• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Grundig Lenaro 26" lcd tv freezes

leitchyleck

hi, model lenaro 26HDIP is about 5 years old and picture freezes and needs to be switched off then back on, this happens on freeview only and does not happen with ps3 on hdmi or sky on analogue!

I can't even get into the menu's to try a reset! anybody else with similar problems?

snowey59

Standard Member
Hi this is due to a Grundig OTA update at the beginning of April, i sent Grundigs Ceo a letter yesterday asking why 6 weeks down the line the problem is not fixed and if it is not sorted by the end of the month of may all those affected will get together and demand new televisions this letter was sent yesterday 18/5 so await his reply. Oh and yes same model!

Last edited:

leitchyleck

hi, since posting i phoned grundig, yes, you are correct they are aware of this and looking into it! (don't think they will try too hard for such an old model).

I managed to get a reset, if you are on bbc1 or bbc2 on freeview it won't freeze so you could then try a factory reset, it didn't make any difference to me!

i am waiting until after 25th may, that is when this region switches over (maybe the different frequencies and signal strength could make a difference)

if not, will jump on your bandwagon and pester grundig :thumbsup:

leitchyleck

wow, i got a quick reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email regarding the current issues being experienced with the Lenaro LCD.
We are aware of the situation and all that is possible is being done to remedy the situation. The set is made by Beko and they are currently working on a solution to the issue that effects the freeview tuner on board.

Please see below describing what has been done so far

· There was a change in the way the signal was broadcasted, this was done without our prior knowledge.

· There was no change to our / Beko’s TV software via a OAD

· This caused the TV to freeze after a period of time

· We contacted Beko to highlight the problem to them

· They have now found the problem and have created a fix for one of the models ( on Tuesday 17/5/2011)

· We are waiting for the update tools to be sent to us so we can test the fix on a live signal

· If this is OK then Beko will arrange for the fix to be played out over a OAD

· Customers will get the new software automatically when available

We expect the software to be ready next week but this is only achievable with Beko’s help, we will continue to push them for this to happen.

In the mean time, if it helps, you can connect a separate set top box to the scart socket of the TV and use this as your main tuner, this will avoid using the internal tuner therefore resulting in the set not freezing up. Please reply to us with your contact phone number and we will assure you that as soon as there is any further information or updates as to the progress of the situation we will inform you
straight away.

Kind Regards

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
BTW Grundig is Beko who now call themselves Grundig

Grundig AG is a German manufacturer of consumer electronics for home entertainment which transferred to Turkish control in 2004-2007. Established in 1945 in Nuremberg, Germany by Max Grundig the company changed hands several times before becoming part of the Turkish Koç Holding group. In 2007, after buying control of the Grundig brand, Koc renamed its Beko Elektronik white goods and consumer electronics division Grundig Elektronik A.Ş.,[1] which has decided to merge with Arçelik A.Ş. as declared on February 27, 2007

Grundig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Grundig were never the best brand in the world (weren't they Australian for a while?), but Beko is in another league of not very good.

Atleast they seem to be trying to fix the issues.

snowey59

Standard Member
Wow That was quick! still no reply from Paul Cornwell very poor on his part but thanx for your news so hopefully not much longer and we will see a fix

leitchyleck

well, since the switchover here yesterday i retuned the tv, it found all the freeview channels but still freezes! grrrr....

snowey59

Standard Member
Hi Again have just received a reply to my letter saying it was not an oad that caused problem but a broadcasting change that affected these sets some other sets are affected as well they have engineers from turkey working soley on a fix which requires a software update to re-align the sets with current broadcasts again suggest connecting a freeview box as temp measure but are working hard to resolve issue.
Regards Pete

snowey59

Standard Member
Hi have turned on tv thismorning and has been on for over an hour with much channel changing and now seems to be FIXED fingers crossed thanks Grundig!

GGTVBD

Grundig were never the best brand in the world (weren't they Australian for a while?), but Beko is in another league of not very good.

Atleast they seem to be trying to fix the issues.

May never have been the best but their products from the 60's, 70's and 80's were superb quality, even though they were awful to work on.

As far as budget manufacturers are concerned, Beko are one of the better ones. At least they make spares available and offer product support, as per this example, unlike some others.

How exactly did you come up with your opinion expressed above? :confused:

whiteyonwaltham

Standard Member
Hi, I am a TV/Audio engineer and I have had problems with one of these sets since they turned on the 8K mode on BBC at the Waltham transmitter on August 17th. Same problem described here, works fine on BBC 8k mode channels and then freezes soon after when changing channel on any other. TV has to be turned off and displays message "Please wait while TV is shutting down". Problem seems to be with TV having to work in both 2K and 8K broadcast modes. Snowey 59 or leitchyleck did either of you get a further reply from anybody at Harvard and a working solution. Would be very grateful if you could get back to me on this one. I tried calling Harvard International this morning, but they are having problems with their phone lines in support..hmmmm and they charge 10p per minute for the privlege.

leitchyleck

Hi, I am a TV/Audio engineer and I have had problems with one of these sets since they turned on the 8K mode on BBC at the Waltham transmitter on August 17th. Same problem described here, works fine on BBC 8k mode channels and then freezes soon after when changing channel on any other. TV has to be turned off and displays message "Please wait while TV is shutting down". Problem seems to be with TV having to work in both 2K and 8K broadcast modes. Snowey 59 or leitchyleck did either of you get a further reply from anybody at Harvard and a working solution. Would be very grateful if you could get back to me on this one. I tried calling Harvard International this morning, but they are having problems with their phone lines in support..hmmmm and they charge 10p per minute for the privlege.

hi again, decided to try again with this, emailed grundig but now returned, sender unknown.

i have been using a stand alone freeview box connected with scart but a workaround as follows will give most channels:

got to digital tv, switch to channel 1 (do this straight away before tv freezes).

got to digital set up and do a system reset (password is 1234).

go to manual channel search and add all muxes except itv, ch4, ch5, e4 etc (i my case this was channel 25) so i manually added channels 22,23,26,28 & 29, do this individually for each one, let it scan then ok it)

basically we are adding all channels except the ones that cause the freeze, it's a compromise as you lose itv, ch4, ch5 but at least a working set that should not freeze :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom