1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grumble grumble moan moan

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by uncle eric, Sep 21, 2002.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I respect HCC magazine for helping to provide this great forum for everyones enjoyment. However, I have to say that some of the reviews need "redressing" from time to time (There, How polite is that)

Now, a few points about the HCC cool stuff Anthony Gallo "review" I would like to redress.

Quote from HCC,
    "The 3" full range driver can deliver 100 watts"

The 3" driver is most certainly NOT full range because the Nucleus Micro is designed as a satellite speaker that is limited to lows of 80Hz. However take note, as in any speaker this is not a brick wall figure. It just means things start rolling off (in this case) from approx 80Hz.
    Newbies will be surpised to know that the vast majority of floorstanders on the market are not full range either. I would define full range as achieving a minimum frequency range of 20Hz to 20kHz. There are few speakers in the world that can do this. John Dunlavys SC-V's are a good example. These 330lb 16k speakers are now a legend due to their use in Gary Rebers (Widescreen Review) Holosonic reference lab.
    http://www.dunlavyaudio.com/products/SC5/index.html
    Nearly forgot, I throw 130-140 watts at the Nucleus Micro's regularly. As in most speakers, the 100 watt (in this case) rating is just a guide.

Quote from HCC,
    "Despite not having a dedicated centre channel, dialogue is clear"

Hmmm, don't quite know what the reviewer means by this. Perhaps he wan'ts Gallo to sell a long box that sits on top of a TV. As with most of these so called dedicated "centre channel" speakers, this would obviously be of a different size (hence internal volume) and shape and for these reasons, will sound totally alien to the other speakers in the system. The sales pitch of using identical drivers in these instances will not cure the problem.

Gallo's come in sets of 2 or 3. If its for a stereo head, no probs, a pair of Gallo's and the sub will work super. If its for a surround set up 3+2, and another pair if you want the 7.1 (6 Channel) route plus the MPS-150 for LFE duty.
    So the answer is no they don't have a "dedicated centre" but instead, as they should.....they use an identical centre.

Magazine writers in question, can you hear the sound of me banging my head on a brick wall. Lets have some correct info for a change.
    Thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)
    Always like to read your posts Uncle Eric, even if i dont always understand everything you say.....any reviews in the pipeline ?

best regards

LittleT2

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah and what does the review mean when it says 'It is recommended to use the systems amplification rather than connecting to an external amp.' ? I presume that's just referring to the sub but it's not obvious from the 'review'...
    Disappointing detail and scope of the review to be honest considering these are causing such a stir but I've come to expect that from HCC reviews these days...

Andy

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,195
    Eric, your post certainly brings up some short comings of this review which I also noticed, and as always constructive.
    I also read with interest the Denon 2800mk2 review, and no mention of the problems that dogged the original(covered in depth on these boards), yet the rival mag, Home Cinema essentials hit the nail on the head with their review.

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Eric, I recently took delivery of the Anthony Gallo catalogue and it was nice to see some full two page, and might I add balanced, reviews from yourself and Nic included.

Sometimes I wonder whether certain magazine reviews are done after a mere passing glance at the equipment in question.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Eric,

I presume you dont read what hifi! :D

I dont believe that half the reviewers have half the knowledge of some of the members here. They end up giving views without knowing the full detail. For a member of the public to do, that is fine, but these are supposed to be professionals and as such should only post a view when they know everything. Or at least that is how i see it.

Plus, they need their english sorted, i have read reviews which read totally differently from intended. Dont ask me to quote cos i dont have the time to go looking! :p

ad

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We got a print out of the reviews with the promotional literature a few months ago. Makes a good read.:)

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi Eric,

The "3" full range driver" bit is taken straight off the specs written in the Micros owners manual. HCC was simply stateing the published specs. I do agree that as a speaker the micros are far from full range, a good sub is a must.