• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Grundig TV problem.

Red_Breast

Standard Member
Hello there.
I've used the AV forums a couple of times before but not much.
I now have a problem and thought I might be able to get some help here.

I have a Grundig Lenaro 92 6110/9 DVD tube TV.
It was purchased in Dubai about 6-7 years ago. I only use it for gaming. It has a VGA socket. Apart from that it's the usual SCART, S-vid, and composite. Being just a SDTV the highest setting for the VGA socket is 640x480 which I have set in the XBox360 dashboard using the 360's VGA lead.
I also have a Wii and using a 3rd party (VDigi) VGA lead which, I think, pulls component from the Wii and transcodes, with seemingly zero lag, to RGBHV I can set the Wii, in it's settings menu, to the EDTV/HDTV option. So basically I'm gaming in progressive 480. I've always been really impressed by the picture. Miles better than 480/525 RGB SCART interlaced. A mate has a cheap LCD and after seeing the XBox360 at 720p on it I prefer my CRT 480p.
Like I said a cheap LCD. Sure it would be better on a good make LCD. To top it off it has digital in/out audio. With the 2 speakers it came with I can set the 360 to Digital 5.1 The TV itself has left/right/centre and the point one bass box. What LCD has that?

Well all that has nothing to do with the problem. The other night it just seemed to shut-down. I'm sure the tube hasn't gone. I've seen/heard that happen a few times in the past.
The on/off button has an indicator light to show it's current mode.
Red. Standby (energy-saving mode, timer programmed)
Yellow. Standby (TV guide mode, copy mode, timer mode)
Green. In operation

It seems to be stuck in yellow mode. When I turn it on with the button it's red for a few seconds then goes to yellow and that's it. It might switch to red for a few seconds, I was just observing it, and this happened twice over about quarter of an hour.
I'm sure it's something really easy to fix. I've looked up a couple of TV repairers in my area but not got in contact yet. Would that be the best thing?
If anybody can point me to any web sites or anything that could help that would be great. Any suggestions at all.

subbu68

I have a GRUNDIG XENTIA 27" CRT for the past 6 plus years. I had the same problem a couple of times. GRUNDIG sets go to the 'yellow' mode even if there is a small problem. The diagnostics shutdown the TV to prevent further breakdown. My problem was once the HT capacitors went weak and another was simple dry solder!

So don't take it light.

Here in Abu Dhabi and Dubai there is no service for GRUNDIG. If you are in Dubai I can give a person's number who could repair the TV.

That fellow was telling me that one UAE national's GRUNDIG TV's cabinet broke and he got another cabinet imported for Dhms 1500. He didn't want to throw the set away.

Subbu

Red_Breast

Standard Member
Thanks, I should of said I live in UK now.
I spoke to a TV repairman earlier on the phone who said it sounded like it was in shutdown mode. Hopefully he's coming tomorrow.
Thanks again.

I have a GRUNDIG XENTIA 27" CRT for the past 6 plus years. I had the same problem a couple of times. GRUNDIG sets go to the 'yellow' mode even if there is a small problem. The diagnostics shutdown the TV to prevent further breakdown. My problem was once the HT capacitors went weak and another was simple dry solder!

So don't take it light.

Here in Abu Dhabi and Dubai there is no service for GRUNDIG. If you are in Dubai I can give a person's number who could repair the TV.

That fellow was telling me that one UAE national's GRUNDIG TV's cabinet broke and he got another cabinet imported for Dhms 1500. He didn't want to throw the set away.

Subbu

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom