GTA IV lag

Danny1221

Novice Member
Okay so I recently downloaded gta 4 and discovered on canirunit.com my processor wasn't good enough and was wondering if it's true as I've heard some people say they site isn't accurate.

I have an i3 550 and 3.20GHz and an amd radeon hd 6670 atm and I only get about 18 fps during game play with makes the game not worth playing. Soon I am planning to upgrade to an i5 processor though will this solve the problem? Also I've included a picture of my starting graphics settings before I change them, this leads me to believe the processor might truly be the problem.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130401_214547.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130401_214547.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 102

TheNameIsJambo

Even if you ran that console port on a farm of AMD cards, it would still lag.

It lagged on my 2600K @ 4.6GHz w/ an OC'd 6970.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Danny1221 said:
So you're saying its impossible to even reach a smooth 30 FPS on the pc version of the game?

Well you could always turn all the settings right down and see where that gets you.

Danny1221

Novice Member
Turning them right down works but then your losing out on one of e advantages of pc games and that's that the graphics are usually better than console :/

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
Turning them right down works but then your losing out on one of e advantages of pc games and that's that the graphics are usually better than console :/
If graphics are what your after then you need a better gpu...:thumbsup:

Danny1221

Novice Member
If graphics are what your after then you need a better gpu...:thumbsup:

I got a cheap graphics to break into pc gaming only had it since October but yeah I am considering upgrade but I don't know how far to go, was wondering if other people have problem playing the game though. And whether it was my GPU or my processor causing my problem.

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
Everyone suffers with the game mate, if you want to play it with your setup then lower the settings as mentioned and just enjoy it for the gameplay.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading as you'll have the same issue, upgrade when you feel your held back by all games :)

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
I got a cheap graphics to break into pc gaming only had it since October but yeah I am considering upgrade but I don't know how far to go, was wondering if other people have problem playing the game though. And whether it was my GPU or my processor causing my problem.
Id say both at 1080p the 6670 is a rubbish gpu for even 720p let alone 1080p..:(

Danny1221

Novice Member
I've played the game to 100% of xbox so would like to at least match an xbox for graphics :/ oh well guess if I can't I just can't.

hlpmeimdrowning

GTA IV is a poor PC port. Even with an expensive gpu it still needs tweaking to make it run decently. There are a few things you could try to get it running better (google GTA IV performance tweaks), but you're not going to get much of an improvement with your current card, unfortunately.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Firstly turn off vsync, and turn water to medium (there isnt really any apart from looking out to sea) and reflection and shadows medium as well.
If not good after that then it's res time so try 1280x720 as will help frames and still be way better than ps3 etc. And keep distance and other sliders about 35 or so.

But like others said GPU not really good enuf.

iainl7

I had the view distance slider all the way down to 20 when I was running on a similarly-powered machine. It still looked better than the 360 release. That's the one that kills you, far more than any of the other settings (apart from maybe water, which is a waste of time and energy when it looks awful even on the best setting).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom