GU10s all now integrated units???

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've just got the quote in from my electrician for doing some lighting work in my house. He's told me that all GU10s they supply now are integratred units?

Is this everyone else's experience? He's said the units are guaranteed for 30k hours, and he's installed them in his house for a couple of years without a single lamp failing.

Now I've been out of the home improvement game for 4 or so years, but previously I had to buy lamps....just want to do a sanity check here!

They arent solely integrated units but since the advent of long life LEDs they are certainly very common

You pay your money and take your chance - with most integrated units you’ll replace the entire fitting if it fails, and even if that’s after 5 years or more you may not be able to get a matching replacement. So you may end up with either replacing the lot in one room or living with an non-matching fitting if and when you get a lamp failure.

A standard GU10 fitting with removable lamp is much easier to deal, as even if the exact make/model of lamp is unavailable when one fails it will be much less noticeable having a different lamp providing it’s a similar colour temperature and brightness.

I have not found any suppliers of sealed long life units that come close to their quoted lifespan and its becoming a big problem. Whole ceiling done in sealed units and one unit fails after 3 years. More often than not, that fit and finish is now discontinued. I advise clients if they want to go down this route, ensure that the electrician supplies at least 1/2 doz spares that you can put away safe for replacing failed units. Also be prepared that at some point you will have to replace them all. The cost benefit, IMHO is not warrantied by the aggravation further down the line.

I ran my electrical business for over 5 years after I semi retired. I fitted loads of sealed unit down lighters, mostly JCC.

Didn't have a problem, till my last year or two with issues. Then it was a pain in the bum. A particular JCC model/batch had problems. I had one customer, on my recommendation change all his MR16 downlights to these, and the whole lot failed one after the other. Luckily he registered them for an extended warranty, and they were replaced FOC by JCC & me. My wholesaler stopped supplying JCC products.

For the most part, if any led lamp is going to fail, it normally does very early in its life.

@Smurfin what unit has your electrician quoted for?

My sparky mate who has fitted probably thousands swears by Osram especially in high humidity areas like bathrooms and kitchens.

Personally, I've got a load of Hue smart bulbs in the kitchen for 4 years and cross fingers no issues yet. Just need to be aware they don't fit in a standard bell housing.

Thanks guys - my electrician is fitting Gu10s throughout, except in the kitchen where he's replacing existing fittings and the cut-out is different. Will get him to supply a couple of spare fittings should I have problems down the line.

Thanks guys - my electrician is fitting Gu10s throughout, except in the kitchen where he's replacing existing fittings and the cut-out is different. Will get him to supply a couple of spare fittings should I have problems down the line.
Do you know what manufacturers of lamps & cans he/she will be suppying?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom