1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTA3 multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by alextgreen, Jan 8, 2003.

1. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Justt been brainstorming with my little bro what we'd like to see in a GTA3 (or 4, 5, 23 whatever) multiplayer. Need team play, that's an absolute must. Imagine 4 of you in a Taxi packing UZIs - would be such a riot. How about standing in the back of a pickup with a bazooka? Reliving the old Saab advert (chain of cars) sweeping through traffic.

Re-enacting some scenes from Taxi would be hilarious.

Anyone else dreamt about this?

2. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yes, that would be heaven. Moto bike GP's and way out wackey races.:D it would be carnage!:D

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That would be very good, im sure it will happen one day. Hopefully

4. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its not as if we havn't got the technology, even link up woud be just as good.:D

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    We don't have the technology, the netcode would be horrendous, you would have to strip out nearly all random occurances (seen as GTA is based on random occurances thats most the game stripped out!).

You have to remember that for multiplayer you have to send everything that occurs on one machine to another, given the amount of people walking around, types of cars, police etc. It would not be possible to do.

The only option would be to simply have a mostly bare city and you just fight one another, which in all likelyhood would be immensely dull!

Maybe in a couple of years when everyone has higher bandwidth (hopefully) and the developers have more tools at their disposal.

6. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats not really true. The original GTA was a blast playing on the net and that seemed to work fine (ok it was in 2D, but that was on a 56K modem). I think an Xbox live version would probably cope with the demands. Sadly thats not going to happen.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    The original GTA was mostly scripted though, things would happen at the same time (eg hari krishna dancers always in the same place). Plus the city was far smaller and had less traffic. With GTA 3 everything is randomised in terms of pedestrians and traffic.

I am not an expert on netcoding, but I do believe that if it was possible to incorporate multiplayer GTA 3/VC without heavy modifications to the gameplay then they would have done so.

I certainly look forward to a true Massive Multiplayer world like GTA, but currently I doubt it is possible, unless you want to start buying Super Computer servers! :)

8. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would be possible if you limited the amount of random events. This could be done probably without it becoming too noticable. I was talking to a friend of mine who works at Rage be about the possibilities of a GTA style game having online play, and whilst he's no expert on internet gaming he couldn't see why it wouldn't be possible with a bit of though put into the demands of bandwidth etc.

Anyway with GTA being a SONY exclusive for some years I think we'll have to wait a few years for the PS3 to be released and by then it will certainly as you say be a real possibility.

9. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If I upgraded all my machines to 2gig+, swapped the hub out for a 100base jobbie and ran a 3gig dedicated server programmed by the finest coder sknown to man I suppose it would be possible, just.

This is pretty much what was said when they launched the PC version. Only way I can see of doing it would be for one machine to manage all the random events and act as a server. I dread to think of the processing power it would require.

S*d technology for a minute, this would be the single most intense multiplayer experience of all time. Add a few Shenmue style buildings/places and we have a nerd's heaven.

10. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't they put in a feature that would allow you to disable random events on all machines except one 'host', the rest could take it's settings then?
    I don't know anything about programming games but I doubt if it would require much extra bandwith for the code that 'triggers' each individual random event.

11. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It would require a lot of bandwidth me thinks, not only does it need to convey random events but also the responses to them. I think you're right in that it would need to be a hosted game though. Maybe when we see 5gig PCs and gigabit networking...

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    The problem is the co-ordination of events.

GTA3 AFAIK only generates random events close to you, so it only processes what happens within a 100 metre radius of your character.

Obviously to run a whole city of denizens will require a lot of processing power.

Say you have a multiplayer game, then you have 2 players, the computer has to calculate two 100 metre radii, then it has to make sure that if the players come together they merge correctly. Then also if it is generating these random events and constantly updating the scenery, it also has to take into account the two players actions. This will require a lot of bandwidth, you are talking about say 10 cars on screen and 20 pedestrians, all of which are changing with the introduction of new cars and pedestrians plus the interaction either player can have.

The closest you get is an online RPG, where a central server contains the entire game world, however this relies on a huge amount of predictive code, and runs at a slower pace so that updates can occur every second, rather than for an action game every 10 milliseconds.

The netcode would be a nightmare, you could send one packet every 40ms, this may contain the information for upto 10 events say. You already have 30 events with just the cars and pedestrians (who are hardcoded into certain actions, easy life) then the permutation of events of the players, which is a huge mindfield. I don't know the mathematics involved, but just to think of what a player can do in GTA and send that many updates would be unbelievable.

Not possible at the moment, without a LAN connection and a super computer. I may be wrong :)

13. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm gonna say it is currently possible (assuming fast as fcuk computers all round) and with seriously well optimised code. It would have to be totally server orientated and on a very good, clean, dedicated 100base network.

Definitely not commercialy viable yet, only a handful of people would be able to play it.

14. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be possible maybe if they make the game MMORPG.
    BTW: Rockstar have announced that is going to make another GTA game for 2004.