• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

GT4 Dolby Pro LOgic

J

John Langton

I have my PS2 connected to my 3805 and I have selected DD in the audio menu. However the only time I get DD is when the start up movie plays. When Im actually racing there isnt a DD signal coming through. Anyone else had this problem

John

shodan

Distinguished Member
PS2 games only use DD in the cut scene's but never during the actual game play. Crap eh!

J

John Langton

yes that is crap as I understood the advertisemnts for GT4 to be DD when playing the game! Pants! I also learned today if I want to use the PS2 in progressive scan I have to watch an NTSC disk! we do get shafted dont we! Why cant it play PAL DVD in progressive mode!

John

slackbladder

GT4 has DPLII in game. In the US and Japan they don't have the opening movie in 5.1. Only PAL games have it.

I was unaware the PS2 could do prog scan DVD's! I have an NTSC PS2 (US) and I've never seen an option for prog scan (though saying that I never use it for DVD's).

J

John Langton

Have alook in the instructions manual. If it is the same as PA then there is reference to playing NTSC DVDs in Progressive scan

John

slackbladder

Well, well..so it does! Yes...why the hell don't we have prog scan on our PS2's? After all this time I never knew that! Live and learn..

J

John Langton

slackbladder so do you have to mod yours to play PAL games and region 2 DVDs or do you just import US Games?

John

slackbladder

I just import. I do have a PAL PS2 as well. But as I import most games I rarely use it.
And as you know modding is illegal in the UK! But not in Australia....

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Loads of NTSC PS2 games are in prog scan (480p) see here . There's even quite a few that display in 720p & 1080i. Very few PAL games are prog scan capable though - I think there are a couple such as Tekken 4 but they are very thin on the ground. From what i've read you hold Triange & X down during loading to activate prog scan mode in US/Jap games.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
shodan said:
PS2 games only use DD in the cut scene's but never during the actual game play. Crap eh!

When you say DD what exactly do you mean? Dolby Digital, but in what format.

See SSX for example of Digital Surround (DTS) in game!

slackbladder

Playing Prog Scan in game is no problem, there is always an option. However I never knew DVD had a prog scan option as I had never used it for DVD.
Looking forward to Resi 4 as it has Prog Scan too.

GTA: Vice City plays in DTS though it was more like 4.1 as it didn't use the centre channel.
Generally though DD 5.1 is in cut scenes as in MGS2 and FFX-2 etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom