1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grundig WF70-3020 Service Code

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Zaii, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Zaii

Zaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To cut a long story short, my Dad bought this TV from Currys, worked fine for a few months, gave it to me, worked fine for a few months. I moved away, it was left in storage for a few months and now requests a pincode. 4 digits long, nothing about it in the manual, claims the pincode was put on by a "1Miss Mlies". Since we've had the TV, no women have touched it.

Phoned Mastercare, they're about as helpful as a bucket with a hole in it. They want £55 to fix it.

So in summary, I either need a tutorial on how to get it back to factory settings, a pincode.

Or, if theres a way of opening it up and resetting the bios (if it has a bios or whatever it is).

Thanks in advance,

Andy

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try 7038

3. Zaii

Zaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope, 7038 don't work.

4. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Try 8500

5. Zaii

Zaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope :(

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zaii,

I had the same thing happen with a Panasonic small television bought from Curry's a few years ago. It was faulty and had to go back anyway but, although there was no pin number, it had a previous name and address of a woman who lived about twenty miles away recorded on the tv. It had obviously been used before and returned.

I read that the Grundig you have is a re-badged Matsui chassis, which is Matsui 28WN05(a). Put Matsui 28WN05 pin number on Google and you will find a few sites showing that problem. There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution. These were a couple of examples of posts, which may not work for you.

"Disconnect it from the mains for a few hours and it normally clears. Then enter the pin number 1234 as it's easy to remember. Every time you turn it on though you have to enter this pin number 1234 as it still "protects". Later the same person said that after he bought a surge protector the television stopped going into "protect" mode."

"Reset the tv with the following. Enter the wrong code three times until tv says "protect mode". Hold down channel 6 on the remote and VOL down button on YV set for five seconds. If this does not work use the number 7. This worked for me."

Good luck with your search.

7. Zaii

Zaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, I'll try and give the surge protector a try. Interesting it being a rebadged model.

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Zaii,

You don't seem to have much luck with this, it must be maddening.

I would try this. In the "What Video and Widescreen" magazine there is a Video Forum. Readers pose questions and the experts there answer. However to send them a problem and to see the answer would take several months in view of the publication time delay. Use their personal reply service. Post your query with a cheque for £4.95 made payable to Eugene Trundle, together with an S.A.E. I have used this service myself. It may take two weeks or longer as it's some time since I did this.

I suggested this to someone else this week and Tight Git said he had met Eugene Trundle and that he was a mine of information.

So, Zaii, if all else fails try this and good luck. Let us know if they can solve the problem for you.

9. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Zaii, I forgot to give you the address:

Video Forum,
    What Video and Widescreen TV,
    Highbury Entertainment,
    53-79 Highgate Road,
    London NW5 1TW

10. Zaii

Zaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, I know how to unlock it, but unfortunately it takes some rather advanced knowldge of the guts of a TV. I've contacted a TV repairman, but suprise suprise, only Mastercare can help me.

I'm not gunna lose my temper over this, I just feel that Currys have been very unfair to me.

11. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Zaii,

Did you have any luck?

A friend of mine has had the same problem.

Cheers,
    Liam

12. Zaii

Zaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, I've phoned a couple of TV Techs for them to sort it, but they have refused. The only way to unlock WF70-3020 is through Currys, and my Dad has lost the original receipt. Usuaully they have the item on their database for 12-18 months, but it's more than 2 years now.

A few people have had problems with Currys selling them crappy WF70-3020's, if I had any proof of such I would take legal action. But I don't, so I can't :(

13. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Thanks,

I'll pass the info on. Sounds like you're having a 'mare with them.

Cheers,
    Liam