Guarantee line speed

Bluedug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

we currently have sky broadband and unfortunately not able to get fibre to the house. So it’s copper from the exchange resulting in average speed of 35mbs.
I was looking to move away from sky as have had issues with the line and their contact channels of late have been terrible.

however sky will guarantee a speed of 25.4mbs and almost all other providers (BT, talktalk, etc) will only guarantee 18.4mbs. Anyone know why I see such a large % increase of guaranteed speed with sky, it all runs over the same line.

There shouldn't be a difference.

Put your data in there and it will tell you a handback speed, that's what the guaranteed speed is based on

Sorry if I'm being a touch pedantic but you're not on copper all the way from the exchange (adsl) - if you were then you wouldn't be getting > 24 Mbps. You're on FTTC, which is fibre from exchange to FTTC cabinet and then copper from PCP cabinet to your home.

There shouldn't be a difference.

Put your data in there and it will tell you a handback speed, that's what the guaranteed speed is based on

Thank you for this, it wouldn’t work with my phone line but address details provides the following.
F652561C-CF13-43CB-855C-355C6AB6F7D2.png

So it looks like sky guarantee speed of 25.4mbs is reasonable. Why then do talktalk (and even BT) only guarantee 18.4 mbs? I tried to chat to someone from TalkTalk but all they could say is I don’t have superfast

Sorry if I'm being a touch pedantic but you're not on copper all the way from the exchange (adsl) - if you were then you wouldn't be getting > 24 Mbps. You're on FTTC, which is fibre from exchange to FTTC cabinet and then copper from PCP cabinet to your home.

thank you, quite correct!

I'm not sure it does change from time to time.

When you have a line if you run the BT broadband fixer (not sure if it's available with other providers). But when i've run it the figures update and it also shows a speed test and date when it was run.

Maybe the older providers have older data in their system?

Usually what happens is the speed you'll get is determined within a few days of using the network as it gets a stable line and sets the threshold.

Also if you post on the digitial spy forums, they have some pretty technical people around broadband who might have a better idea.

I'm not sure it does change from time to time.

When you have a line if you run the BT broadband fixer (not sure if it's available with other providers). But when i've run it the figures update and it also shows a speed test and date when it was run.

Maybe the older providers have older data in their system?

Usually what happens is the speed you'll get is determined within a few days of using the network as it gets a stable line and sets the threshold.

Thanks!
Sky has a speed checker and when I put my details in as if I was a new customer I get the 25.4 mbs guarantee.

I am just concerned with the speed guarantee (and your rational does make sense). But at these slow speeds being guaranteed almost 40% more is appealing!

I'm pretty sure you can cancel within 14 days so if you try Talk Talk and it's rubbish for whatever reason, you could cancel and give Sky a try. I'm almost 95% sure they'll provide almost identical speeds though.

Also, it could be that Sky believe your Line is a clean line and for some reason other providers believe your speed is impacted, meaning the wiring is less than ideal.

Both estimates are 2mbps below the represented speeds on the screenshot you sent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom