• We are currently running a full reindex on the database following a problem yesterday morning (Thursday 5th December).
    This will take a few hours to complete and during this time, search results will be incomplete or non-existant. Apologies for the inconvenience.

GU10 Smart Colour Bulbs

Glen1977

I'm really hoping someone can give me a definitive answer!

Ok so i have 15 of these 'downlights' in my living room. They're just your standard bulb operated by one wall switch which you can either turn on, off or dim.
Now what i'd like is to replace some or all with the smart variety whether it's Hue, Lifx or similar. Problem for me is to replace all 15 with the decent brands it'll end up costing £6-700 which i can't justify for what in reality is a gimmick. So if i was to replace say 6 with the new smart versions i'd still have to have the other 9 older versions on too which defeats the object? Are there any recommendations of cheaper but still fully featured that i can look at? It's possible i could install 9 just white smart variery and 6 colour smart variety to keep costs down? Ideally still want to operate via app and Siri/Alexa/Google if possible.

Ayrton

I bought some Gledopto bulbs from Ali Express for about £15 each. They work just fine through the Phillips app (I have a hub), but I'm pretty sure - and you should check before buying if you don't have one - that they don't need a hub to work with Alexa or Google. The Philips app is handy though because it has some fancy display effects, and it is very easy to select a colour from a white, or separately a rainbow, palette.

I'm like you, I've got a kitchen diner with 15 downlights and didn't want the whole expense at once. I bought one, liked it, then bought four more to make a cross in the '9' end of the room. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. The first bulb I was very pleased with. The next four, I tried to re-order the same, and it wasn't clear which I had bought previously out of "30 degree" and "120 degree" options. I messaged the guy and he said I'd had 30, so that's what I bought.

I don't know if he was wrong about me ordering the 30 before. The second batch do look slightly different in the lens but give the same colour. What I have noticed now is that there is a 'spotlight' effect. It's bluer directly under the light and yellower around it. It's not a marked effect, but I'm not sure I like it. Subsequent research shows that the optimal angle for downlights is 45 degrees, this may explain it. It's quite possible the first one is the same, but I didn't notice whilst there were 8 other regular bulbs in the room. I don't know what a series of 120's would look like, but if 45 is optimal I wonder if they don't cast light far enough, because they need to spread it?

I probably haven't given you a definitive answer but I thought I'd share my findings. I will say this though - think about how much you really want colour, if you are looking to save money on a large number. I loved the idea of colour changes with (for instance) music, but we've played with it half a dozen times and largely not bothered. The colour aspect might just be an expensive toy, quickly discarded.

I've just been back to the site and I've found practically the same bulb where you aren't asked what angle you want. I wonder if that is what I bought previously after all?

Last edited:

mushii

Bang for your buck, the Hue colour GU10s are particularly disappointing. Even the Gen 2 bulbs are not that inspiring compared to their other products. Just sayin’

Glen1977

I bought some Gledopto bulbs from Ali Express for about £15 each. They work just fine through the Phillips app (I have a hub), but I think - and you should check before buying if you don't have one - that they don't need a hub to work with Alexa or Google. The Philips app is handy though because it has some fancy display effects, and it is very easy to select a colour from a white, or separately a rainbow, palette.

I'm like you, I've got a kitchen diner with 15 downlights and didn't want the whole expense at once. I bought one, liked it, then bought four more to make a cross in the '9' end of the room. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. The first bulb I was very pleased with. The next four, I tried to re-order the same, and it wasn't clear which I had bought previously out of "30 degree" and "120 degree" options. I messaged the guy and he said I'd had 30, so that's what I bought.

I don't know if he was wrong about me ordering the 30 before. The second batch do look slightly different in the lens but give the same colour. What I have noticed now is that there is a 'spotlight' effect. It's bluer directly under the light and yellower around it. It's not a marked effect, but I'm not sure I like it. Subsequent research shows that the optimal angle for downlights is 45 degrees, this may explain it. It's quite possible the first one is the same, but I didn't notice whilst there were 8 other regular bulbs in the room. I don't know what a series of 120's would look like, but if 45 is optimal I wonder if they don't cast light far enough, because they need to spread it?

I probably haven't given you a definitive answer but I thought I'd share my findings. I will say this though - think about how much you really want colour, if you are looking to save money on a large number. I loved the idea of colour changes with (for instance) music, but we've played with it half a dozen times and largely not bothered. The colour aspect might just be an expensive toy, quickly discarded.

Thanks for the information it’s handy to know. I just like the options of colour depending on moods. Does anyone know if these particular lights can sync with what’s on TV? I was thinking of getting 2 x Hue Go’s as apparently they do sync via various apps which could be cool. I may well also just buy 1 GU10 bulb to ‘test the waters’.

Ayrton

Look at point three in the Features section of the second link I posted. It gives two links showing how to sync. I haven't tried this myself.

Ayrton

You're right though, I've just switched on 'savanna sunset' and it is very nice. We're getting some sort of home hub, maybe we will make better use when the app doesn't need a phone to get hold of it.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Personally I don’t rate colour in gu10 downlighters. I don’t think it’s luxurious and find it tacky.

Colour is much better when it’s diffused, like in wall washers or uplighters. Or in standing lamps.

Ambience white works well in GU10 as it has an incredible range of dimming and colour temperature.

Philips hue is by far the best light source in my experience. You simply don’t get the same quality of light with the others.

Top Bottom