Guess what? Another Denon 500 related question!!

S

Symey

Hi all, hope you are enjoying your weekend..

Couple of questions to ask if you dont mind!

I have a DHT500SD on the way which im looking forward to, i would like some advice if you can help at all:

Q:Im going to be sticking cables in walls and plasterinig over etc - can somebody recommend a speaker cable i can use instead of the denon that will stand the test of time and be fine for future similar systems? Naturally i dont want to be ripping my walls apart once finished so want to make the right decision first time round - Ive never bought speaker cable in my life so no idea on what to look at - i dont want any mega top end stuff but dont mind spending a few quid to ensure it will be ok Can somebody recommend / point me to a good seller??

Q: Can the speaker cable simply be plastered over once its sitting in its channel? Any probs with doing that?

Q: Would like to connect the Denon via component as i understand this is the best quality? Tat means i need seperate audio? IF so can somebody lend their expert opinion as to what cabes i should plump for?

Any help appreciated!!!

Many thanks in advance

Sy :hiya:

Symey,

Q1. Speaker cables. The cables that come with the Denon are really quite decent and wouldn't give you any problems over a long period of time. If you want, you can buy Oxygen Free (ish) cable which will not corrode in your lifetime! Try:
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SPC04.html

As usual with 'tvcables', their stuff is great value and amazing quality. Good guys.

Q2. Plaster over the speakers?? Don't think so....Is that what you mean?

Q3. Component is the best way to hook this up for DVD playback. It can then output Progressive Scan which is ideal for LCD's and Plasmas. I don't understand what you mean by needing separate cables for the audio? Let me explain. The Denon outputs pictures to the TV via component - the sound comes from the Denon. But this only applies to DVD playing and, as I said previously, you need a Progressive Display to make the best of this. You can output non Progressive too via component, but this has no real advantages over a good RGB scart connection.

For using the Denon for conventional TV sound reproduction you can use the scart feed to supply the sound. However this only works if your TV has two RGB scarts! The best alternative is to connect a phono cable between the TV and the Denon. Does your TV have a phono output? If not, then your set top box should have.

Confused? You wouldn't be the only one!

To summarize:
You'll need your speaker cable,
A component cable http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/CP001.html
A couple of good Scarts http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SC001.html
Phono to Phono http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH001.html

You might just need one scart if you already have a decent one for your Digital to TV connection.

Hope this helps!?

Jimmy

thanks for the info mate - with regard to the sound on the tv thru the denon - if i plug in component do i also plug in scart for the audio? if so will component take priority for video? or are phono (red & white?) cables perfectly fine to save wasting a scart socket? my tv has three scarts (two rgb)

You'll need fully wired scarts. Some scarts don't work for this.

Plug the Denon into Ext2. Via good quality Scart.
Digibox Into Ext1. Another good scart.

The Denon will pull down sound via the scart when 'TV' is selected on the function menu. (This should be set at Auto or Analogue.)

For the component connection the Denon will be supplying its own sound anyway, as you'll only be wanting to use component for DVD playback. If you want to have the TV play sound from the Denon then this'll be supplied via Scart.

It is, however, a good idea to connect Phonos to the Video in sockets on the Denon from your Digibox or from the TV itself, as this seems to give a slightly better SQ and better synch. Select these on the function menu as Video 1 or 2.

Jimmy

sounds like id be wasting a scart just for souond? sky s connected via scart rgb - if i were to run an optical cable bewtween the sky box and the denon would that supply the necc sound for all my tv viewing via sky?

best regs

sy

To get all the sound from whatever is being displayed on your tv just run phono cables from your tv to the Denon as Jimmy suggested.

If you want 5.1 sound from Sky+'s movie channels connect via optical cable. Optical sound is better than analogue so I prefer to listen via the optical cable, and if I should want to watch Freeview, analogue tuner or the PS2 I used the phono cable input.

thanks chaps - based on what youve said - i can just connect the phono cables and the ooptical - anything 5.1 will rouote through the optical?

hope that makes sense!!

cheers

Anything being transmitted via Sky will come down the optical cable so not just 5.1 sound.

Before you tear open the wall, have you thought of routing the cables along the skirting board? I picked up some cable ducting about 1/2" square that sticks onto the skirting board. The outer face unclips so you can slip the cable in and then you simply clip the cover back in place (okay, this takes about ten minutes and some swearing, but it's faster and less tricky than gouging out the plasterwork). Provided your skirting board is the same colour as the ducting (luckily ours is) then you barely notice it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom