GTA IV Achievement help thread

guycoombs

Hey all, I thought I'd start this thread as like me I'm sure like me some of you are aiming to get the 1000/1000. So if anyone has any tips or help to get ourselves through to the 1000.

I'll make a start, anyone know how to go about getting the counter attack achievement? I don't have a clue what buttons to press to get this one?

reddevil63

Distinguished Member
Easy way to get Walk Free achievement - lose a 4 star wanted level

Go to airport and drive onto runway, you get instant 4 stars, then just escape police search area

rytonred

The dart one is the easiest on the game, as is the 8 ball.

I just got the 6 star 5 mins achievement, just drive to an island you ain't unlocked yet, then i'm sure you can last 5 mins!

Diskordian

For the One man army (6 wanted stars)- grab a chopper and fly around for 5 mins unitl the achievment unlocks or get a boat and go cruising out to sea for 5 mins :thumbsup:

kismet110

The dart one is the easiest on the game, as is the 8 ball.

I just got the 6 star 5 mins achievement, just drive to an island you ain't unlocked yet, then i'm sure you can last 5 mins!

Er, forgive my ignorance but how can you drive to an island that hasn't yet been unlocked, aren't the routes blocked?

reddevil63

Distinguished Member
Er, forgive my ignorance but how can you drive to an island that hasn't yet been unlocked, aren't the routes blocked?

I did by hopping on a moped, went onto train tracks, rode to unlocked island, went into a tunnel and just sat there til 5 mins past by.

noisecrime

I'll make a start, anyone know how to go about getting the counter attack achievement? I don't have a clue what buttons to press to get this one?

The counter attack is when you are in a fist fight and press 'A' at the correct time. I.e Press 'A' just as the opponent starts to swing their fist. If you time this right, you'll dodge (left or right or backwards) and avoid the punch. Immediately after you can counter with 2-3 quick presses of the 'B' button.

You have to perform this dodge/counter attack 10 times in four minutes. Which would be easy if it wasn't for the police spoiling your fun ;)

I eventually did it down by the fish market on the middle island, where there are 3 or 4 food stands dotted around the outside of this big building. I simply worked my way around the building attacking each food vendor i turn. Half way through I even bought a hotdog to replenish my health, before turning on the vendor ;) Just keep an eye out for the cops.

freshvein

Banned
Hey all, I thought I'd start this thread as like me I'm sure like me some of you are aiming to get the 1000/1000. So if anyone has any tips or help to get ourselves through to the 1000.

lock onto a target, attack them, as soon as they go to attack u press A to dodge then press B to counter attack, which will most likely finish them off so just run and find another target and repeat

Spidey987

To anyone who has completed the game, did you hit 500k and get the achievement and if so, did you get it easily or was it tight. I'm kinda worried that I've been spending too much money on hospital bills.

MANGABOY

To anyone who has completed the game, did you hit 500k and get the achievement and if so, did you get it easily or was it tight. I'm kinda worried that I've been spending too much money on hospital bills.

I got mine near the end. Theres a couple of missions which pay $250,000 each. One you have to do during the story anyway and the other you get a choice to do it. So when offered a choice in the story between cash and revenge, pick the cash route. The money you make from your other missions should easily cover any hospital or weapon bills

rytonred

Sorry bud, didn't explain that well at all, I jumped on a bike, and went towards the bridge, there you can easily fit through one of the gaps.

ROBIN50N

how will you get the kill a rockstar dev?

guycoombs

Well I've been after this one for awhile. While surfing I have found that rumor some of them play under the names RS NYC 01, through to 05. I around an hour ago I played 04, and 05 and killed them both on a ranked cops and crooks. Its seems this is a lie as I didn't get the achievement. This achievement is going to be very rare!

jason7579

I'm pretty sure that's a viral acheivement so if you play online fairly soon everyone will have it.

All it takes is for 1 person to kill the dev then 5 people to kill him, then 5 people to kill each of those 5 people etc. etc.

guycoombs

You have to be very good with your money. I didn't hit the achievement when completing the game. Now I've gone back to one of my old saves to save more money, as I'm trying to get it now.

ROBIN50N

Well I've been after this one for awhile. While surfing I have found that rumor some of them play under the names RS NYC 01, through to 05. I around an hour ago I played 04, and 05 and killed them both on a ranked cops and crooks. Its seems this is a lie as I didn't get the achievement. This achievement is going to be very rare!

where they any good.

guycoombs

Ah, just chatting to RS NYC 05. 5 Of them got xbox's to play online with. They are Rockstar devs, but they have been told that they are not allowed to play ranked matches for awhile till people have enjoyed the game in other ways. Its not a viral achievement, you will have to kill a dev to get it. I would add the guys while you can, 5 has spaces for sure. He said he was getting annoyed with people bothering him, and being nasty, so if you chat to him be nice!

Oh, I was mistaken the game I joined with them in wasn't a ranked match.

And, yes, they are good, but I got 2 kills on them so they can't be that good.

kav

Distinguished Member
Its not a viral achievement, you will have to kill a dev to get it.

:thumbsdow

Impossible achievements suck :censored:. Seriously, why would such a respected developer create an achievement that relies on nothing but blind luck to obtain?

Andy58

Find a road bridge over the subway system (look for train tracks below) and drive onto the tracks. head for the "locked" island through the tunnel and you'll get 6* eventually. Either stay put for 5 mins for an easy unlock (cops and helis won't come onto the tracks unless you're at a station) or drive along the tracks and exit at a station and try and stay alive. In any event you WON'T get wiped out by a train, the programming didn't extend to this. The trains only turn up if you wait properly at a station whilst on foot.

sam.i.am

How do you know if you are close to ranking up online?

Is it done by how much cash you've won? Or Kills? Or both? I'm trying to do the "Cut Your Teeth" (Earn a personal rank promotion in multiplayer) achievement.

ROBIN50N

Ah, just chatting to RS NYC 05. 5 Of them got xbox's to play online with. They are Rockstar devs, but they have been told that they are not allowed to play ranked matches for awhile till people have enjoyed the game in other ways. Its not a viral achievement, you will have to kill a dev to get it. I would add the guys while you can, 5 has spaces for sure. He said he was getting annoyed with people bothering him, and being nasty, so if you chat to him be nice!

Oh, I was mistaken the game I joined with them in wasn't a ranked match.

And, yes, they are good, but I got 2 kills on them so they can't be that good.

how did you end up in a game with them?

MANGABOY

How do you know if you are close to ranking up online?

Is it done by how much cash you've won? Or Kills? Or both? I'm trying to do the "Cut Your Teeth" (Earn a personal rank promotion in multiplayer) achievement.

Its cash. You need $2000 to get the achievement. i think it says somwhere when you join a lobby how much more you need. I just played 2 ranked games and got it

sam.i.am

Its cash. You need $2000 to get the achievement. i think it says somwhere when you join a lobby how much more you need. I just played 2 ranked games and got it

Cheers dude - I got it from one game of Turf War in the end!

BTW - Does anybody know who Sgt Crapgame is?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022