Gryphon Diablo Power cable advice

popeye

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently purchased a Gryphon Diablo 300 amplifier and presently using the stock power cable. I’ve really no complaints with the results but like many in this hobby I’m always looking at ways to enhance my system to get the best possible return for my investment. This brings me to power cables. I’m really an agnostic when considering power cables. I neither believe or disbelieve that adding an aftermarket cable will make any discernible difference. I am however happy to dip my toes in the water and try a power cable to see if it adds anything further to the listening enjoyment. I don’t want to go crazy and perhaps look at a cable under £1000. If I’m happy with the results I could perhaps be persuaded to consider something more exotic in the future. I’d therefore be interested to hear others thoughts and experiences?

I’m presently using Gryphon DAC modual, Sonus Faber Olympia Nova II speakers with an Innuos Zen Mini with LPSU. Cable loom is all Chord Epic X.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Power cables don't make a difference. Don't waste your money and get ripped off on snake oil products.

£1000 on mains cable, a quote from legend "are you mad?"

I really didn’t post this thread to get into a debate whether power cables are snake oil or not. If anyone has any practical experience, good, bad or indifferent, I’d love to hear your thoughts, particularly from any Gryphon owners? Whilst I agree that a power cord under £1000 is a lot of money, I feel you have to give some consideration to whether the cost is relative to the product your purchasing it for. In my case that would be less than 5% of the Diablo value, which I though was a sensible starting point. I haven’t made any final decision if I want to invest in an after market power cable just yet, which is why I’m happy to learn from others and listen to their thoughts and experiences.

It won't make any difference. subjective opinion are irrelevant. Do you think the cable from your fuse box to the sub station is audiophile quality cable?

And the substation is a noisy environment. Then hundreds of miles of electrical wiring to the nuclear power plant.

Electrical engineer will laugh at the idea of £1000 mains cable.

Spend that £1000 on other improvements like room treatment, subwoofer EQ, high passing speakers, another subwoofer, another source, a remote control, more music, better audio streamer, paying to get ear syringed

I know this thread is a few months old, What power cable did you buy out of interest?

I decided to stick to the same loom and bought a Chord Epic Aray 2m power cable. There’s not a dramatic difference but a noticeable improvement over the stock cable so I feel the cost of upgrading proved to be a worthwhile investment.

I decided to stick to the same loom and bought a Chord Epic Aray 2m power cable. There’s not a dramatic difference but a noticeable improvement over the stock cable so I feel the cost of upgrading proved to be a worthwhile investment.

Ok dokey

Nice 👌🏻 I am with you on cables. Especially when you get a certain level of HIFI. All little differences add up to one big one.

Surely if anything, then the argument should be the other way around. If we're talking about an uber high quality and more 'hifi' device, then it would stand to reason (or at least you'd expect of it!) that it will have a comprehensively higher quality power supply and circuity. There's all manner of rectification and regulation going on to linearise and filter the AC to DC conversion internally, so all of which should render it pretty well indifferent to the cable?!

I think it would be pretty safe to say if you bought a vastly expensive component and found swapping the power cable created audible differences, it would pretty much imply all that ultra-expensive and high-grade power circuity you paid for, was for nothing!

I've got most "upgraded" power cables in my setup, DIY kits form MCRU, but simply because I could cut to length - zero difference in sound quality though. And if I had of heard one, I'd have replaced whatever device was on the end of it with something engineered properly post haste!

(Also how could a product actually be consistently designed and tested if it was so sensitive to power even after the rectification circuits! And then simply being pragmatic, it would make sense to use the cable that shipped with the expensive component!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom