GT5 and 3d

I found the initial setting for the 3D had very bad crosstalk but when I changed the convergence to 0.3 there was very little. I suspect that the distance from the TV is the culprit here. I was playing at half the distance that I would watch a film at. This is on a PS50C6900 with the latest auto downloaded firmware.

not overly impressed with the 3d on GT5 atm, tried playing with the settings and dont really seem to get much depth. One of the video demos of the engine bieng built has awful crosstalk and is really confusing as to whats going on. other than that minor ghosting in some areas. But a little underwhelmed from one of sonys flagship titles.
D/L motorstorm the other night to see if similar issues on another sony racer, not sure if its just the speed but way more impressive 3d effect IMO.

I think the actual game play in this looks fantastic in 3D, no crosstalk whatsoever and I have my 3D effect set on 6. Although there is a lot of crosstalk when watching the video clips, but that doesn't really bother me, even the replays don't have any crosstalk showing.

This is much better than Motorstorm and Wipeout in 3D, motorstorm has a great effect but there is too much crosstalk showing, this game makes me feel good about the future of 3D racing games :smashin:

Yes I tried this out last night in 3D for the first time and yes it does look fantastic and me too as no crosstalk whatsoever on my 55" C8000.

Just wondering if the 8000 sammy handles crosstalk better than cheaper sets as people have also mentioned that the movie BOLT in 3D was unwatchable due to crosstalk and the dog having 4 eyes at the beginning of the movie with the carrot lol , must admit mine again is perfect no problems at all.

Just wish we could play in 1080p 3D instead of 720p !

I think the actual game play in this looks fantastic in 3D, no crosstalk whatsoever and I have my 3D effect set on 6. Although there is a lot of crosstalk when watching the video clips, but that doesn't really bother me, even the replays don't have any crosstalk showing.

This is much better than Motorstorm and Wipeout in 3D, motorstorm has a great effect but there is too much crosstalk showing, this game makes me feel good about the future of 3D racing games :smashin:

What TV you got?
Is it true photomodes are now not in 3D?
Please can you highlight in your opinion what stands out and how or where 3D makes a difference.

Also can you guys confirm 720p in 3D @ 60 FPS

Thanks

What TV you got?
Is it true photomodes are now not in 3D?
Please can you highlight in your opinion what stands out and how or where 3D makes a difference.

Also can you guys confirm 720p in 3D @ 60 FPS

Thanks

I have the Samsung 55" C9000 LED and this is the only game (or anything) that I have seen where there is no crosstalk... there could be a major factor though, after reading this thread I decided to turn on 'Gaming Mode' for the first time, as I kept forgetting previously, although the video clips still look bad (I have got the 3D effect quite high though).

So playing this game in 3D adds a subtle depth, enough to think you are actually sitting in the car and looking through a real windscreen. Also I don't think of the cars as toy cars which I do with Motorstorm. Very impressed so far at how good the game looks and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in 720p or 1080p personally as I think the 3D effect adds a realism to the driving, which I think you lose in 1080p 2D (although I haven't even tried that yet so can't say for sure).

Sorry but I can't confirm if it's even in 720p, all I can say is it looks fantastic, good enough for me anyway :thumbsup:

Edit: Also I haven't tried the photomode yet either.

Last edited:
I have had my 46vt20 for a day now and i am very happy with it so far and have been playing with the 3d settings on GT5.

So far i think the best settings are parallax on 4 and convergance on 0.90.

I get no crosstalk in the cockpit and only a little when there is white on black but nothing to distracting. I will keep trying other settings and post if i settle on any better.

As for 720p 60fps in 3D its definatly still 60fps and has definatly dropped a resolution maybe less than 720p but this may be just because of gone from a 40" screen to a 46".

3d definatly adds some depth. Especialy in cockpit view. It just doesnt seem right when i go back to 2d now even though it is in 1080p.

Only other game i have tried is the Stardust HD demo. Which looks excellent with no crosstalk problems at all.

Ive totally ditched 3D in GT5 now, just as I did in black ops. 3D made black ops too difficult and it just doesnt add enough depth to GT5, especially compared to the likes of wipeout.

3D mode does display a 720p picture but I have a feeling the resolution is much lower and then upscalled to 720p. If I can remember correctly, GT5 runs at 1080x1080 upscalled to full 1080p so I seriously doubt that the game runs at a full 720p in 3D mode.

I think 3D adds to it but isn`t an absolute must, that said I`d rather have it than not.

just tried this on my ps63c700 sammy and whenever i turn left or right the whole screen goes jaggy in 3d mode, ie there is no smooth contours around the car or buidings, everything looks like zzzzzzzzzzzzzz honest little Zs around the outline of everything anyone got any ideas ive got all the ps3 3d games and never had this problem before

Ive totally ditched 3D in GT5 now, just as I did in black ops. 3D made black ops too difficult and it just doesnt add enough depth to GT5, especially compared to the likes of wipeout.

3D mode does display a 720p picture but I have a feeling the resolution is much lower and then upscalled to 720p. If I can remember correctly, GT5 runs at 1080x1080 upscalled to full 1080p so I seriously doubt that the game runs at a full 720p in 3D mode.
GT5 runs in full 1280x720 in 3D mode but anti-aliasing drops to 2x. In 2D 1080p the game runs at 1280x1080 with 2xAA, in 2D 720p the game runs at 1280x720 with 4xAA.

Initially I was left disappointed with how 3D looked as well until I started experimenting with the settings. On my 46HX903 I find parallax 10 and convergence 0.70 to be best with everything but the in-car view. (I normally use the 'bumper' cam)

With the in-car view convergence 0.90 seemed better, but I had to lower parallax considerably to reduce crosstalk to acceptable levels. (some cars are especially bad) Until we get displays capable of significantly lower crosstalk, I don't think the in-car view is going to give you a very good 3D experience. It's either going to be really toned down, or full of crosstalk.

Make sure you have things set to 'sharper' in the normal display options as well. (rather than normal/flicker reduction)
The biggest problem I have now is that the framerate can get quite bad in 3D mode at times, which ruins the effect a bit.

I can't wait until the next generation of 3D games where they're actually designed to be played in 3D and run well in it, rather than being an afterthought. Hopefully the 3D options will be adjustable in-game in future as well, rather than having to quit out to a menu to make changes.

Last edited:
GT5 runs in full 1280x720 in 3D mode but anti-aliasing drops to 2x. In 2D 1080p the game runs at 1280x1080 with 2xAA, in 2D 720p the game runs at 1280x720 with 4xAA.

I did recently read that the game runs at 1280x1080 with 2xQAA, but im certain I read a few years back that 1080p would be a lower resolution. Regardless, the game certainly looks a lot better in 2D over 3D IMO.

The biggest problem I have now is that the framerate can get quite bad in 3D mode at times, which ruins the effect a bit.

The frame rate can get really bad in 2D too, particularly on city courses with lots of cars on screen. Things do settle down when the competition are behind you.

Hopefully the 3D options will be adjustable in-game in future as well, rather than having to quit out to a menu to make changes.

Super stardust has a 3D slider within the pause menu. Its fantastic watching the increase in depth as you move the slider up. As you said though, its a shame that the feature is missing from other games.

On my panny 50 vt20 the in car 3d looks great
Feels real

I can't wait until the next generation of 3D games where they're actually designed to be played in 3D and run well in it, rather than being an afterthought. Hopefully the 3D options will be adjustable in-game in future as well, rather than having to quit out to a menu to make changes.

Unforunately this is probably about as good as it gets with this generation of console. They did achieve full 720p and maintain pretty much all the visuals of the 2D mode, which is pretty impressive. Apart from Stardust, which is a pretty simple game, all the others either drop effects or the resolution down below 720p to get the performance.

From Eurogamer interview with the producer of GT5:

"Journalist: What's your opinion of using 3D in racing games?

Kazunori Yamauchi: 3D was not something that was implemented at the last minute. We were working and testing with Sony two years ago. I think 3D technology right now is at a stage where it just has a lot of possibilities."

Unforunately this is probably about as good as it gets with this generation of console. They did achieve full 720p and maintain pretty much all the visuals of the 2D mode, which is pretty impressive. Apart from Stardust, which is a pretty simple game, all the others either drop effects or the resolution down below 720p to get the performance.

From Eurogamer interview with the producer of GT5:

"Journalist: What's your opinion of using 3D in racing games?

Kazunori Yamauchi: 3D was not something that was implemented at the last minute. We were working and testing with Sony two years ago. I think 3D technology right now is at a stage where it just has a lot of possibilities."
Right, they have been working on 3D support for two years, but the game was still developed with 2D as the primary focus. This should be obvious because the game runs significantly better in 2D than it does in 3D.

If a game were designed for 3D right from the start as the primary focus (remember GT5 has been in development for 6 years) I would not expect such uneven performance. Instead we have games that run well in 2D and are very inconsistent when played in 3D.

We have yet to see any 3D games that support morphological anti-aliasing (MLAA) which should significantly improve image quality with very little performance hit on PS3. That alone suggests to me that there are no 3D games developed with current tools/techniques (MLAA has only been in use for the last year or so) and 3D support has simply been added to a 2D focused engine. Here, the Xbox 360 version of a game (The Saboteur) uses no antialiasing, and the PS3 version uses MLAA:

This should significantly reduce the amount of 'jaggies' (aliasing) visible in 3D. (usually anti-aliasing is the first thing to be turned off to improve performance)

There are other rendering techniques available for 3D as well which incur virtually no performance hit. Crysis 2 will be one of the first games to use this technique and should run at almost the same performance in 3D as it does in 2D. The 3D effect may not be as good as current 3D games using this technique though. I look forward to seeing how it is.

figured out my problem its when i turn game mode setting on my tv it causes the problems with the picture displaying all the jaggies i

I tried it for the first time today in game mode rather than normal. 3D has much more crosstalk in game mode.

Why the **** is the ghosting in 3D so bad!?
I can either have the cockpit looking fine or the HUD looking fine. Not both. Sigh.
I literally changed the 3D viewpoint while i was in game and the cockpit dials were fine once it was set a -5 in the Samsung menu, but the HUD was way off (as were the TV menus).
COD, Super stardust etc do not have this issue :-(

Why the **** is the ghosting in 3D so bad!?
I can either have the cockpit looking fine or the HUD looking fine. Not both. Sigh.
I literally changed the 3D viewpoint while i was in game and the cockpit dials were fine once it was set a -5 in the Samsung menu, but the HUD was way off (as were the TV menus).
COD, Super stardust etc do not have this issue :-(
Don't use the TV to adjust it, set that back to the default (0?) and use the game's options. The TV options only exist for when there is no other way to adjust the signal. (3D Blu-ray etc.)

The in-car view is terrible for crosstalk though, especially if you don't have it set up right. (make sure you have convergence set around 0.90 and try starting with parallax low, upping it until it's as high as you can tolerate.

The in-car view renders differently from the other views, and suffers from much more crosstalk than them. (I recommend parallax 10, convergence 0.70 for the other views)

Man.
What an oversight for PD.
I hope that it's something they can look into as it is quite an eyesore and i want to play it in 3D!
I'll give those settings a bash when I get in cheers.

Man.
What an oversight for PD.
I hope that it's something they can look into as it is quite an eyesore and i want to play it in 3D!
I'll give those settings a bash when I get in cheers.
The reason the HUD looks bad is because you are adjusting 3D with your TV's settings. You should basically never do this as it's trying to adjust the depth of an already rendered image.

If you change the 3D settings on a TV, all it has to work with are two flat 2D images (one for each eye) and it can only adjust the position/alignment of them to fake things.

If you change the 3D settings in the game, it has all the original 3D data and creates new 2D images based on your settings, rather than modifying pre-existing ones. (I hope that makes sense)

Really though, the biggest problem is the technology. I just don't think any of the 3DTVs on the market are all that suited to it. (far too much crosstalk) Once the glasses and screen have warmed up, and you've been playing a while, you start to ignore it, but we really need OLED for 3D to work at its best.

I'm not using the TV settings.
Just the parallax and convergence.
The TV settings i just tried as i was pulling my hair out in a last ditch attempt.
Crosstalk on other games is nothing like this - it usually just works but as with everything in this game they've made it cumbersome. You can't even check the settings without going into a game.
I can live with crosstalk in the background (far off trees etc) but right there on the dash for the dials and door frames is silly.

If you're going to drive in-car, put convergence up to 0.90 and start out with parallax turned right down. It does take a while, but just keep putting parallax one notch at a time until crosstalk is at an acceptable level.

I think it's mostly just because of the perspective of an in-car view, rather than anything the game is doing wrong. All the other views are fine. (at 0.70 convergence and high parallax)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom