GTX570 or GTX580 (Is It Worth It) for a HTPC?

Hello Again!

I recently acquired a MSI GTX570 OC and have decided to use that in my HTPC, although its not in there just yet, now I might have a GTX580 in my sights!

So in regards to Gaming at lets face it 1080p, would a GTX580 make any sense or should I save my pennies and stick with the GTX570, this is a HTPC after all?

The GTX580 should fit into my case, the GPU seems to be at 26.8cm long, the case can take a GPU just a bit longer than that, not much room but sufficient enough would you not say to do the job and not over-heat?

In terms of fans, there's 2 Noctua 120mm's in the back (taken from my U12 SE), the Core i7 CPU is cooled by a Corsair H50 (I might have an issue of keeping this installed with GTX580, will see when the time comes to installing the GTX570 to get an idea). Could always install the Akasa Apache's I have instead taking out the Noctuas if those cool better?

Now will the BGT3595 I have installed in the motherboard be affected by the GTX GPU's (either), I don't want it becoming fried!

Thats the few Q's I can think of now, if there's anything else I'll ask later on today!

Thank You!

Last edited:
Morning...

icstm

OK, so firstly be aware that these "top end" cards, certainly from a gaming perspective have issues (cannot handle) HD audio.

2 - 1080p is (I think strangely) considered almost low-def for PC gaming. OK, not quite, but is mid-range resolution, so both cards handle this with ease.

3 - if is it pennies, then go with the 580, if it is pounds, then go with the 570!

4 - what is the concern with the TV card?

OK, so firstly be aware that these "top end" cards, certainly from a gaming perspective have issues (cannot handle) HD audio.

2 - 1080p is (I think strangely) considered almost low-def for PC gaming. OK, not quite, but is mid-range resolution, so both cards handle this with ease.

3 - if is it pennies, then go with the 580, if it is pounds, then go with the 570!

4 - what is the concern with the TV card?

Thanks for the reply mate.

Now, I've a few Q's for YOU!

What other issues are there with these GPU's?
That is apart from the HD Audio you mention?
I presume they do output some form of audio via the Mini HDMI port? I'd need this definitely!

What FPS can I expect with the GTX570 or GTX580 at 1080p, as it is it'll be used with my LCD only, after all it is a HTPC in the lounge! I Recollect there being mention of 60FPS as being a key figure somewhere, I guess its to do with the LCD frame rate etc?

When I said pennies wasn't literally talking pennies, if there was a deal like that I'd bite off the arm mate! We're talking about £75 difference hence the question will there be much of a difference in the FPS and obviously apart from the power usage thus leccy bill!

In terms of my TV Tuner I'm using a BGT3595, its installed in an Asus mATX Rampage II Gene (x58), so am limited in the slots available and as a result the GTX GPU (either) will be alongside it, the GPU fan won't be completely hindered by the Tuner, just asking if this is going to have a problem on the GPU or the Tuner in the long run, especially given the heat that can come off the GTX's. I presume the GTX sucks in air and expels out the back?

Thanks.

My case has a positive air flow effect, 2 120mm Noctua fans sucking in, with one mount taken up by the H50 for the CPU (BTW, its a Core i7 920).

You need anything else cleared up, please ask and I'll try explain as clearly as possible, thanks.

Appreciate your words and help.

Last edited:

icstm

A little hidden gem that might help is Tom's site. Click previous page for the 570's position in the list.
It is an eye opener if you have not read it before!
You will see that the 580 is talked about very well, but the 570 will work for you.
Not sure about LCD tellies, I would have thought that for most TVs, 50Hz is the magic number (eg mains power AC freq). So 50FPS would be good.

The minimum frame rate ever experienced in a game should be 30 FPS. So somewhere around 50 should be fine for an average.

Most games that I know would run above 80FPS with those cards!

Temps will be fine the chip temp is much higher than the surround board temp, let alone the heat transfered to other components, so as long as there is air flow, your TV card will be fine.

And yes, audio via the HDMI is possible, just not HD, at least not yet. I have an ATI card (or AMD) so am less clear on what went wrong. the ATI all support HD audio now.

wolvers

Distinguished Member
The 580 will cost you more but will last longer before being outdated and will do HD audio bitstreaming. Also, I believe that the 580s have better power circuitry so can be overvolted more to achieve higher clocks, if that should interest you. Having more power also gives you more scope to go 3d gaming, again if that should interest you.

The 570 is cheaper but is plenty fast enough for 1080p with 90%+ of games. If you already have one, what's got you thinking of changing your mind so soon?

@icstm:

Thanks mate, appreciate your reply, has cleared up quite a bit, am happy with the purchase hearing that, will have a look at Tom's guide!

Thanks again.

