1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grundig FTA adapter on sale

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Stuart Brooks, May 15, 2002.

1. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noticed Currys/Dixons are now advertising the new Grundig DTT FTA box, on Currys' home page, at £99.95. Spec looks better than mini-Pace, twin SCARTs, Digital Text operational. Looks a bit like a swing bin lid though..

Stuart

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Do you have any further details of this?

There's nothing on the Grundig web page at all.

3. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet are still selling the ITV Digital boxes for £99.95 while stocks last.

Currys and others don't appear to be selling them any longer.

Leeds Crown Point still had atleast 1 Pioneer box the other day. In comaprison to what they are selling for on e-bay plus carriage it doesn't seem much of a price difference either.

Andy

4. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Grundig website normally features kosher Grundig products, while some of those in DSG are "exclusive" badge-engineered jobs. Grundig do have a digital receiver manufacturing plant in Wales, where they make Sky boxes and DTT modules for their IDTVs. Therefore it's possible it is a proper Grundig box and may appear on the website, though they don't update it that often. (They say "a CAM will soon be available for Ondigital" the CAMs arrived 2 years ago, did their bit and were given their P45s last month!)

There's some comment on DigitalSpy, specs good, appearance a matter of taste, and could double as a pitta warmer!

Stuart

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I just wanna know if it has S-video out on the SCART.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Have seen a 2 page ad in next week's Radio Times from Pace, offering an STB for £130+p&p I think. The picture looks like a 735. Which does have SVideo, and a built in recording event timer, I think.

7. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I had seen this ad before I bought my mini Pace box.
    Talk about basic.
    And the fact that the 6V power supply is fed directly into the scart plug is asking for trouble (interference wise).

:(

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No interference with mine! I wouldn't worry about it...

I love my Pace box - cracking picture! :)

I couldn't entertain a dustbin lid I'm afraid ;)

9. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it causes interference with channel 4 on my analogue input. Plus when I connect the pace box to my scart switch box, the other things connected to it (VCRx 2) go blank.

Never had this prob with my old analogue sky box.

:(

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't that be a problem with RGB breakthrough on your TV?? :confused:
    An incompatibility/problem with the switch box??? :confused:

11. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interference on Analogue can usually be solved by using double screened coax cable from your aerial socket, and also any flyleads running between your Pace box, TV and video.

Stuart

12. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be intersted to see if other owners of the mini box experience similar problems.
    Incidentally I've connected many things to my switch box in the past: pc capture card, pc- tv viewer, vcr's... without problems.
    The switch box is a basic £10 argos type.

Come to think of it the mini box does have a RGB or Composite option. I'll try changing it to see what happens.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hhhmmmm...... Pace might be a tad fussy then.........

Sorry, presumed you were using RGB as I am with mine (I have 2 RGB scarts). Strangely, changing the output settings of the Pace box has no effect! It seems to automatically output the best quality signal based on what the plug is capable of (does on my widescreen TV anyway and on my old Pye 14"). So I can't switch to composite at all because I don't have a composite only scart plug! Weird huh? Not that I'd want to switch to composite though ;) :p

The main gripe I have with the Pace box scart plug is that the input of the mains adaptor and the coax into it makes the plug very bulky. It therefore wouldn't fit in Scart 1 as it stopped the other scarts going in! Had to put it in Scart 2 :( A minor problem for me, but other people might have worse problems due to the location/spacing of their scart sockets.

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Just had a look at the Grundig 'adaptor' and there's no mention of RGB or S-video in the manual.

My guess is that the TV SCART is RGB/Composite and the vcr SCART is composite only.

No good to me then.

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a chance it doesn't do RGB at all? Only composite? :eek:

It might explain why it has a higher spec on paper than the Pace but sold for the same price..... :eek:

16. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried using it in RGB and composite but the other connections were still blanked out. BUT.... When connecting the pace box to my scart switch box input with an extension scart lead (I just happened to have one handy), the other vcr inputs were fine.
    Make of this what you will.

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weird to say the least!! If you connect it directly to your TV scart, do you still get the interference on Channel 4?

18. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found out where I was going wrong regarding the scart switch box problem. It was connected to the AV1 scart input on the rear of my telly. I've found that the prob was cured when I plugged the switch box into the AV2 input. The pace box no longer blanks out the vcr.

The channel 4 (53 mhz in my region) interference still shows up when the box is connected direct to tv. Perhaps my box is faulty.

19. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have a stab at this first - assuming you're not already using double screened coax.

Glad you got the VCR blanking sorted :)

20. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Grundig and the box DOES NOT output RGB, composite only.

That explains the cost and features and I think could well hold them back, I will be getting a PACE box.

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shocking :eek:

You won't regret it. I really like my lickle Pace box. Will be the dog's boolax once we get the software upgrade as well. :)

22. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having visited the Pace web site I have just bought one of the DTR 735 boxes they are selling off, old ITVDigital boxes.

14 day money back guarantee if not satisfied, they get good reviews for their picture quality and with 2 scart sockets allows me to use my high quality scart leads. Was £129 but I think connections will be worth it as I am using a Tivo and I know there have been issues getting the £99 Pace box to connect correctly with the scart socket due to the power supply and aerial inputs.

http://www.pacefreetoview.co.uk/offer.asp

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a very good deal indeed. I bought mine a while ago and they didn't have this offer then, as far as I was aware. If they had, however, I still wouldn't have gone for it. Not because I wouldn't rather have that box (I would), but because I bought my Pace box not knowing whether I'd be able to receive DTTV or not :( Therefore, I had to go with the cheapest option, because it was a gamble. If I had my money over again, knowing now that I can get DTTV, then I'd definitely go for this as it has a better spec (even if it is more bulky).

The inbuilt Scart on the £99 Pace box is actually very good. I'm not sure what the exact spec is, but it delivers a cracking picture. But you are right in that there is definitely a problem with the 'bulk' in the plug. I plug my box straight into my TV and then use the scart loopthrough to record to the VCR. However, I had to carefully re-organise which scarts where plugged into where in the back of my TV. Luckily it fit in the end, but others might not be so lucky, depending on the logistics of their scarts in their TV/VCR/Tivo.

Eventually, I plan to upgrade to a more high spec box and shove this one in a bedroom or use it as a tuner for the VCR so I can watch and record at the same time. But I think it's good value until then (especially as I paid a few quid less than £99) :)

24. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I get an RGB output with my Grundig FTA to my Panasonic WS TV, Not tried the VCR SCART socket though as other have suspected it is probably only Composite, I must say I am impressed with the picture quailty with my Grundig FTA, Though I do have a good signal strength.

Scott

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's digital, so having a good signal strength won't yield better picture quality (like it does with analogue). So long as the signal is strong enough to be 'read', that's it!