1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTR: The hardest racing game ever?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Munkey Boy, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    OK, so I know someone will mention Grand Prix Legends here (possibly even Richard Burns Rally), but I haven't played those, so I can't comment. All I can say is I downloaded the demo of GTR from their website and really enjoyed it, despite posting truly hideous lap times (I think 2.35 in semi-pro qualifying was the best I got so far in the 2.0 demo version at Spa).

The attention to detail in the game is tremendous, from actually being flagged for corner cutting to talking to your pit crew and planning proper race strategies, to actually using a professional telemetry tracker (so the literature says anyway) outside the game. It is deep, so don't expect to just have a 20 min go on it, but I'll guess when you put some time in you'll get a real rewarding experience. Oh, and don't even think about it without a steering wheel, preferably force-feedback.

For now, I notice there's a multiplayer option in the demo if anyone wants to embarrass me, but otherwise come Mar 11, I may just be tempted...interested to hear anyone elses opinions who knows about this kind of thing (or not as the case may be!).

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Not entirley sure the depth of play will suit me, and it will depend how much the different modes of play are taken to in the online races (arcade/semi-pro/simulation). I am hoping that this racing game will attract a lot more serious racers, than Toca Race Driver 2. This is the only other online racer i currently play, but it is often let down by far too many corner cutters and rammers etc, Also very few people host in the pro-simulation mode (best mode IMO). So we will see how GTR pans out online, but the online behaviour of others will ultimately be the decider for me.

btw - i will be buying this game :)

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    When I tried the demo and overcooked a corner and then had to cut it, I got a message from the pits that I'd been given a warning and my lap time wouldn't count. I don't know what happens to rammers yet, but by the looks of it if you don't play fair, you get a DNF :thumbsup:

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    that will be excellent - should get rid of the morons :smashin:

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes it is very hard I cant be bothered to master this one.

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Lorenzini - is your logitech wheel working properly? mine wants to accelerate all the time, which makes this game 5 times harder than it already is, any ideas.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Yeah works perfectly. Might either need an update on the drivers on your PC or just needs calibrating through Control Panel=>Game Controllers.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Update the drivers for what, i just plugged in the wheel and it worked. i have been into control panel and ran the calibration thing, and all went as it should, but ingame its weird, on the screen where you select the control type there is a blue line in the accelerate box even though i'm not touching it. :mad:

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    OK, sounds like the wheel is fine, just try adjusting the settings in GTR (resetting the controls in the config screen). The same happened to me, but once I redefined the controls, all was good.

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Nice, i'll give that a bash. should help me complete a full lap without crashing(maybe)

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Got the acceleration issues sorted, rang a 2:18:xxx lap time in Arcade in the Ferrari CS. Not tried semi-pro yet, maybe later.

12. noikz

noikz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've Been waiting for the full English release for what seems like an eternity now.

My copy arrived yesterday with the Momo Force wheel and I haven't been able to stop playing. :clap:

The default setups tend to cause a lot of understeer. A bit of tweaking helps that though. For a really tricky drive, try hard rain + all assistance off + a Viper. :devil:

Few screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i tried the demo of this and didn't like it tbh. its not my cup of tea as its to in depth for me. id never tweak anything id just rather race and not get far due to not tweaking. my level of messing is NFSU2 were i just mod a car :thumbsup: im sure this is paradise for lovers but im more of an acardey racer. give me PGR2,NFSU2,burnout 3 :D hey at least i gave it a try. i had loads of problems with my PS2 pad. i was accelerating down a straight and it was spinning out all the time :( probably needs a wheel to cope with the game well. the visuals are stunning though as id expect from a new pc game

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Well, I got it now, and I'm still rubbish - having massive understeer problems. Anyone any tips for a good set-up? Plus if anyone wants to go online for a race, I'd be interested...

15. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Ive been playing the Grand Prix series on the hardest levels with 100% race distances for years so Im quite looking forward to this ;)

When does the finished game come out??

16. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    it came out last friday. This might be of interest (thanks to a member on the official GTR forum).........[orginal post]

"For those of us that haven't pre-ordered, racing magazine AUTOSPORT has a £10 off voucher for GTR purchased via PC WORLD in this weeks issue"

joe

17. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    ooooh. Cheers for that.. I can get Autosport and the game £10 cheaper thanks to the PC World thats near by ;)