GT5 Praise Thread

Siro

Established Member
Reaction score
I see there's a moaning one, so why not one for to praise it.

Not played a GT since i snuck a go of my brothers PS1 donkey years ago. I've nothing to really compare against as I'm not usually a racing game fan but picked this up today anyhow.

Best praise i can give it is that I've hardly put it down since about 2 this afternoon and it's probably the most fun I've had on a console in many a year. Really enjoying the NASCAR and the Go Karts, terrific fun to give them a blast round the track. Really impressed with the depth of the game in both it's detail and gameplay.

Hopefully there's many more of you having a blast!

Mmmmm, too many people on the moaning thread to comment on this one:D

as long as mine turns up this morning I'm hoping to be giving some praise. I'm well chuffed that they've got so many racing styles in one game so I'm hoping to find a few that grab me and keep me hooked :)
However, now that reviews are starting to appear it seems the moaning thread may remain busier than this one ;)

It's the way with most things in life, you usually only here about it by people complaining!

To be honest though, with the hype was it ever going to live up to everyones expections, probably not.

Gotta say, couldnt put it down last night. Quality game.

Loading times are bit long, but no worse than other driving games this generation.

Don't really understand the level of bitching at online problems before the release date.

i think it depends what you want from a driving game. Personally I want a game that is as realistic as possible. Have purchased a Honda Civic Type R to begin with and the handling and feedback is superb. It is so realistic that it reminds me of driving my old integra type r around a track (feedback from slids and controlling it is fantastic). This is with a wheel and pedals which i think is a must to get the most out of the game

Have only just started the game (level 6 now) so I havent had any crash damage, but this is supposed to happen later on.

There isnt a driving game out there that is anywhere near to GT5 for driving realism (and have tried on a few on a few consoles) - which in the end is a must for me

I played GT Prolouge and didn't like it, I didn't find it fun to play or fun to drive the cars. I don't normally like driving simulations to be fair as I have never been into cars and normally you race around the same few tracks with different tarted up cars it gets boring quite quickly.
I only bought this game because of the hype and wasnt expecting much. GT5 arrived yesterday about 10 30am and I was playing it for most of the day. I love this game, how is it different to other simulations? Well the handling of the cars is amazing I can feel the bumps in the road, I can feel the cars getting more powerful as I progress through the levels, the variety of cars and things to do in this game are stopping me from getting bored such as driving go karts and rally cars across the dirt track.

Yes there is no damage at the start of the game, think this kicks in at level 10 and yes the cars start off slow but it's the learning curve getting you ready to drive faster more powerful cars. Racing games should be about how the car handles, does it feel like you are driving a car, can you feel the bumps and dips in the road and the most important thing the game has to be fun as well as realistic. GT 5 is fun to play, handles really well and you can feel the stones on the dirt track, the dips and bumps in the road it really is an amazing game.

More you put into this game the more you will get out of it. Forget the 800 standard cars, jagged edges which I don't notice, forget the AI sticking to it's race line. As I keep saying GT5 handling and physics are superb, I can feel the bumpy road and the most important thing which games forget now days it's fun to play.

Forget the moaners, this is a great game, probably the best i have ever played!
Yes the standard cars don't look great but the handling more and makes up for it.
There is so much to do and i've only just started (level 8). I can see it getting better and better.
This game will keep me going for years.:smashin:

Quite simply the best online private lobby system ever. The way you can spectate, race, free run all seamlessly is brilliant. Just took me a while to discover that private games are 'hosted' from the My Lounge option. Comms were clear even on standard and had no lag. :thumbsup:

The only thing I couldn't suss out was to set the 'restrictions' as it was greyed (blued) out. Was that because people were already in cars on the track I wonder?

Im hooked and thats just after doing the licenses.

So pleased to here some positive stuff. Picked up my copy from Tesco this morning. Will pop home lunch and download the update.

Any way i was starting to worry about the moaning thread but this all sounds superb to me.

Is it easy to find games in public lobbies, is there some sort of ranking system with sats etc? A bit like Cod

Is it easy to find games in public lobbies, is there some sort of ranking system with sats etc? A bit like Cod

Haven't been in a open room, so I don't know about rankings, but to find the rooms, just go into the 'Open Lobby' option from your GT Home Page within GT Mode and all the servers will be listed. I assume you just select one to join.

Gotta say, couldnt put it down last night. Quality game.

Loading times are bit long, but no worse than other driving games this generation.

Don't really understand the level of bitching at online problems before the release date.

Agree with this completely ... you get the game before release date then complain cos online doesn't work right. It's not rocket science !!!! :suicide:

Anyway managed to get the last copy in my local Tescos this morning. Now sat at work staring at the clock, then the box, then the clock ..... roll on 2.30pm !!!!

Just had a quick bash but now installing so off to do some housework or something ;)
Couple of things I liked straight away was the option to make the cockpit view narrow/narrower (this may be better in either 3D or using headtracking to look at mirrors perhaps) and the option to change the size of the on screen map...definately a nice one :smashin:

Great game - don't post here often but wanted to weigh in on the support thread. Admittedly not experienced any of the issues that many people have talked about but am completely hooked!! :)

I love it so far, The graphics are amazing, The controls are just right imo and there
Is loads to do on it. Loving the go karts as well

I love the PGR's and the Forza's don't get me wrong, but GT's are always the McDaddy of car games imo. Perfect blend of simulation and arcade.

It's superb this game, no other way to describe it. Worth the wait. What excites me the most is the technology now as well, there must be scope to add new tracks and cars hopefully via downloadable content in the future.

The 3D is ace in the game :) Especially in the autoshop for some reason aswell.

Played for a good few hours yesterday and I'm gobsmacked at how good this game is. :smashin:

I could watch a replay of a damp Le Sarthe at night for hours, literally. if you haven't raced on this track yet, do it now! Choose the Nissan gtr race car, it starts off in the pouring rain, spray illuminated by the headlights and finishes in the dark on a drying track. once you've raced, sit back and enjoy the replay :cool:

Hey!

This is AVF, no place for these positive thread here! :D

I really like the demo system,where you can look at your or any car(i think)and it brings up the info about it.
The graphics on this are lovely,it switches from day to night,and you get to see the car running at full performance.
Ive just downloaded the chromeline pack,and my god,the shelby cobra,and the lambo,oh,and the old merc 300,are just amazing.
Nice little touch,i dont think any other PS3 game has this,well,i havent seen it anyway.
(even the missus was watching the different cars go round,even though she was reading a next catalogue,i saw her,pretending not to look.)

When I first started playing I did think "it's just the same as before, here we go again". However, I stuck to the Special Events and really enjoyed the carting and indeed the slightly absurd Top Gear camper van race. Even saw some decent AI. I did need a speed fix so played an arcade race on high difficulty with some serious bhp and that was superb. Am beginning to think though that this one will really be a lot better with the wheel (carting and Nascar in particular as I found the joypad too twitchy and not precise enough). Still, there's a real racing buzz there if people are willing to look for it.

The snow rally with weather effects in car is crazy. The car infront appears and disappears as the wiper blades to and fro. Really edge of your seat stuff.

A good wheel transforms this game in my eyes, played most of yesterday with the pad and enjoyed it, but after setting the g25 up the experience is spectacular. The handling and force feedback on the rally stages is unmatched. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom