GTS250 Any good?

bryngreen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey, im just starting to gather components together to build my first PC, im wondering would this be a good graphics card to go with? Just seen it on hotdeals for £54 which is as far as I can tell a bargain, the motherboard I've bought isn't SLI so I'm just looking for a good single GPU. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Just to add, the other option i am considering is picking up a second hand 9800GX2, theres 2 on ebay at the moment at about £105 inc delivery, but seeing as I'm new to this whole thing I don't have the best idea, I also have a relatively limited budget unfortunately! Just looking for the best bang for buck I guess (who isn't!).

Hey mate, the GTS250 is a repackaged 9800GTX+ which should run most games you throw at it with ease, probably only Crysis, GTA4, Arma2 or games with that type of graphics will give you some difficulty if your using high settings.

The power of your card tends to be dependant on the size of the display you intend on using. Basically, the higher the resolution, the better the card you will need to max the settings on games.

A GTS250 is approx somewhere around 4850-range so it's a fairly mid-mid/high range card.

For £54 it is a bargain tbh, so go for it if you can. :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks alot :) Another option I've recently considered is a HD4870x2 or hd4850x2 off ebay or something, as now you've pointed out it depends on the display im using, as i'll probably be connecting the whole system up to my hdtv, which is 42" 1080p, so I assume I'll need something pretty powerful to make sure it displays properly?

Thanks alot :) Another option I've recently considered is a HD4870x2 or hd4850x2 off ebay or something, as now you've pointed out it depends on the display im using, as i'll probably be connecting the whole system up to my hdtv, which is 42" 1080p, so I assume I'll need something pretty powerful to make sure it displays properly?
Even a modest card in the <£50 range can display an image across a 1080p resolution, it becomes a different ball game though when you start gaming at higher resolutions as a more powerful card is then needed.

Whats your budget mate? There's quite a bit of difference between a GTS250 and 4870x2. A GTS250 can game at 1080p, albeit maybe not at high settings and would probably depend on the game also. The 4870x2 can easily game at 1080p with all the eye candy turned up, but make sure your PSU is up to it, its a dual GPU card and is power hungry. Its expensive too and quite hard to find these days, for the price mark you may be better off with something else for the money - 5850 perhaps?

It depends on your budget though :thumbsup:

Even a modest card in the <£50 range can display an image across a 1080p resolution, it becomes a different ball game though when you start gaming at higher resolutions as a more powerful card is then needed.

Whats your budget mate? There's quite a bit of difference between a GTS250 and 4870x2. A GTS250 can game at 1080p, albeit maybe not at high settings and would probably depend on the game also. The 4870x2 can easily game at 1080p with all the eye candy turned up, but make sure your PSU is up to it, its a dual GPU card and is power hungry. Its expensive too and quite hard to find these days, for the price mark you may be better off with something else for the money - 5850 perhaps?

It depends on your budget though :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Even 2x5770's CF will run things on high with all the bells and whilstles, although your probbaly talking about £250+ for 2 5770's.

Hey, im just starting to gather components together to build my first PC, im wondering would this be a good graphics card to go with? Just seen it on hotdeals for £54 which is as far as I can tell a bargain, the motherboard I've bought isn't SLI so I'm just looking for a good single GPU. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Be wary, the card on hotukdeals IS NOT the standard GTS250, and is underclocked a lot. Its really only a great deal if you run 2 together

Couldn't have said it better myself. Even 2x5770's CF will run things on high with all the bells and whilstles, although your probbaly talking about £250+ for 2 5770's.
I agree, though for £250+ I would settle for a 5870 :D

At that budget I would go for either a 5770 or 4890. The 5770 performs about the same as a 4870 plus you get the benefits of DX11 and lower power consumption. Go for the 4890 if you do not care for DX11 at the moment as its still a very good gaming card. Both will handle pretty much anything you throw at it, though the 4890 would be the more powerful card.

IMO, I would go for the 5770 at £135 from Scan:
Scan.co.uk: 11163-00-20R - 1GB Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X, PCI-E 2.1 (x16), 4800MHz GDDR5, GPU 860 MHz, DL DVI, Display Port,HDMI

Be wary, the card on hotukdeals IS NOT the standard GTS250, and is underclocked a lot. Its really only a great deal if you run 2 together

Top information - thanks. I currently run a 8600GT and am looking for a £60 replacement that will give me a reasonable boost. Seems like the bargain 4770 have all sold out now, so im a little at a loss what will give me at least twice my current 396 G3D rating ( PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts - Video Card Model List ) for this money. Will this underclocked card still be worthwhile considering?

Yeah i'm liking the price of this card, and it can be overclocked back up to the regular GTS 250 by the looks of it!

Would the Green GTS 250 be limited by my E4300 dual core processor (running at 3ghz)? Also have a good 700 watt PSU.
I haven't upgraded in quite a while, coming up for 2 years i think!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom