GTA IV - Just a "taxi" game? Not for me i'm afraid.

Zarch

i've decided to flog my GTA4 in the classifieds.....

I played it for an hour and half last night and just couldn't get into it..... i was bored..... you just seem to drive around a lot and do crap things like picking people up in your car and taking them somewhere..... the fighting is crap with just a punch and a kick. i'm not sure how the game can get much better, i can only see it getting worse as you have to go further afield on the map. don't get me wrong, the scenery and the dynamics of the game are great with big maps etc and the music and sound etc

, but i'm sorry, its just not my cup of tea......

I've never played any of the GTA series, so i wasn't sure what to expect.

At the moment, it just seems like you are a taxi driver with very little else going on.

anyone else feel the same? What am i missing?

That bit where you pick that bird up and go bowling was the final straw for me.

RedAl

i've decided to flog my GTA4 in the classifieds.....

I played it for an hour and half last night and just couldn't get into it..... i was bored..... you just seem to drive around a lot and do crap things like picking people up in your car and taking them somewhere..... the fighting is crap with just a punch and a kick. i'm not sure how the game can get much better, i can only see it getting worse as you have to go further afield on the map. don't get me wrong, the scenery and the dynamics of the game are great with big maps etc and the music and sound etc

, but i'm sorry, its just not my cup of tea......

I've never played any of the GTA series, so i wasn't sure what to expect.

At the moment, it just seems like you are a taxi driver with very little else going on.

anyone else feel the same? What am i missing?

That bit where you pick that bird up and go bowling was the final straw for me.

Everyone`s entitled to their opinion mate and you shouldn`t have to apologise for it. Even so, you can`t judge a game of this depth on 90 minutes of play. It`d be like taking a ferrari for a test drive and driving 10 yards then getting out without taking it for a proper spin.

Just my two pennyworth!

rcaudwell

Sounds like me and Oblivion; everyone raves but I just couldn`t get into it at all. If it`s not to your taste it`s just not the game for you. Having said that the fighting etc does get much better once you`ve got some decent weapons. The story and main mission can get a touch repetitive, but there are loads of side missions and you can just roam round the city messing around also. If you`re someone who likes more structure to a game (kind of beginning, middle and end thing) then I can see where the main story could get a bit dull.
Each to there own I guess, loving it here, hooked from the first mission.

kav

Distinguished Member
You're certainly entitled to your opinion mate, but as Al mentioned, playing an hour of this game gives you nothing of the overall game - the nature of GTA games is that the first fifteen missions or so are simply tutorials for the rest of the game. In my opinion, you should give the game at least 10 hours play before you decide it isn't for you - it took at least 6 hours play to draw me into the world, and I am a die-hard GTA fan. :smashin:

Zarch

In my opinion, you should give the game at least 10 hours play before you decide it isn't for you - it took at least 6 hours play to draw me into the world, and I am a die-hard GTA fan. :smashin:

I'm not sure i could stick another 4 or so hours of it though to get to "good bits"........

spammy2505

Novice Member
I got this delivered at Lunch time yesturday, Played it for an hour and a half last night (Then Battlestar started), And I tought it was GRRRREAT, (Homage to Tony the Tiger).

I agree fully that it is a little slow and repetative at the start, but I feel that this has the sole purpouse of leading you slowly into the game and intruducing the main characters.

After just 90mins of play I am hooked, I will be playing tonight again as the wifey lady is working.... See if we can;t get us some GUNS !

Spamout:spam:

RedAl

I'm not sure i could stick another 4 or so hours of it though to get to "good bits"........

Thats fair enough but the longer you play it IMHO the more you get pulled into the story. At first, like you, I felt something was missing and didnt get that thrill I first did when playing Vice City & San Andreas but I`m now utterly hooked on the game, the story, the music, the mood of the different islands. There`s so many laugh out loud moments. Something funny happening on-screen, funny ped comments as you go past or funny shop names/billboards. The game is rich with minor details. This is a legend of a game but one that grows on you slowly. You`d really be denying yourself a gaming experience of a lifetime to get rid of this so soon but if its just not for you then so be it. Everyone has different tastes and I was the same with Halo. I`d never played any of the Halo games before and got caught up in the hype for Halo 3. on playing it I was left distinctly unimpressed and couldn`t understand what all the fuss was about.

Spidey987

Novice Member
The ironic thing is that this game is much less of a taxi game than it's prequels, in fact I kind of miss that aspect and I'm kicking myself that I didn't take advatage of working for Roman on the first island.

In fact, it's kind of screwed up that when you hit 100%, there really isn't going to be an opportunity to earn money outside of taking off the streets. But I guess that's a conversation not meant for this thread because GTA sucks or something.

CeeJay775

Novice Member
It takes a while to get going thats for sure, the missions and story really improve latter on. Also go online with a few friends you know, its brill:clap:. After that if you dont like it then, sell it. :)

Zarch

But I guess that's a conversation not meant for this thread because GTA sucks or something.

I never said it sucked Spidey, i just said i can't seem to get into it and its not for me.

I just can't see me driving rounds for hours on end occasionally interacting with someone. (apart from the running over pedestrians or crashing the car!!)

CeeJay775

Novice Member
I never said it sucked Spidey, i just said i can't seem to get into it and its not for me.

I just can't see me driving rounds for hours on end occasionally interacting with someone. (apart from the running over pedestrians or crashing the car!!)
No really, it so much improves latter where you drive for 5 minutes and fight for 30 minutes with some well thought out places to get into cover and use some tactics. As I say have a play online with some mates and the decide, add me if you like. :smashin:

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Sorry, but what's the purpose of this thread?

Surely you could have expressed your opinion in the User Reviews thread?

I dont mean to sound harsh or deny you your opinion but a whole thread just to say you've barely played the game and have decided to sell is a bit of a waste as it seems like you're set on your descision.

For the record though, you've barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer ;)

Zarch

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Haha, you know that's not what I meant.

I was just saying that this thread doesnt really add anything constructive to the forum... not that all threads should, but when there's already theads for the purpose of having a rant it seems a bit pointless, especially if you've already made your mind up.

:)

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I very rarely drive anywhere as im not too into the 10min journeys between some sections. I catch cabs everywhere and skip the journey, if you playing through the game and reloading when you die this wont actually end up costing you too much cash. Smart move by Rockstar giving you the choice of driving between A & B or catching cabs. I would honestly say that you should play up until you complete Vlads missions, after that the variety in the missions really steps up.

bubs999

I'm enjoying it at the moment. I have had a few annoying moments when something isn't going right. I do get very annoyed by the cut scenes when you go and meet people for the missions, I tend to skip them and sometimes miss important info.

Just found the helicopters and they are fun. Are you able to fly planes in this one?

One problem for me is the travelling from one point to another does get repetetive, especially when you go on dates, as the only restaurants I have unlocked are on the first Island and I;ve moved to the other Island.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Am i not allowed to vent and express my opinions? LOL.
[MOD COMMENT] No-one's opinions are supressed - just so long as personal insults aren't traded and it's all kept respectful. Just be aware that you're likely to get counter opinions to yours and you've made your opinion more visible than the rest by starting a new thread - if you want to keep a lower profile, I'd suggest carrying on the discussion in the "GTA - User Reviews -- Like/dislike something? Underwhelmed? Post here!" thread.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I'm enjoying it at the moment. I have had a few annoying moments when something isn't going right. I do get very annoyed by the cut scenes when you go and meet people for the missions, I tend to skip them and sometimes miss important info.

Just found the helicopters and they are fun. Are you able to fly planes in this one?

One problem for me is the travelling from one point to another does get repetetive, especially when you go on dates, as the only restaurants I have unlocked are on the first Island and I;ve moved to the other Island.

you can unlock the third island pretty quickly after the 2nd, so many restaurants and bars now on my map ! Seriously tho.....Taxis are the way to eliminate the journeys.

noisecrime

Have you,

1. Got drunk with Roman?
1a. Got drunk with Brucie?
1b. Got drunk with Packie?
- Each one gets funnier (IMHO) although has no progress in terms of the game/plotline. Its just a good laugh to do occasionally.
1c. Get a taxi ride when drunk?
1d. Try and drive when drunk?

2. Got a 1/2/3 star with the cops and escaped by driving?
3. Explored the environment?
4. Found a super jump?
5. Caused a traffic jam at a gas station and then blown it up (nice chain reaction on cars)
6. Got a race car and burned out down a road, weaving in and out of traffic
7. Stolen a car, but ended up with the original owner grabbing hold of the door and dragging them along?
8. Accessed the helicopters and try to fly beneath all the bridges in the game?
9. Accessed better weapons and caused mayhem on the streets?
10. Watched the extensive TV shows?
- The mens room, Republican Space Rangers, i'm Rich, History of LC
11. Listened to the chat radio?
12. Entered a LC race?
13. Deliberately or accidentally run over pedestrians?
14. Got in a boat?
15. Played/beaten the arcade game 'QUB3D', Darts, Pool?

None of those have anything to do with the main plot. My point? Generally GTA is about what you make it. The story is well written and constructed with some great characterizations (although it does lose its way occasionally) and entertaining to play, but the real fun comes from thinking of things to try and do in Liberty City.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Have to admit that the first few hours were quite boring but it does pick up and Nico is quite a likable character.

There is huge variety in what you can do, in multiplayer the other night we were doing the cadbury's ad, racing airport vehicles down the runway... :thumbsup:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Have you,

1. Got drunk with Roman?
1a. Got drunk with Brucie?
1b. Got drunk with Packie?
- Each one gets funnier (IMHO) although has no progress in terms of the game/plotline. Its just a good laugh to do occasionally.
1c. Get a taxi ride when drunk?
1d. Try and drive when drunk?

2. Got a 1/2/3 star with the cops and escaped by driving?
3. Explored the environment?
4. Found a super jump?
5. Caused a traffic jam at a gas station and then blown it up (nice chain reaction on cars)
6. Got a race car and burned out down a road, weaving in and out of traffic
7. Stolen a car, but ended up with the original owner grabbing hold of the door and dragging them along?
8. Accessed the helicopters and try to fly beneath all the bridges in the game?
9. Accessed better weapons and caused mayhem on the streets?
10. Watched the extensive TV shows?
- The mens room, Republican Space Rangers, i'm Rich, History of LC
11. Listened to the chat radio?
12. Entered a LC race?
13. Deliberately or accidentally run over pedestrians?
14. Got in a boat?
15. Played/beaten the arcade game 'QUB3D', Darts, Pool?

None of those have anything to do with the main plot. My point? Generally GTA is about what you make it. The story is well written and constructed with some great characterizations (although it does lose its way occasionally) and entertaining to play, but the real fun comes from thinking of things to try and do in Liberty City.

:clap:

D

Deleted member 380232

If this wasn't GTA I would have sold the game after a couple of hours play. Really didn't enjoy it the first night but went back the next day and then got hooked.

The first few missions are pap. Wait till you get to Three Leaf Clover :thumbsup:

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
What I dont really get is why anyone would buy a game called Grand Theft Auto, and then moan that there's too much driving in it.

I know everyone is different but driving around aimlessly is great fun as far as I'm concerned. It's a great way to check out the sights, discover the subtle stuff put in by the devs, discover jumps, packages, hidden items, hear funny conversations, listen to the radio, kill peds, and all sorts of other cool stuff.

It's good when on a misson too as there's the whole risk / reward thing of thrashing is vs going slow and steady to avoid crashing / cops. Sometimes it's fun to go with the flow of the traffic and others its fun to rip the arse of it flying through tiny gaps, avoiding other cars etc.

Having said all that, I'm a self-confessed GTA fanboy so I bought GTA IV knowing exactly what to expect. I do think the point of the game is lost on a lot of people who are new to the series though, but hey, that's their loss ;)

ohh_danielson

Distinguished Member
all id say mate is if you give up on this game after that amount of time its your loss. Try avoid missions for a little while break the game up a bit. Just roam around checking out the city, having the odd fight and watch the funny pedestrians crack you up. Feel the atmosphere if you like of the city .

Fighting gets alot better once you get hang of it. You can dodge then do a counter attack. Then when you get a gun use cover etc .

Im about 22% through the game and story is getting very juicy :) not just driving around but you eagerly await for the next part in the story :)

Id give it another go mate

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett