• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

GTX580 Sudden Overheating Issue

flaperise

Hi Guys,

I hope this is okay to post here,

today about 45 minutes into having the PC on I had RS Running Itunes in the background etc, All of a sudden the screen went black and the air fans went really noisy but only just one.

After removing both graphics card and CPU Cooler it switched back on, however while running speccy I noticed the GPU was creeping up to 80*C which would explain it.

It only just started doing this so I plugged the side case Air Fan that blows directly into the GFX Card into a different Fan Power socket and it's blowing air more harder.

But when I switch over to RS it starts to creep over to 75*C at Idle it sits at 45*C.

I just done a quick air compress clean but it's still hitting at 79*C. Here's the temps and also the current set up inside.

Temp Problem.jpg

PC1.jpg
PC2.jpg

PC3.jpg

PC4.jpg

Any suggestions?

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Well both the the 580 and the 2700k are getting on the older side, 2700k still be decent cpu but think id look at putting new paste on both the cpu and gpu and go from there.

Seen other thread about getting it off a guy from your work, when did you get it? how long was it running ok? 80c on the gpu should still be ok and them blower coolers do run bit hotter, i remember my old AMD 6870 blower often getting to 80c on auto fan profile even when new.

flaperise

Well both the the 580 and the 2700k are getting on the older side, 2700k still be decent cpu but think id look at putting new paste on both the cpu and gpu and go from there.

Seen other thread about getting it off a guy from your work, when did you get it? how long was it running ok? 80c on the gpu should still be ok and them blower coolers do run bit hotter, i remember my old AMD 6870 blower often getting to 80c on auto fan profile even when new.

I got this around late November early october of last year so not long, you may see from another thread about Not displaying any visual I had to give it a massive clean out, when you mention paste for the GPU where in the card can I place that? is it easy to do?

I was looking at some 1060 Graphics cards to pop in there which seem smaller than the GTX580 but my main concern also was the Motherboard... Will it support a newer I7 Processor?

Can't really find any 1070's or 80's for a decent price yet.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
I got this around late November early october of last year so not long, you may see from another thread about Not displaying any visual I had to give it a massive clean out, when you mention paste for the GPU where in the card can I place that? is it easy to do?

I was looking at some 1060 Graphics cards to pop in there which seem smaller than the GTX580 but my main concern also was the Motherboard... Will it support a newer I7 Processor?

Can't really find any 1070's or 80's for a decent price yet.

No it will only support socket LGA 1155 processors. The 2700k will be fine tho for an upgrade like a 1060.
Have not re done thermal paste on a gpu myself but seeing as the 580 is old it may need to be done, shouldn't be getting to anywhere near 80c while doing no gaming. look up removing cooler and applying new past on youtube but if fancy a new gpu soon id say the 2700k would be still good for a 1060 6GB and would be a huge upgrade.

flaperise

No it will only support socket LGA 1155 processors. The 2700k will be fine tho for an upgrade like a 1060.
Have not re done thermal paste on a gpu myself but seeing as the 580 is old it may need to be done, shouldn't be getting to anywhere near 80c while doing no gaming. look up removing cooler and applying new past on youtube but if fancy a new gpu soon id say the 2700k would be still good for a 1060 6GB and would be a huge upgrade.

The Graphics Card is currently at 38*C idle at the moment while on desktop, I noticed one of the fans keeps cutting out so may need replacing, It says they are a 12V so I can just order some new Corsair AF120 LED Red Quiet Edition High Airflow 120mm Fans. Only the side one but I don't think I can fit anymore in there due to the size of the cooler and lack of room to put it anywhere else.

What Processor would you recommend?

Also another Member on here said It can take a 1080, I know it's just down to Budget. So I presume I don't need to worry about updating the Motherboard just yet if it can take a new I7?

Last edited:

moonbeam120

The Graphics Card is currently at 38*C idle at the moment while on desktop, I noticed one of the fans keeps cutting out so may need replacing, It says they are a 12V so I can just order some new Corsair AF120 LED Red Quiet Edition High Airflow 120mm Fans. Only the side one but I don't think I can fit anymore in there due to the size of the cooler and lack of room to put it anywhere else.

What Processor would you recommend?

Also another Member on here said It can take a 1080, I know it's just down to Budget. So I presume I don't need to worry about updating the Motherboard just yet if it can take a new I7?

An i7 2700K is as good as it gets with your motherboard. They happily OC to 4.5 GHz with a decent cooler. As has been said before your CPU is good for a while yet.

The GTX580 is getting on for 7 years old. If it's been used heavily the fan could be on it's way out. Again as has been said before - remove the cooler, clean the GPU and reapply some fresh thermal paste. That should make a big difference (assuming the GPU fan is okay) although the 580s always ran pretty hot.

flaperise

An i7 2700K is as good as it gets with your motherboard. They happily OC to 4.5 GHz with a decent cooler. As has been said before your CPU is good for a while yet.

The GTX580 is getting on for 7 years old. If it's been used heavily the fan could be on it's way out. Again as has been said before - remove the cooler, clean the GPU and reapply some fresh thermal paste. That should make a big difference (assuming the GPU fan is okay) although the 580s always ran pretty hot.

Took the Graphics Card apart today, was some dust in there and the previous Paste had gone hard, Only had a little left and at the moment it sits between 80*C and 82*C as I didn't have enough, will get some more over the weekend.

I did noticed that some of the plastic where the Heatsink sits as burned it probably long before I had it.

I do need to sort the wiring out in it but I deffo think a new case is in order.

Also how easy or hard is it to go water cooled? Thinking of heading down that direction.

moonbeam120

Took the Graphics Card apart today, was some dust in there and the previous Paste had gone hard, Only had a little left and at the moment it sits between 80*C and 82*C as I didn't have enough, will get some more over the weekend.

I did noticed that some of the plastic where the Heatsink sits as burned it probably long before I had it.

I do need to sort the wiring out in it but I deffo think a new case is in order.

Also how easy or hard is it to go water cooled? Thinking of heading down that direction.

You don't need much TP and 80 degrees is not unusual for that card. Over time the plastic will scorch at those temperatures and would be expected. It sounds like it might be best to replace the GPU.

You shouldn't really be thinking about going the water cooling route unless you go for a AIO CPU cooler. It's not for the novice. If things go wrong they tend to be catastrophic and expensive to put right.

Get a 6GB GTX1060 GPU (new or second hand) and enjoy gaming with the decent gaming PC you have.

flaperise

You don't need much TP and 80 degrees is not unusual for that card. Over time the plastic will scorch at those temperatures and would be expected. It sounds like it might be best to replace the GPU.

You shouldn't really be thinking about going the water cooling route unless you go for a AIO CPU cooler. It's not for the novice. If things go wrong they tend to be catastrophic and expensive to put right.

Get a 6GB GTX1060 GPU (new or second hand) and enjoy gaming with the decent gaming PC you have.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, cheers for that. Another member on the other thread I posted said there isn't much point upgrading this one, or even put all the components from this one into a new case and upgrade bit by bit.

the CPU is the max you can get for this Mobo and he made a point if the PSU messed up, I think it's roughly around 2011 - 2012 but I don't think it's been used for a little while.

He also stated It would need new Ram as well. It's the route I want to go down but I can't afford to get it all at once hence the doing it bit by bit.

It's a Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

moonbeam120

You can't really upgrade your current build effectively - other than adding a SSD or GPU.

Some members on here are very happy to have you spend loads of dosh to upgrade or buy a new system because that is what they do, which in my view isn't always necessary. I like to think I'm a saner voice on this forum.

I still run my 2011/12 built i7 2600k in the same mobo as you, with a GTX580 GPU as a NAS/media server. I can still game on it (all be it at lower settings) and it works flawlessly.

My main rig is a 2015 built i7 5820k, X99 rig with a GTX980Ti GPU. I have no desire or need to upgrade at this time, as I can play most of the games I play at high or ultra settings on an 3440 x 1440 ultra wide monitor @ 60Hz, which is fine for me.

The latest systems use DDR4 RAM, where as yours uses DDR3 RAM. However 16GB of ram is plenty even by todays standards. You might even be able to overclock it to 1600MHz.

That is a decent PSU and should be good for a couple years or more yet. So don't panic yourself into a upgrade. Save the pennies over the next year or two and do a full system upgrade when you need to and can afford it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom