1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GU10 LED based bulbs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by sean.pittaway, Jan 18, 2005.

1. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been toying with the above for a while now...

I use spots forbackground lighting in the living room which also houses my projector (use low wattage ones in the bedroom as well as reading lights) all are dimable, but the heat/power usage is a bit of a putoff.

Led based ones sounded great on paper (low power/heat) but i am getting conficlting advice about diming/whiteness...

I poped into focus last night and picked up the white led gu10 and it worked - but in no way, shape or form could it honestly be called white, bright blue seems more acurate :)

Anyway, does anyone on here use them and can anyone recomend any white ones or higher output ones?

Cheers, sean.

2. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using the Focus white LED bulbs as well for the last couple of weeks for the very same reasons as you, low power and heat output - are you sure you picked up the white ones? ;) ;)

The bulbs aren't that bad. However, they are a 'purer' whiter light than I've used before with just a hint of a bluish tinge (not bright blue, though!), as all 'white' LED bulbs that I've seen have been advertised as - maybe it's taking you just a little bit of time to adjust from the orange/yellow glow of standard halogen/filament bulbs? The only problem I have with the Focus bulbs is they're not that bright (although very reasonably priced and dimmable too!), so I'll be looking for some suitable replacements as well (may not wait 50000 hours for them to burn out, though :laugh: :laugh: )

I know that Maplins have white LED GU10's in store at £15 each :eek: :eek: The only thing I can suggest is to try a couple and see if they meet your requirements - you can always take/send them back if they're not suitable.

3. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would second that. The focus ones are not very bright.
    I think they are best used as low background lights

Make sure you picked up the white as they do have bright blue and yellow as well and its very easy to pick the wrong one up

4. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean,

Thanks for the warning about the blue-ish colour......

I was thinking of trying these when I finally get round to finishing off the living room.

Mark

5. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Has anyone comfirmed the the watts usage of these as i want to use them with an x10 system so need a load of 60 watts over 12 lights at present im pulling 600 watts with halogens

6. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll struggle to get 60watts over 12 bulbs - the whole point of LEDs is that they are extremely efficient and consume very little energy.

The Ring bulbs stocked by Focus are rated at 0.7 watts each. The 'warm white' ones from UltraLED are rated at 4 watts each, which is the highest I've seen so far.

7. kronenbourg316

kronenbourg316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i work in an electrical retail shop and i can buy GU10 led`s for about £3.50 each , we knock em out for £6.95 each

8. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any further info you can supply us with?
    Wattage?
    Light Output? etc :lease:

It's nice to hear you're making a profit selling them, though. :laugh: :laugh:

9. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is a popular misconception. If you actually compare the power consumption vs light output, the current ultra bright LED's are not very efficient at all, barely any better than a halogen light. They do however offer a very white and diffuse light so lower outputs can provide more effective illumination than incandescent lamps.

10. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The box said white so that was good enuff for me :)

I will have a nosy on the bulb and see if it mention the colour there, because it was quite a bright blue colour!

Mark, When i was phoning around most of the companies selling them said theres were not dimmable, cant remeber if ultra was one of the ones i called - i phoned quite a few :)

11. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look on the side of the bulb it clearly states the colour.
    would not be the first time something was in the wrong box

12. chirpychips

chirpychips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used LED GU10 bulbs extensively in my home cinema - both for shellf lighting and floor lighting:

[​IMG][​IMG]

If you are interested - here are my home cinema consturction pics. Check out the links under "Dedicated Home Cinema"

Dedicated Home Cinema

13. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that's a home cinema!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Any info on the LED bulbs you can let us know about. e.g where you bought them from, do you like them, light output, cost etc. - you know, the usual things :) :)

14. chirpychips

chirpychips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sure,

The walkover lights are 9 blue LED based. Got them here. They are based on a 9 LED OSRAM module (30 000 hours life!!). They are only 1.2w per walkover light. They are bright enough to see where you are walking but you would need additional lighting for reading for example. But they are great for ambient/mood lighting and very cheap to run. You can daisy chain up to 16 lights on one 24V DC transformer.

For the spots I used low energy GU10 spotlights (15 LEDs, (50 000 hours life) at 1.8 watts per bulb. Again, I got them from TLC Direct. They are 240V (i.e., have built in transformers) so you don't have to use a separate low voltage transformer. I have used blue, green and red (but not white).

The only down side I found is that none of these forms of lighting are dimmable so I have had to program one of the Lutron GrafikEye circuits as on/off. But the great thing is you can leave them on all the time and they use hardly any electricity. They also run cold whiich means that you can have them installed close to DVDs/CDS on shelves without worrying about heat damage. I have found them to be reliable.

Hope that helps.

15. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I think white, bright GU10 LED bulbs that are dimmable as well are still a couple of years away at the moment. Never mind, I'll wait :D :D

16. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chirpy.... had a look at your web site - that's one very funky HC room you've got there :thumbsup:

If you want dimmable GU10s, try Focus DIY - they stock the Ring bulbs that can be dimmed...

Cheers,
    Mark

17. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's amazing how some threads go round and round in circles - the Ring bulbs available at Focus is where we started off in the first post :laugh: :laugh: