1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grundig pulls out of UK market

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stuart Brooks, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An article at ERT here reports the news that Grundig have decided to withdraw fomr most of their consumer segments in the UK.

All service and warranty commitments will continue to be met through GTS, run by ex Grundig staff.

The STB division has of course already been sold to Thomson, who will continue to develop software updates for existing DTT boxes.

Looks like DSG will still use the Grundig brand as "one up from Matsui" and badge internationally-sourced cheap Av kit. But it's goodbye to the diminishing presence of their high-end Loewe-esque TVs, B&O style hifis, and a long history of SW Radios, Reel to Reel (where they became known generically as Grundigs a la Hoover), the first 100Hz TV, a full range of DTT upgradeable TVs etc etc.

I personally think their marketing dept gave up on the UK 10 years ago, and while most small towns had their own Grundig dealer in the past, they've become increasingly hard to find outside the badged Littlewoods and DSG offerings.

:(

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I'll miss them! I never thought much of their products anyway. Fewer competitors is always a bad thing however...

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The only grundig sets I've seen recently looked near enough identical to shop brand sets except the grundigs were more expensive. Looked like bad value and best avoided.

I remember when grundig was a company with its own unique styling and was known for quality but for ten years I guess its reputation has dropped to nothing.

4. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judging by the service I have received ever since buying an arganto idtv two years ago they pulled their support out of the UK a long time ago.

Gaz
    -x-

5. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised that Grundig didn't leave the UK long before this.....

I had the 'pleasure' of being a sales manager for them in the 80's, and although they made some damn fine products that were innovative and well engineered ( the first TV/VCR combi, the first TV to my knowledge to download teletext into a memory chip, day date programming on a VCR....)-- they were next to useless as most folk could never figure out how to use them! They really designed the most user unfriendly products I ever encountered. I remember trying to explain to one of the German product designers, that if some one was playing a tape on a vcr and pressed stop, they expected it to default to a tv channel ! 'No! No!' I was told 'You are entering a different mode, so you have to press this button, then this one......... ' :confused:

They also never understood the UK market at all. At my first sales meeting, were we discussing the falling Grundig share of the large screen CRT market (0.3%) the talk was of doing something new, different,innovative.... - I meekly raised my hand and ventured the suggestion, that instead of having different products,pricing,back up, distribution to most of our more successful rivals, that we actually looked at what they were doing and imitate them and see where that would take us. The (German) MD looked at me rather disdainfully and asked who I suggested...
    I then mentioned a rather well known rival whose share of the CRT market had climbed year on year for quite a while. The reply was 'The problem with that idea, is that they are a japanese company......' :rolleyes:

Yummy Fur

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should you be sharing company secrets on a public forum Yumster? :D

7. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no! Squirrel, you're right! What sort of teutonic terror will be unleashed upon me? :eek: If any of the management there had a sense of humour, I would have suggested that we put S*ny stickers on the products......:D

Yummy Fur

8. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    The only grundig product i had was a VCR which I bough about 8 years ago, I got to say i cant complain about that vcr it was solid and good.

9. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember liking the 32" Xentia couple of years back. styled so much like a B&O Avant I thought it was a clone :eek: but at a bargain price. sadly thought the 100Hz processing was below standard and the geometry was amongst the worst I've ever seen.

10. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a pity they completely neglected the UK market, as a look at the international website shows that they have a really good range which we never got to see. After all they are (unfeasibly) still the best selling TV brand in Germany, and stronger by far in all other European markets than here.

Even in Australia they are regarded in the same elevated bracket as Philips, Sony and Loewe.

Stuart

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had great results from Grundig products over the years, especially the superior TV sound some of them had well before NICAM.

The rot set in when they became Philips clones...

As I understand it, they are merging with Sampo, so they are not really withdrawing from the UK market.

Hopefully they will find their place again in the UK, away from DSG...

12. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Typical

1st thing I have ever bought that was Grundig was on the 27th!
    the GDT1500 digibox for £75 from Currys

no the wonder they were letting them go for that price

they were £99.99 but currys took £10 off, plus £10 more off with UKFrenzy voucher plus another 5% discount voucher from UKFrenzy got £24 off

I just got my dispatch email today!

wonder whats its lifespan is gonna be now?