50% more so it is therefore better :nono: :nono: :nono:

Lets face it ... if it wasnt for Microsoft using these in their pods the 'tearing' issue would probably have never been sorted out!

I'm sure microsoft are using this screen because its the best and has nothing to do with any financial benefit or the fact that samsung are manufacturing some of the chips for the 360.

I must admit the pictures I have seen look great and the set looks nicer than the more expensive sets however it does only have 1 RGB scart and it does not have as many conections as the higher models.

crazzy kopite said:
I must admit the pictures I have seen look great and the set looks nicer than the more expensive sets however it does only have 1 RGB scart and it does not have as many conections as the higher models.

Maybe the case mate but why use scart on a screen as good as this ?

Surely you'd want to use component and HDMI before you start worrying about scart connections !

Are we still arguing about this!

3 magazines have put this screen to the top of the pile (I dont care much for reviews) BUT 3 have all found this a top notch screen!

This is one of the sexiest screens on the market at the moment - and I know sexy! (next you'll be tellling me them toshiba screens are sexier!!)

sounds to me like Microsoft are trying to associate themselves with the Samsung screens, not the other way round - :smashin: - LOL

bonc said:
Are we still arguing about this!

3 magazines have put this screen to the top of the pile (I dont care much for reviews) BUT 3 have all found this a top notch screen!

This is one of the sexiest screens on the market at the moment - and I know sexy! (next you'll be tellling me them toshiba screens are sexier!!)

sounds to me like Microsoft are trying to associate themselves with the Samsung screens, not the other way round - :smashin: - LOL

Why would MS want to associate themselves with a screen that cant do 720p properly out of the box?

tjradiohead said:
Why would MS want to associate themselves with a screen that cant do 720p properly out of the box?

You support spurs, you should know what " tounge in cheek means"!

I give up.

For all those who are reading this and might be prevented buying this screen because of trayheads comments, please bear in mind there is now a fix rectifying this widely known tearing problem.

Fact: Microsoft (xbox) are using Samsung LCDS to show their wares.
Fact: Microsoft and Samsung have come to a MUTUALLY beneficial agreement to make the above happen.
Fact: deal with it, get over it or better still buy a Playstation 3.

I rang a store on line can't remember which but he said he had the Samsung and the Hitachi side by side and could not tell the difference in picture. I might go for this set now and spend the money I saved on dvd's or xbox 360 games :). Just two questiouns if I keep taking the HDMI connection out from one machine and putting the other one in can it damage the conectors on the tv like it can do with scart pins?

My other questioun is can I use my PC on the LCD for example when surfing the net and playing games? If I can it means I can take this computer desk and monitor out of the room and it gives me more space.

Certainly can mate - streamed some lovely HD footage from my pc to the Sammy last via the VGA interface........it was rather stunning !

Still 3 awards, tie up with some small company called microsoft, cheap as chips......wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.....why would you when you can pay £600 more for a Panaripoff.

If you wondered why there is such a shortage of Samsung HDTVs then blame Microsoft because they had dozens at the Amsterdam X05 show and they're using hundreds more in the shop demo pods.

Having watched loads of videos from X05, mostly from GameSpot, I now know how good most of the launch games will look on my LE-26R41BD TV, i.e. bl**dy fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

Microsoft have been using Samsung stuff for some time now I think actually, they must have a big agreement with them. At EIEF, I played Halo 2 on a really old Samsung LCD - there was so much noise reduction, it was like being drunk - unplayable! It really shows how far the tech has come.

mjw123 said:
That's a funny logic...something costs 50% more so it is therefore better :nono: :nono: :nono:
Reading comprehension is not one of your strong points ,is it??

J.Glen said:
Reading comprehension is not one of your strong points ,is it??

I suppose that :lease: depends on how well :clap: the paragraph :hiya: in question :eek: was originally :rotfl: written :oops:

Frusty said:
Why not use the 360 ? It's has no fans (the 'old' xbox has), it's got 480p component output and a remote (included for free in first the months after launch).
There are even some rumours that it will upscale dvd's to 720p. Technically this should be no problem.

On my current xbox I only use the optical output. It connects to my Kenwood surround amp. And that's the way it should be !
:thumbsup:

The only thing missing is a nice shiny new HD-television. But thx to the guys on this forum that problem should be solved in time for the holidays

I'ld wait a few months before getting a xbox 360, rumour has it that the first will ship with standard DVD's but soon after they will start to ship with HD DVD's. MS will certainly not allow sony to take a steal with the blueray dvd in their machine that is for sure.

Slim

AudioSlim said:
I'ld wait a few months before getting a xbox 360, rumour has it that the first will ship with standard DVD's but soon after they will start to ship with HD DVD's. MS will certainly not allow sony to take a steal with the blueray dvd in their machine that is for sure.

Slim

IMHO you're being very optimistic. Apart from the fact that changing the type of drive in the 360 at a later date would be a bad move and alienate a lot of their customers it would mean making various software (audio, video, game etc. ) compatible with all 360's very difficult. Also if they were really worried about Sony and their blue ray technology then MS would have implemented something to counter act that from the beginning. In short it's not going to happen and MS will stick with standard DVD. Adding an HD DVD drive would also add to the cost of the 360 which is already quite high as it is.

phorenzik said:
Apparently, Samsung have some in-game advertising in Perfect Dark Zero. Joanna Dark has a Samsung branded PDA that she uses throughout the game.
There are Samsung advertising boards all over the sides of the tracks in PGR3, too.

:smashin:

Yes but think about it.

MS have openly said they have nothing set down for the future of the drive in the machine. They make a weak point about the hard drive being there plus point bit big film studios are on board for blueray already, warner + universal I believe. Anybody with a PS3 will be able to play HD films and that will be a major minus point for a xbox360.

The xbox vs ps2 thing really comes down to ability to mod the xbox to run media player etc but it only gives the xbox a slight lead ahead of a PS2 in my mind. Games wise they are pretty much equals, but MS allowing sony to get a snoop on the HD DVD thing would be a big setback.

Slim

AudioSlim said:
Yes but think about it.

MS have openly said they have nothing set down for the future of the drive in the machine. They make a weak point about the hard drive being there plus point bit big film studios are on board for blueray already, warner + universal I believe. Anybody with a PS3 will be able to play HD films and that will be a major minus point for a xbox360.

The xbox vs ps2 thing really comes down to ability to mod the xbox to run media player etc but it only gives the xbox a slight lead ahead of a PS2 in my mind. Games wise they are pretty much equals, but MS allowing sony to get a snoop on the HD DVD thing would be a big setback.

Slim

Samsung recently promised a dvd deck that played both BluRay and HD-DVD ( http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=8315 ) so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the drive MS was rumoured to put in a future version of the Xbox360.

AudioSlim said:
Yes but think about it.

Slim

There won't be a HD-dvd drive in the 360 for a long time. If (big IF) it happens, in 2 or 3 years, I'll probably buy a dedicated HD-DVD player.
It'll only be used for playing movies, I guess, because games have to run on each 360. So, for now, I'd be happy with an upscaling dvd-player

Besides, there aren't many HD-movies around, are there ? And there won't be for a long time to come. Hell, most people don't even have a HD-television yet.

btw,
There is a big difference between ps2 & xbox: it's called Live. But that's another discussion.

mjw123 said:
The best of course.........

sam.jpg

:thumbsup: wohoo, just ordered one :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom