Grundig DV3 Video out help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ParaNoiA, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ParaNoiA

ParaNoiA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just purchased a AV amp, and going through the Menu it says to plug my sky into the amp via Video out, I had a look on the back of the sky box and I cant find video out, its a grundig DV3... does this mean I need a new sky box, or is there any other way to connect it to the amplifier..

Also if I need a new Sky box can anyone point in the direction of a cheap one with video please...

thanks in advance

2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Perhaps if you explain what you are trying to achieve with your AV set-up it might help. Why put the Sky video throught the Amp unless you have multiple video sources going to your TV?
    What other equipment do you have?

3. ParaNoiA

ParaNoiA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I was under the impression if I put the sky into the Amp it would force 5.1 sound out, I also have going into the amp an XBOX 360 via HDMI, and a Toshiba DVD Player also through HDMI,

the acheivment hopefully was to get 5.1 sound from as much as possible, but in the manual of the Amplifier it says use the skys Video out and mine doesnt have that output... But without knowing if I can do it a different way or a sky box that has video out im pretty stumped

4. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    How you can get 5.1 Audio from a video signal beats me!!!

The only way to get 5.1 DD is via an optical link. If your Sky box does not have an optical out you cannot get 5.1DD, the best you can get is Dolby Pro Logic via the audio RCA phono outputs from the Sky box to your amp.

5. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Video out (whatever that is) is not audio - so will have no impact on whether you can get stereo, DD5.1, DPL or anything else.

Is this Grundig DV3 a Sky+ box or a standard Sky box? Because standard Sky boxes don't ouput DD5.1 surround sound - only stereo. In which case, just use RCA stereo coaxial cables to connect from Sky out to stereo in on amp.

6. ParaNoiA

ParaNoiA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    sorry thats what I meant, but when it tells me how to connect my sky it asks me to connect the R/L audio out to the amp and also the Video out, I can do the audio out but not the video out, so im not sure how that will effect it.. I havent got the amp wired up yet as im about to go out and buy some more HDMI cables, so thought if there was a way around there being no video out on my sky box I might be able to pick something up when I was out..

thanks for the advice though

7. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    As I asked before - What are you trying to achieve? It sounds as though you are trying to use your AV receiver as the routing port for your TV - ie you use the AV to switch all inputs to your TV.

That being the case you can use a Scart to composite/audio connector on the back of the Sky box to connect the video and audio to your AV.

8. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    The only reason for connecting video as well as audio to an amp is if you are going to use for amp for switching sources on the TV - i.e. you have your Sky box, your DVD player and your video all connected via video and audio to your amp, then a single connection from amp to TV, and you leave the TV permanently switched to (say) AV1. Then, depending which source you want to watch and hear, you choose Sky, DVD or video on the amp.

The downsides to this are twofold - one, you must always have the amp switched on even if you don't want to hear the audio through the amp. And two, having an extra piece of gadgetry sitting in between your various pieces of AV equipment and your TV may well introduce interference or picture degradation that a direct connection between kit and TV does not have. So I would urge you to not connect your Sky boxes video through the amplifier unless you absolutely must (i.e. not enough separate scart inputs on TV for all your kit).

9. ParaNoiA

ParaNoiA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

sorry for the lack of knowledge, I wasnt sure what I was trying to acheive as I was just following the amps manual, but I have just found the lead you mentioned and now it all makes perfect sense...

Many thanks

Going off to buy it now :)

p.s sorry for the confusion

10. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    The ideal solution to your "difficulties" is get an HD box and connect the Sky HDMI output to your AV.