GT5 Tips on Setup and Play

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Sly Fly, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Not sure if you'll all agree, but I wondered if a thread about setup tips and perhaps playing tips would be a good idea.

There's a lot of decent information floating about and this could be a good place to collate them all, so people can scroll through one page picking up helpful info. For example, people may want to know how to set up their cheapy Maplin wireless wheel if they're stuck. How on earth does B-Spec work?

davidcharles, for example, has just posted somewhere else:

If anyone's interested, if you change the setting to "flicker reduction" from "normal" in the disply options, the game runs a lot smoother with less screen tear as well...

did for me anyway

-----

Feel free to contribute, or let this die a slow death to the bottom of the GT5 forum. :D

2. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    Watch out for crashes knackering your chassis. I didn't even notice this from the driving. I had a prat around in the garage menu and discovered it was knackered that way. It's not cheap to repair either!

3. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    NASCAR special events.

Traction Control is set to 5 as default, which limits your top end to approx 180mph. Events in the intermediate section require you to hit 190mph just to bag a bronze medal so knock the TC off before you even start.

4. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Licences

Just in case people haven't realised, when you have are done with a challenge within a licence (i.e. B-6), there is a button very near the exit button that will take you on to the next challenge (i.e. B-7) - rather than you having to click on exit, going back to the menu screen and selecting the next challenge...

5. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    Remember that you are rewarded with new cars for completing the license tests.

All Bronze = 1 prize car, All Silver = 2 prize cars, All Gold = 3 prize cars

they may be crap, but they're usually needed for the beginner events! The better the license, the better the prize car too.

Special events are a good way to earn some quick cash and xp in the early stages of your GT career.

6. Seque

Seque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Map the RA menu function buttons to your controller. I use triangle for the menu and then the d pad for navigation and changing settings.

When doing licenses, during the event press the RA menu button and change the settings. This is a easy way to turn traction control off if you forgot to before you started at the main menu. It's also worthwhile changing the brake bias for heavy braking, wanting the rear to stick out a bit etc scenarios. You can also change the power ratio for the 4 wheel drive cars, this really increases your speed on some of the rally licenses, i normally move more power to the front than default.

7. jonden

jonden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    whats the RA menu?:blush:

8. Seque

Seque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    when you go into the configuring controller options you will see it there as a possible option to select. Just remember to also map the up down left and right functions so you can select them.

Basically it just enables you to change certain settings whilst your driving. If you have ever watched something like F1 you will have seen the drivers changing stuff like brake bias depending on which corner they will be approaching next.

However with the licenses you only normally do a certain section of the track, so you can just set it once and then use it. (you will have to set it on your first go, change the settings you want, exit the menu, then press restart to restart the event with the settings you have configured.

For heavy braking you may increase the brake force for both front and rear this will allow you to stop quicker. If you want the back to slide out then you would have more force going to the rear etc.

9. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Trophies

On a different thread, LeftFootedBeast mentioned a good point that I was going to do and completely forgot. :facepalm:

It may be worthwhile going for the "Penniless Trophy" right from the off as I can see this being tricky to get otherwise, especially when purchasing items or cars will be rounded figures and your credits won't be.

He said : "My first cars) were a go kart (5,000) and I think the Eunos Roadster (15,000). I brought both to get the Penniless trophy."

I can see myself buying a few used cars tonight! :eek:

10. elbowdan

elbowdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

Enjoying the game very much. Not been too thrilled by the soundtrack though but had heard that it may be possible to use music you have of your own off the PS3's hard drive and import it into the game.
    Is that possible?
    If so, how does one go about it?

11. D1MKD

D1MKD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    its in options, hardware, sound user BGM i believe...

12. elbowdan

elbowdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for that, will give it a try. Potentially a brilliant feature IMO.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  13. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    New Cars

To answer someone's question about why cars come delivered in that truck, I think it's because the "ticket" you get also shows up in your Item screen so you can send them to friends. So you have the option oof keeping it yourself or sending it on to a pal.

Maplin's Cheapy Logitech Driving Force Wireless

It's not listed in the Steering Wheel section so I've been using the Driving Force EX instead and changing buttons there. Works for the Wireless. :smashin:

14. elbowdan

elbowdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Managed to access my music but for some reason when playing them in the game it won't randomize what I hear. It would just play back from the first track on every race. And I'm lucky if I get to hear the second track in the list depending on the race length. I've tried creating a playlist. I've tried letting it take them from the PS3 itself. I've tried shuffle option on both accounts. Nothing seems to work.

15. jonden

jonden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Regarding the music issue, the game wont let me select the option for user BGM?

Also do you need a playlist set up or can you select individual tracks??

16. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    you can do both :)

17. elbowdan

elbowdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    No idea what I did but now but my playlist seems to be working.

18. connor1

connor1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Two things really, good to hear about the music I have top gears seriously good music to drive to waiting but how do you get it to play more than 1 track. I just want to have the whole album play on loop but cant seem to work it out.

The other thing is what does the Eye toy interface give you. I started arcade mode last night to do a few time trials and the camera lit up as if it was recording which I thought cool I will watch my replay to see my expression whilst crashing but I couldnt find anything, any ideas on that?

19. Phil Scott

Phil Scott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I believe there is an option you can enable that allows head tracking (like trackIR), so that when you move your head left or right it moves your view left or right on screen :smashin:

20. oska

oska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The PS Eye is a bit of a novelty but fun. In the set up you can fine tune how it works. Basically when plugged in Arcade mode cockpit view you can move your head around and the viewpoint changes as it would normally.

I was doing 200MPH down a long straight in that twin turbo TT and iwas just peering over the top of the steering wheel just like a granny. No good really any good to look to your side as then you can see the screen.

21. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    that did my nut in til i figured it out. don't go as far as selecting a single track. just find the album or playlist you want and exit back out :clap:

22. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Make a playlist of those tracks then go to audio options and tick user race bmg and then click on select track...pick a track inside your playlist and..most important...in folder options (i think it's called) you need to switch the options around so you have shuffle on and play folder on.

23. oska

oska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Sounds like a right arse about though. Couldn't they have made it a bit easier?

24. Kinetic Frenzy

Kinetic Frenzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +996
    No it's the Japanese way of doing things! You'd hate it if GT5 was as dull an experience as FM3 :lesson: ;)

In all seriousness things like this should be a lot easier to implement. However earlier in the week i was very critical of PD for their quirky eastern approach to video games but having played for a good hour or two last night i loved it for being Gran Turismo and not the boring soulless Forza 3 :thumbsup:

25. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    agree :) i could just sit n watch all the many demo races for hours n hours with my own playlist playing in the background :thumbsup:

26. Kaden101

Kaden101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    There's a problem with the shuffle option. I made a playlist in the XMB, put nearly 700mb of random music in it. In GT5 Audio settings, I ticked the use own music box, & then I selected the playlist, & under the "Play Mode" section I turned shuffle on. Great, worked like a charm. Pity it doesn´t remember to leave shuffle on next time you load the game up, & just goes through them in order until you go back into the settings & turn shuffle back on. Very annoying. I can only listen to Billy Idol so many times.:rolleyes:

Unless somebody can tell me there´s a "correct" way to do this, it´s something that needs patching. GT5's own music is pants, but that's expected.

27. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    i've had an album on shuffle which has been 'shuffling' in game. it is just the 1 album and not a playlist. wonder if that makes any difference? :confused:

28. Kaden101

Kaden101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Is it in it's own folder on the XMB. Just wondering if it's worth trying a folder as opposed to a playlist. All of my actual music is just on the root of the XMB (very messy, I know, but it was a rush job).

29. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    yea i have my music in folders on the xmb for artist > album name. i copied all music from my laptop over yesterday when i found the gt5 feature :smashin: took 5hours though :thumbsdow

30. Kaden101

Kaden101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I'll give it a go. I'm sure the moving everything from root to a folder will be a painless & quick process, just like every other bit of file management on the PS3.:rolleyes:

Thanks