1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTA: SA control settings

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Munkey Boy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Is it just me or have they made a bit of a pigs ear of the control settings for the PC version? I'm using the keyboard/mouse combination at the moment, and this throws up a couple of issues.

- When in combat, how do you target someone? At the moment I'm just right-clicking to bring up the crosshairs - is there a better way?
    - When driving, I find the keyboard does a not bad job, but it could be better. Is there any way I can set up my joystick (it won't let me have analogue accel/brake) or joypad just for driving (seems to exclude keyboard/mouse control once turned on) and then I go back to keyboard/mouse on foot?

How do people here have it set up?

2. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not a big fan of the setup either, it is annoying the way you have to switch to the arrows as well as the w/a/s/d to ride a bike, and the mouse looking system is awful, when i get out of a car i'm usually disorientated for about 15 seconds - just enough to be blown up if the car is on fire

it also took me ages to work out to press 'y' for a hooker, hehe

3. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use keyboard when on foot and then a joypad for in vehicals.
    The settings are set to keyboard and mouse. The joypad just overrides them automatically.
    Accel and brake aren't analogue but at least I can lean properly on the bike.

4. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with you, Lorenzini,

They have made a mess of the controls - Vice City seemed to be OK.

I personally use the cursor keys for everything, whether in car or on foot and the right mouse button for handbrake when in car, and for tragetting folks when on foot. This means however that I have to keep the mouse totally still when driving, otherwise the mouse movement will steer the car. I just can't get used to using the other setting - using the mouse to 'look' whilst driving.

Also to echo other comments, on exiting a car (particularly if on fire) I have to give the camera a second or two to 'zoom in' to CJ's point of view before I know which way the camera is facing. On several occasions this has resulted in 'roasted CJ'.

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I had problems configuring my Sidewinder2FF with GTA3 and VC.

Haven't got SA but I hoped they would have sorted it out.

Why, for instance in VC, did you have to switch between so many controls for the car, the bikes and that bloody rc helicopter.

I don't own a PS2 but when I played VC on a friends it was a breeze. I've played SA on his PS2 and the thought that the PC version still has this problem makes me wonder if I need the frustration.

6. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The mouse look while driving was annoying me when I first purchased the game, but after playing up untill 17% I can honestly say I could not do without it now. Once you get used to it it's very handy.

Stick with it and run through the ambulance & taxi side missions and you'll be 100% committed to using it for the rest of the game

7. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,297
    ------------
    so then what do you guys reckon

getting this for the PC or the xbox?

FWIW i have a mid range pc (barton 3000+, 1GB of dual channel 3200 ram & radeno 9600XT)

i am thinking xbox, going on what people are saying on the controlls.

(i also have a ps2, however judging on how much better GTA 3 & vice city was on the xbox over ps2 have rulled that out)

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,056
    Had the PS2 version and did wonder how the controls would work on the PC as they seemed quite complicated on the PS2 with the joypad, by the sounds of it, they haven't done a very good job.