1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grundig 17" LCD Widescreen Television -- it's got component inputs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by StooMonster, Apr 20, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yesterday I took the plunge on 17" LCD widescreen television for my bedroom. After looking at G-Luxon, LG, Sony, etc decided on Grundig (even though they went bust this week) as best value for money option.

Priced at £699.99 in Curries -- £100 cheaper than it's partner company Dixons is selling it for. Good price, even thought I had to venture into one of those horrible electrical retailers who are more interested in selling you expensive "extended warranties" than actual electrical products.

1280x768 picture looks great, even on ropey old RF in shop and it has component video inputs; which is nice. Interestingly specs on website say it has scart inputs, but all I could see were: VGA, YUV, s-video, composite, and RF.

Didn't want their display model, so having one delivered to shop on Tuesday morning. :)

StooMonster

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have had one for just over a week now, working as a multi function device at home here. So far I am quite impressed but mostly with VGA input (no TV yet). Will write it up when I have finished playing

Just for info I bought this unit over all the other WS LCD TVs because of:

High brightness (430cd/m2) normally LCDs are nearer the 150 -250 mark

High contrast 500:1, again most LCDS are half that at 250 -300:1

Fast response 20ms, again most LCDs are 40 - 45 msec

Resolution 1280 x 768, and true widescreen panel.

Component / SVideo / composite video inputs / audio inputs

TV, NICAM, Teletext inside panel

did I mention the panel can swivel through 90 degrees for a portrait monitor (just got to find that PIVOT? software now).

All it misses are BNCs :))) and a DVI input but hey, it is a reasonable trade off for a portable telly!

Th only down side was the idiots in Currys / DIXONs, I got

1. complete rubbish on regional coding from them
    2. Complete garbage re NTSC / PAL
    3. Utter refusal that the panel swivels, I was forcefully told that no way did this panel do this. hey the even got the manager to 'chastise' me over this. I just lend forward and swivelled the panel infront of the now 4 assistants!

I felt it my duty to 'educate' them on points 1 to 3.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Well got it installed in bedroom, looks uber modern and trendy. My wife was immediately impressed.

Whilst waiting for Sky+ in living room, and therefore freeing up dedicated digibox for the LCD, I had to set up RF input.

Now that was a challenge, but only because I didn't read the addendum that came with the instructions. Auto-tune channels wouldn’t work as per instructions, but all other inputs worked; it was very frustrating, but once followed addendum page (retrieved from bottom of box) it was okay.

During this process, I tried all the other inputs to see if there was anything wrong; but they worked very well.

Now left with decision of how to get digibox’s RGBs signal into this screen: RGB2svideo or RGB2YUV or RGB2VGA or composite or even leave as RF (picture’s not bad from viewing distance).

I can not fault this screen on picture quality, it was the best of the 17” LCD I reviewed; only complaint is the sound is tinny and small, first thing my wife pointed out (and she’s always telling me AV is too noisy and bassy). So may have to find a solution there, even the manual says they recommend using an external sound system with this screen – no wonder!

Final tiny gripe is that user interface could be fine-tuned. For example, say I’m on “1” and press “4” on RC to change station, but it doesn’t work, so I press “4” again, but screen jumps to tuning channel 44 because “double clicking” RC’s buttons is how you set the channel frequency for a station. Up and down buttons work much better.

So, pluses are fantastic picture quality and good inputs, minuses are tinny sound and dodgy remote control.

StooMonster

Edited because one day I'll get YUV letters round the right way!

Also, haven't tried progressive-scan into this panel yet -- or NTSC -- will report back.

4. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at 17"-18" displays at the moment for a bedroom set and I'll add the Grundig to my shortlist. Another one that's caught my eye is an 18.1" display that dabs sell under their own brand (dabs value). Doesn't come with a TV tuner but you can buy one for it or just use a vcr as a tuner. Anybody seen a review or bought one of these?

Thanks,

WB

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The beauty of this screen is the contrast, brightness and speed. I am still testing but I feel the panel is a bit like the Panny projector, works at it's best in RGB HD15 signal from an external scaler. I will report back when the masses of visitors have gone back and I am allowed to play again. I must admit to have a real like for this baby, looks like it will go with some Gallos....:D

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Agree with The Beekeeper that picture quality (contrast, brightness and speed) is "best in class".

Now, my challenge is how to get RGBs into it.

From John Sim's site I understand that his RGB2VGA doesn't work with LCD screens.

I'm thinking about an RGB2YUV converter, but would really prefer to use the VGA.

Anyone got any ideas about how I can do this? Without spending same price as screen again, or even more, on a scaler. Beekeeper?

StooMonster