1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrr.. Viewing HD LCDs in stores like Comet, Currys

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Scoobiesnacks, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've been viewing HD LCDs all weekend without much success.

2 main problems, lack of latest stock from Philips and Samsung, then , inexcusable in my view, all the stores I went in, including an independent -

(a) didn't show standard broadcast TV - for me this is the ultimate test, how does the LCD cope with a normal SB feed, because for the next 5 years the majority of channels will not be HD in my view, there just isn't the catalogue of programmes

(b) were using shared composite connections into the machines, not even high quality cables.

Surely they can't sell TV's that way? The pictures, especially LCDs, look c**p

Even John Lewis, I am surprised does this

I'd set up a TV shop myself to compete if it wasn't for the fact that I know everyone gets their kit over the internet.

Any tv stores anyone wants to recommend for viewing LCD TVs in the Manchester area would be most welcome, especially if its got the Philips 9830 on display

2. funky phil

funky phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know what you mean i was looking around stockport stores comet currys etc etc last week and most had there lcd`s not even turned on!!

3. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sounds like we were in the same stores then!

I reckon most people must be buying off the look of the plastic, not the screen. Whats the point running split composite into 100 screens?!

The only way I could get any real test was to get one small store to run a 10metres scart from a sky box, even then it bleed all over the place (presumably due to the length of the lead)

4. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not defending Currys at all, but my local store did have a special booth setup with all the HD TV's connected to a top quality DVD, SKY and normal TV so you could see the difference. All in all a very good display. :thumbsup:

5. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sounds great , it wouldn't happen to be in the Manchester area would it? Did any set impress you?

6. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all fairness though it isn't just LCDs that this happens with.
    Maybe it is beacuse they are the "new" thing that we are annoyed by it at the moment but years ago CRTs were just the same with one naff ariel feed between two dozen sets.
    In my local Currys/Comet they do have ariel feeds to SOME of the LCD sets but like has been said before it really doesn't do them justice when it is split between numerous sets.
    For me though it wasn't a consideration as I use either Sky or DVD and the HD demo managed to convince me even though I knew I wouldn't get that standard at home at the moment.

7. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a great display because they had two LG screens(can't remeber which ones!) the same, side by side. One running DVD HD and one playing from standard aerial feed.....what a difference!

Enough for me to go and order a Samsung......purely fiancial choice. It is being delivered tomorrow.

8. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Currys near Wednesbury in the Midlands (Just off Junction 9 M6) has a huge HD wall of TV's (noticeably mostly LG's as I recall) showing some fantastic footage of both HD and SD.

If I was another HD manufacturer I would be majorly p'ed off as the other TV's were fed a really dodgy comp feed. Made the Panasonics and Hitachis look awful.

9. Mars2003

Mars2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    LG Must have some some sort of agreement (bung) with Dixons/Currys. The Princes Street Branch in Edinburgh has an LG with an HD feed going to it right at the front door to catch your attention. The rest of the LCDs just seem to be on freeview.