1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT4 1080i - which version to get?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by dan1979, Jan 16, 2005.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I had a PS2 years back but sold it, I'm totally out of touch with the goings on in the gaming world, but I want GT4!

Is the PAL version likely to feature 60Hz prog. scan and 1080i option?

At the moment the UK release date seems to be earlier than the US but I don't want to fork out for that one and not get the best pic quality possible. If US is the one to go for where's the best place to get the console from?

2. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hmm..tricky one. I remember reading that Polyphony Digital had a tough time making GT3 look good for its Pal release, though if that was why it was 50hz not 60hz I don't know.
    Anyway, as for Progressive Scan and 1080i....it's impossible to tell. We'll have to wait until closer its release (it looks like March 18th-ish now). Certainly the US GT4 will have 480p/i and 1080i as for us...I'd be happy with just a 60hz option! And I think GT4 maybe released here and in the US at the same time. I'd be very suprised if it came out here first!

3. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    mmm tricky one this.. see as the other guy mentioned it'll be tricky for polyphony to optimize gt4 for pal as pal is 625 lines as opposed to 525 ntsc, so basically more video ram is required to fill the extra pixels as explained in an earlier edge conversation with polyphony, an obvious solution would be to include the ntsc option ala pes4 pal, as most pal tv's display colour ntsc through rgb scart, which a lot of people use.
    as for the 1080i option in the game this is barely impressive as this is fake high res anyway rendering only half the screen at a time giving an out of focus display for pj's plasma etc, 720p would have been very nice but is probably too much for the ps2 dac to render.

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've seen a couple of screenshots comparing 1080i with standard and it does look a bit better, less jaggies.

I just need to decide whether its worth the extra hassle/expense of getting the US version for 60Hz and 1080i the UK has always been short changed on things like this and I don't really expect that to change, hopefully something will be announced so I know which to get one way or the other, at the moment I'm still not sure when it will be released.