Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Uruloke

Casimir Harlow said:
"With solid, deep, bottomless black levels to round things off, it's a fantastic presentation."
Did you get a different disc to me?

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
Casimir Harlow said:"With solid, deep, bottomless black levels to round things off, it's a fantastic presentation."
Looks like the HDR hasn't been detected there. Looks washed out. Bad light bleed too.
I also did find the blacks to be a bit lacking on first viewing, enough to double check HDR was on, that I wasn't watching the blu-ray and was initially a bit disappointed with the overall PQ.
On my LG E6 I ended up dialing brightness down from default 50 to 48/49, reducing contrast on the E6 and upping contrast on my Panasonic UB700 to +7. Improved the blacks and overall a much punchier picture. This was in a completely dark room (I turned off the bias light).

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Trouble with HDR is that I find I have to change settings for every film to get the best out of it. Although, I am a bit OCD with the settings.

wwwebber

Why are studios still using 2k intermediates ????. These UHDs are missing out on half of the available detail !!!. This film obviously looks good right now upscaled from 2k but surely these are missed opportunities ??.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Why are studios still using 2k intermediates ????. These UHDs are missing out on half of the available detail !!!. This film obviously looks good right now upscaled from 2k but surely these are missed opportunities ??.
The simple answer is time and money, especially on these effects heavy movies. Personally I think GotG Vol2 looks stunning on Ultra HD Blu-ray even with a 2K DI.

Mr Moo

If 2k is good enough for cinema projection, you do have to wonder why we're getting 4k in the home at all and not just HDR Blu-ray.

wwwebber

The simple answer is time and money, especially on these effects heavy movies. Personally I think GotG Vol2 looks stunning on Ultra HD Blu-ray even with a 2K DI.
I get that Steve and I'm looking forward to seeing it. However, I know there's more that they can do and I find it frustrating

Gambit1977

So so confused.

Everyone loves this film, but for me it just stunk. I enjoyed the first one, and Marvel/SciFi on the whole, but I hated every minute of it.

Mustiav

So so confused.

Everyone loves this film, but for me it just stunk. I enjoyed the first one, and Marvel/SciFi on the whole, but I hated every minute of it.
The first half was like a bad B movie. The script was so bad that the acting suffered as a result. The second half was much better as the action dominated the film and the visuals were lovely.

Gambit1977

The first half was like a bad B movie. The script was so bad that the acting suffered as a result. The second half was much better as the action dominated the film and the visuals were lovely.
I agree the second half was better.
I really struggled with the obvious sets, especially aboard Yondo's ship, that looked like the Red Dwarf recycled sets from The Force Awakens.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
So so confused.

It's an opinion forum and we all have different levels of enjoyment . I don't believe it's as good as the first outing but it does enough to still be an enjoyable romp.

Gambit1977

It's an opinion forum and we all have different levels of enjoyment . I don't believe it's as good as the first outing but it does enough to still be an enjoyable romp.
Yeah, I'm not judging anyone at all. I just couldn't believe how strongly I disliked it as everyone seems to really enjoy it.

yandybox

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'm not judging anyone at all. I just couldn't believe how strongly I disliked it as everyone seems to really enjoy it.
I like it, but the first time I saw it at the cinema I was a little disappointed, expectations vs reality I think. I have seen it about 5 times now and put it on par with the first one.
I'm not saying give it another chance as some highly rated movies just don't gel with me either even after 2 viewings.

raduv1

Distinguished Member

Quick and dirty here during daytime but it's not a disc problem , rather a display or setting problem your end :).
20170905_141629.jpg
20170905_142000.jpg

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Truth be told I'd of preferred Disney/Marvel to have released Volume One on UHD first as it's a cracker . But at least now we know it's coming.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I was thinking the exact same thing. Still, looks like people are gobbling these things up.

Oh, and I wish Disney would do one with their 'mid-terraced remixes' (TM).

Dixie4

I've watched twice all the way through & PQ wise & sound wise, it's top notch !

( On a side note, why are there so many rude, know it all's on blu ray. com ? There's at least two individual's that dominate & think they rule the roost !!! ) This forum has much nicer people on it. :)