The 580 will cost you more but will last longer before being outdated and will do HD audio bitstreaming. Also, I believe that the 580s have better power circuitry so can be overvolted more to achieve higher clocks, if that should interest you. Having more power also gives you more scope to go 3d gaming, again if that should interest you.

The 570 is cheaper but is plenty fast enough for 1080p with 90%+ of games. If you already have one, what's got you thinking of changing your mind so soon?

Didn't know the GTX580 had HD audio bitstreaming, thought it was just the GTX560Ti?

I don't OC but I'm not ruling it out for some reason, especially after Razor's explanation on how to OC a GPU in one of the threads a while ago. Will look for it sometime once I've rebuilt the rig and posted a thread of the build!

The reason for the change? Well I dont really know, just want more FPS, more power, so everything looks stunning during gameplay or Blu playback to TV viewing, thanks.

Any idea on how Nvidia GPU's compare to AMD ones when it comes to TV viewing?

Thanks again Wolvers for your help.

wolvers

Distinguished Member
My bad, you're absolutely correct it's the 560 that does bitstreaming. :oops: Sorry pal I knew that as well! :blush:

My bad, you're absolutely correct it's the 560 that does bitstreaming. :oops: Sorry pal I knew that as well! :blush:

Ah c... I'm back to square ONE, anyway, it's still a GTX580, can't complain can I? Well on the power usage!

Was sure it was the GTX560Ti, just like the GTX460 but when you said GTX580, I thought maybe with it being their top product prior to the release of the GTX590!

Thanks mate, you're always at hand to help, appreciate it.

Keep well.

icstm

Yeah, that was what I was saying earlier, their top cards did not support HD audio.
Though many rumours state that a driver update might fix this.

The 560Ti is the nVidia gaming HPTC card of choice. But I went AMD, and then went cheap(er).

I know, you'd think so wouldn't you. :suicide: That's probably what threw me for a moment, well that's the excuse I'm going with anyway. :rolleyes:

Thats the way mate, stick to it, LOL.

Yeah, that was what I was saying earlier, their top cards did not support HD audio.
Though many rumours state that a driver update might fix this.

The 560Ti is the nVidia gaming HPTC card of choice. But I went AMD, and then went cheap(er).

Surprised really, the top end card doesn't have all the features one of the lower ones does.

icstm

I might be completed wrong (as I have not read ANYTHING on this for about a year), but I think it is how audio is delivered on these cards.

It is a bit like MoBos. The audio is on a seperate chip (or logical part of the chip, if it is on the same die). ATI orginially used Realtek for example.

So in designing these cards, they may have had problems combing the two w/o impacting their gfx performance.

Either that, or they are looking at ways to design their own audio elements, within the GPU itself. After all it is all just DSP.

Gents, might be going with the GTX580, will know in a few days if funds allow, hmmmmm!

purenitro

:D Nooooooo get a GTX590! :devil:
I wish I had got a 580 instead of 570 but it is £100 more expensive, but saying that the 570 runs everything at max no probs so was I right in saving the money?

:D Nooooooo get a GTX590! :devil:
I wish I had got a 580 instead of 570 but it is £100 more expensive, but saying that the 570 runs everything at max no probs so was I right in saving the money?

If only I could afford one the GTX590's! Could buy myself a new rig for that LOL!

Have the GTX570, ATM I keep shooting myself in the foot, have had too many GPU's over the last few months, went for the GTX580 to slap myself awake so I wouldn't buy anytihng else for a while, especially as it wouldn't make sense in the performance upgrade over GPU's to come in a year!

Now, anyone know what the TDP of the GTX580 is? Don't want it getting toasty in the GD04B!

Its on its way, YAY.

I will definitely get my thread up now!

This is my HTPC:

Case: Silverstone GD04B
CPU: Core i7 920 OEM (May Go With a Core i5 SB as I've the RAM and MSI H67 Board, Just No CPU ATM)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
M/B: Asus Rampage II Gene
RAM: OCZ Reapers 3Gb PC3-15000 (1866MHz) (Did have some Blades 6Gb, one stick is dead and I've not got around to RMA)
GPU: EVGA GTX580 1.5Gb GDDR5
TV Tuner: BlackGold BGT3595
ODD: LG Bluray Burner & HD-DVD ROM
HDD: Western Digital Black 640Gb & Western Digital 1.5Tb Green
SSD: Corsair F80 80Gb
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Peripherals: Philips MCE Remote/Receiver (The White One) and a Logitech Dinovo Mini!

Once this build is done, it'll be the only rig I have left, everything else has been sold or taken by the family, plus I don't really use the rig as much as I use to, this will keep the family happy, their the gamers, I just LOVE building the things!

I've just priced it up, didn't know I had spent that much, better not tell the family!

Although it puts my AV kit to shame, thats very basic, none of the high end gear you see hear! Not even mid-range to be truthful LOL.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom