GtaV language

fidde78

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I need help, on my sons GTAV the language has been shifted to chinese and we dont know how to change it back to english, we have tried everything but it dont work.
Does anyone have any ideas what to do?
My son love the game but he cant play it now.
Please explain it like you talking to a child so I understand 😉
Thanks

can you not just uninstall it completely and reinstall it, likely it will allow you to choose the language as part of the installation process.

or this maybe - xbox is at the end of the page

I dont know if he can re install it, i think it is a game he brought online.
We have tried to change the language on the xbox but it is still chinese in the game and my son is so frustratied.

all games can be reinstalled - if he bought it online on the xbox it will appear in your games list if its installed or not. You own it forever. delete it and reinstall.

It probably pushes the settings up to the cloud and then downloads them back again upon reinstall, so I can understand that not working.

You'll presumably need to find the actual language setting - perhaps you can muddle through by following pictures of the game running with English language, although the text direction will be different in Chinese.

Or maybe try a mobile app that can read and translate Chinese (from the camera) to English (on the screen)? Techmoan sometimes uses such an app in his videos for reading Chinese manuals and controls without knowing the language.

We have tried that but there is no language setting that we can change in the game unfortantly.
So my son sitting with a game in chinese that he love to play and the language was in english before.

Have you tried this:

Xbox 360:

• Hold LB + RB while booting the game

I know its 360 but may work the same.

But as it says, it should be following your system language.

We have tried that but there is no language setting that we can change in the game unfortantly.
So my son sitting with a game in chinese that he love to play and the language was in english before.
Yeah, I just started the game to attempt some photos for you but couldn't find any setting to change the language. So presumably it's something external to the game. Check the settings for your console. You're not in China or using a VPN set to China are you?

Which console and which edition of the game do you have? There is now an Xbox Series X edition, in addition to the previous Xbox One and Xbox 360 editions.

We have tried LB and RB.
And we are not in china 😊
We live in sweden and he have had english on the game before and one day it was in chinese.
He had an xbox x and he had GTAV next gen, idont know what it is but he said that.
Have tried to change the system settings several times to. 😔

Perhaps you'll need to raise a ticket?

I have raised a ticket but nothing that they say have helped.

Maybe i should reset the whole console, but idont know what problems that would cause for my son if we do that.
He had many games and have come really far in the most of them and i am afraid that it will cause many problems for him?
And all the settings that he have in all games.

I think it is a dissaster that we cant change the language easy in this big game.

There are multiple country/region settings that could apply; probably a good idea to check them all although the most important one in this case is probably the console country/region setting (step 3 below):

Do you have an active Xbox Live Gold or Ultimate subscription? If so, as long as the console is an Xbox One or newer then game progress should be safely synchronised to the cloud, I think. However, you could still be in for a lot of re-downloading if you erase everything!

Is GTA V the only affected game? Do you know how it was purchased, on disc or digital licence, from the official Microsoft Store or a key seller? Has the console ever been modded in any way, i.e. are you sure that everything is legit?

Yes GTA is the only game that this has happend in, and as i said before it was english before.
My son had the game on disc first, then he brought an update on the console.
He has ultimate so he can play with friends and the console has never been modded or something like that.

10 april he brought something that calls: grand theft auto online to his game, but the problem starts month after that.

When buying games online, sometimes if you buy a game from say Singapore you need to go onto the Singapore Microsoft site to use the game code, I did this once and it downloaded a foreign version of a game, I changed my region back to the UK and started the download from the beginning and it downloaded in English.
You might want to make sure your Xbox is set to the correct region in order to download the correct game version, not sure if this is the problem but worth a go?

This game is not brought in another land, he brought it from the shop on the xbox

This game is not brought in another land, he brought it from the shop on the xbox
To confirm, you can buy games from different country stores and sometimes you need to change the Xbox region to download them.

Which version of Grand Theft Auto V is it? Is the very latest Series S/X remaster or the original GTA V for Xbox One?

PlayStation 4 or Xbox One:
  • The language in-game matches the console language and needs to be changed in the console's System Settings
If the console is already set to the correct region then you might need to do a factory reset and re-download the game after you've set the correct region and language.

Last edited:
We live in sweden and i think he have had the game on xbox one first and then we brought series x and he only logged in to his account and play the game.
Then we brought GTA online from the xbox and i dont think it was from a different country and he played the game and the last month it was changed to chinese text in the game.
I think he has the region in the xbox to sweden/europe because we live here.

If we do a factory reset will we LOSE something or will it come back when we log in with his xbox again???
Because he has brought many things in different games and idont want him to lose them.

My son even told me to leave the console to the store again so he can get a new one so he can play GTA that he loves so much to play😊 but it is 9 month since we brought it.

You should loose anything by resetting the Xbox but you need to make sure that it was recently connected to Xbox Live to syncronise.
As long as you have your login details to setup the console again, everything that you have purchased will be linked to the profile and you will able to re-download everything again.
Save games should be syncronised with the Cloud in Xbox Live and should re-download when you go back into them.
Xbox Cloud game saves
Xbox console reset

Last edited:
Oki, maybe we have to do that then.
But if everything is saved, should not this game been saved to, i mean with "chinese" language again when he start it again?

Do you think that Microsoft xbox could do anything to help me if i contact them?

I don't see how the game would remember any settings if the language is linked to the console settings.
You could try Microsoft support but they may refer you to Rockstar as they are the developer/publisher.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom