1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrr SKY ONE ALL NEW Grrrr

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    What stupid cretin decided to double the already intrusive SKY ONE logo just for Enterprise by adding 'ALL NEW' underneath?
    It's like they want to spoil it for us specially because they know we'd hate it more.
    MORONS MORONS MORONS
    If you haven't already signed the petition at What Video PLEASE go and do so.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't imagine what these idots are thinking, to put something so stupid on our screens. Do they genuinely think viewers want these damn logos?

It's such a dumbing down, 'Americanisation' of our TV services. Do they really think we get confused about what channel we're watching, and if we've seen the programming before. Royally pees me off! :mad:

Surely there must be grounds for legal action to get rid of this crap!

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought it was bad anough when they changed there logo recently . this made the damn thing bigger as it is without more crap

all i can say is ":mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: "

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Words fail me:(

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    They'll probably have 'sponsors' logos on the screen soon!

6. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought you might like to see this letter posted on another forum regarding this subject:

So do I send them this or not then?
    15th January 2002

Dear Sky,

I understand that you have received some criticism of late for the on screen logos and interactive buttons that appear on the screening of certain programs. I for one wish to applaud you for this move and wish to see more of it in the future, considering there are two further corners of the screen to fill I am quite excited about future on screen features.

I so enthused by the situation that I think other industries could perhaps adopt a similar system. I list out below my ideas, if you wish to present them to the relevant industries let me know and I will be happy to provide you with more in depth detail.

Cars

The kind of people that need reminding which television channel they are watching obviously need some form of assistance informing them of their current car choice. My idea therefore is that cars have their make and model etched onto the inside of the windscreen and if the car itself is less than three months old the owner can have "BRAND NEW" underneath the make and model just so he knows he's not driving a second hand car. In a further progression of technology a red dot could appear on the right hand side of the windscreen and if the driver presses a button on their dashboard then an "interactive" menu appears in a heads up display on their windscreen offering deals on de-icer or a competition to win a years supply of oil.

Restaurants

Although fairly interactive anyway the process of eating could be made more pleasurable with the introduction of Sky-like facilities such as an area of the plate being reserved for meal identification. For instance, a person may be presented with a meal and have forgotten what they ordered but the presence of "SALMON EN CROUTE" in the left hand quarter of his plate would remind them and avoid any embarrassing faux pas. Whilst eating, the right hand quarter of the plate could be used as an "Interactive" service button. When pressed, the waiter will glide across to the table and offer various other dishes and ancillary food stuffs as well as the chance to win a years supply of garlic. In accordance with current Sky practices when the "Interactive" button is pressed the meal should be taken away from the diner until such time as they press "backup".

Brothels

In order for prostitution to enter the 21st century and become acceptable to our modern culture it must fully embrace the technology pioneered by yourselves. I suggest that upon engaging in coital activity with a "lady of the night" said concubine be clearly labelled on the forehead thus - "You are being fellated by Angela" or the like. Also, I feel the right nipple could be painted red and the woman in question fully briefed on other services with can be offered once the "red button" is pressed - not only can various items be offered for sale at this point but a competition to win a years supply of wire brushes and Dettol could also be entered. Again, in accordance with current Sky procedures a full dismount must occur having pressed the "red button" although sounds can still be heard for a short while.

I hope you find my ideas interesting but fully expect generic answer number 7 regarding anything to do with the Interactive services.

7. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say i don't claim to be the author of the above letter just the forum won't allow me to edit my automated signature from the end.

8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Agree with all of the above. I think Sky are on somekind of suicide mission. Its like they have paid some idiot in advance, to come up with as many ways as possible to annoy the hell out of us, and they want to make sure they get their money's worth out of him.

It really is beyond belief

Dean

btw - i sent them the email below, and include the reply.....

hello

i have been a subscriber to sky for a number of years now, but can honestly say that as far as the on-screen sky one logos go, tonights showing of 'startrek 2 - wrath of khan' - with the extra advert in the right corner for 'enterprise', just about takes the biscuit. I have put up with the logo situation thus far, simply because i am a big fan of some of the programmes you show first before terrestrial tv. But trust me, if this new idea of 2 ogos on-screen continues, i shall cancel my sky subscription, and wait for my favourite shows to appear in their purest form on the BBC.

To put it bluntly - who thought up this crazy logo idea, and what the hell were they thinking about!!

Thank you for your email and comments, please allow me to explain.

The on screen logos you describe are designed to give valuable viewer information. In the case of the weekend Star Trek specials, a logo was included to announce the arrival of the new Enterprise series - this will not be repeated in the series proper and is not a permanent feature. The full active logo is sometimes used to draw attention to a particular interactive opportunity - in this case a Sc-fi quiz - on other occasions a red dot is included to highlight that there are general interactive viewer opportunities.

I very much hope that I have clarified our position in this matter and may I wish you continued enjoyment of Sky.

Angela Hart

Viewer Relations

.....i'll be sending her another email about last nights developement of course

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How strange, thats exactly the same answer I got, word for word! I hope it's not just a computer answering! I wouldn't put it past them.

DaveP

10. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    ......neither would i dave

and have you ever phoned them up about it?. All i ever got was "well - no-one else has complained about it"

LYING B*s%¬*ds

dean

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thought we got this valuable information at the beginning and end of ad breaks and between movies. (it's rammed down our throats).

SKY have e-mails/petitions flooding in to their office complaining about LOGOS, and they sign off by saying "i wish you continued enjoyment".........We are COMPLAINING not enjoying ........GOT IT!!

What a bunch of :clown:s

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is a fairly simple solution to the ongoing problem of logos.

Stop paying Sky. End your subscription. Tell them why. Confine your viewing to traditional channels 1,2,3 and 4.

Whilst we're on the subject of Sky being Annoying.....

Most of Sky1 output is US TV fodder. The makers of these programmes always structure them around 8-minute segments separated by natural breaks in the storyline for US TV adverts. These segments and breaks are obvious.

Why do Sky insist on breaking transmission for adverts at places OTHER than those that are designed into the show. Every episode of Enterprise has had its ad breaks about 30 seconds before the "proper" places.

BTW - I only have Sky as part of the basic ITV digital offering, and I only have that because, right now, prepaid ITV-D is the cheapest way of using a digital set top box (I'm NOT having a used Amstrad Sky box - no way). I WILL end my subsription as soon as there is a cost effective alternative for widescreen free-to-air.

Oh, and then there's widescreen. I've no doubt Enterprise was shot 16x9. We'll find out for sure when the Beeb show it.

Do Sky actually employ any people with technical knowledge of the medium? Don't Sky know that they can broadcast 16x9 via digital with a 4x3 trigger signal so that people with 4x3 TVs can still get a 4x3 image? Don't they know they can actually satisfy 100% of their potential users, and not just 66% (their figures)?

Bunch of idiots if you ask me.

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528
    i believe the BBC haven't got Enterprise, i think Channel 4 has it next!

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    What’s up with Sky they introduce technology as Nigel state, then do not use it for W/S material. Loads of stuff they show is in W/S, as I have seen when its shown on the BBC and Channel4.

As I’ve said in the past BSB use to say "you watch we listen" Sky’s more like "you pay we do damn well what we like suckers".

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.