Grundig Sky Box - "Channel Not Available" + Guide Issues

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mac Sami, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Recently purchased a second hand Grundig Box (so I can use its svideo output into my Media PC). Called Sky yesterday evening to pair my viewing card with the box, lady on the phone was very helpful and asked for the right information (from what I had read on doing this). She said it could take up to 4 hours for channels to be available.

Tried to watch Sky this evening, and noticed the guide stops at channel 120. All channels above this are coming up as "Channel not available", yet I could access some subscription channels (e.g. Sky One on 106). When trying to access the Sky guide, it said "Searching for listings" for ages and did nothing.

Turning the box off and on seemed to fix the issue - but any advice on what the issue could be?

2. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I should add, when I phoned to pair the box to the viewing card, I told the lady the version number of the box (2.30), she said it should have been 2.71 or 2.73 (something like that) but it wouldn't be a problem.

Could it be a problem?

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    If it's a GDS200 or GDS300 they are well-known for capacitor failure in the power supply module leading to odd symptoms like this.
    You could do a forced software update...search the forum with "forced software update" as the search term for instructions on doing this.

4. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's a GDS3000 :(

Will try a forced software update today and see if that cures the problem, if not will have to get another box.

5. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Forced SW update seems to have done the trick, 3 days now without any issues.