1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT4 on Pio505 HD vs SD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dr Pete, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought Gran Turismo 4 here in Aus (released 10th March here) and have just found out that Aus region doesn't get the 1080i and 720p mode that I was soooo looking forward to for the Pioneer 505 I plan to buy in the next month.

My question is; does the HiDef version of the game look that much better than the SD version on a HD Plasma? Is it worth chipping my PS2 to take either/both(?) US or UK games (cost 1 of $???) and then purchasing another version of GT4 (cost 2 of US$50) and cost 3 of frig-factor?

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The UK version of GT4 is also stripped of the HI-Def options. :( Only the NTSC (Jap or USA) versions have the 1080i video option, via component.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the increased picture quality as I haven't seen either USA or Jap GT4 running at 1080i.

S.

3. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Looks like I'll need the US version then :rolleyes: . I must say I'm keen as I've even bought the PS2 component cable ready for when I get the 505. Can't use it on my current crappy tele that doesn't even have s-video!

I suppose I'll have to wait to a U.S. member chips in to find out if the extra cost and hassle is worth it for the BIG screen.

4. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    he doesnt have to be american..:p
    not about the ps2 on gt4 but ive gone the ntsc componenet for high def games on my xbox and man wat a difference,,, u wouldbt be sorry thats for sure

5. cybercrop

cybercrop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well in the gaming forums I have read, they are not too excited about 1080. It's not true 1080 but an upscaled image. Makes sense since the PS2 i way to underpowered for that...

Some people even like to play it in 480P since 1080 is Interlaced and makes the screen stutter.

6. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit, if its just upscaled it wouldn't be worth it, as I'd expect that the Pio505 would do a reasonable job of that itself with the 525 ines of PAL. And yes, I wrote in my original post that I thought the other supported mode was 720p, but as you mentioned, its 480p. If that's the preferred mode then its also not worth the hassle over PAL 525 (interlaced).

Unfortunately the PS2 must be put really pushing the edge to output these higher res modes, unlike the XBOX as cboy indicates. Thus, perhaps for the PS2, this feature is mainly marketing hype which only the US market (and I) was ready to buy into. Thanks for the input.