GRUNDIG GDT1500 freeview box. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by gossp, Jan 25, 2004.

1. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looking at upgrading the mother in laws TV viewing. Don't really want to spend the earth (no matter how much I love her ;-) ). So thought that a freeview box would be the best route. Have checked her postcode on the freeview site and her arial and cables should be fine.

Does anyone have\seen\used this Grundig box, or can anyone recomend one of the cheaper freeview boxes?

Thanks all

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I wouldn't buy the Grundig for myself or mother-in-law ;-)

Humax do some tidy cheap boxes, check out on dabs.com

The cheapest one doesn't have text / interactive services, so its very simple and cheap.

Goodmans GDB3 is meant to be pretty good and usually retails for about £59 inc vat.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I've had a GDT1500T for a while now, have nothing but praise for it. It was quicker than all the other boxes I tried at the time, hasn't crashed and does everthing I want it to do. The remote is a bit of an eyesore tho.

4. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks guys.
    Not bothered about what the remote looks like (won't be in my living room). She just needs a better picture then the grainy one she gets now. So digital seemed the way forward. (Don't worry about the arials and cables they are all fine).

NX3 you say the Grundig doesn't have digital text? Currys site says it does can you confirm that for me please Tomson.

Tomson have you had any problems at all with it? Does it pick up all the channels fine? For £50 would you recommend it?

Thnaks again

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yep it does have text and no i've never had any trouble with it, picks up all the channel its supposed to and the picture is crystal clear (even on a cheap 7 year old widescreen TV)far better than $ky and marginally better than telewest which I had previously. For 50quid its a bargain - think I paid 90 for mine.

Both the reciever and the remote have taken a severe beating from the ugly stick though. Thats the only way in which I can fault it.

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Sorry I was talking about the cheapest Humax box not Grundig as has already been point out the Grundig does have digital text.

I was confusing the GDT1500T with the GDT1500 which had a lot of issues reported about it on DS. The T model is a fixed model and have seem some other positive postings about it.

7. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks again guys. I've found a few lengthy discussions about the T and no T models. Looks like it coul dbe a good buy if its a T model. Shall go down to Currys or Dixons and take a look. Thats where they are £50.
    Thanks again