1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrr Ebay!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chedmaster, Jul 23, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I love Ebay. My feedback is 81, and i think it is brilliant apart from one thing (before you all say "oh its full of scammers who never send you anything or send you an empty box" thats just ridiculous and narrow minded, so you lot can leave now!).

The one thing that annoys me is people from Nigeria or some other corrupt country using buy it now and ending my item and then either not contacting me or demanding that i ship 4 of the things (funnily enough i dont have 4 PC's or 4 mobile phones in EXACTLY THE SAME condition! :mad: ) and then they say they'll pay by money order.

In fairness to ebay they always contact me within an hour and tell me im subject of something dodgy, but still these people REALLY **** me off, the promise that ebay refund when you relist an item without increasing the price is bull as well it never seems to happen :confused:

Right now I am beside myself. Someone has registered on Ebay, from Singapore, TODAY and strolled in to my auction just to find my email address and sell it to some gay little firm.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

To clarify the item is here and I clearly stated that I would ship to the UK, not nigeria etc, and if emailed politely i may consider shipping to europe. As you can see someone had already contacted me about paying with western union (they already stole £2k and a plasma off me thanks!).

comments welcome :)

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You have to be 18 to use eBay. ;)

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i am. what you talking about?! :laugh:

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Silly me. :rotfl:

Obviously when buying on eBay there are certain good practices to follow but there simply isn't anything you can do beyond what you seem to have done whilst selling. It's just the nature of eBay. :)

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    that was my inner child, im actually 56.

ive just relisted it now if he emails me and agrees to pay a ludicrously overpriced postage fee ( :D ) i have provided, then i will end early, but it doesnt look like he's going to, and having stated i would post to UK only, surely i have the right to reject the sale?

6. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You've got the option to have it as a private auction so that interested parties need to contact you first to be allowed to bid.

Never had any problems with Ebay, but havent really used it in a while

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i thought i saw that somewhere but i think it will put people off, because theres so many of that particluar phone on there, they would probably rather avoid the hassle and bid on someone elses. the guy emailed again, asking to ship to nigeria for a "surprised birthday present" and said he would pay anything for postage. im sure he just wanted my home address, kept asking for it.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you are right.......just ignore him

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just tell him you need $400 to release the millions in your family fortune that the evil dictator Tony Blair has locked away and you need his bank details to move the funds out of the UK and he can have 10% of the fortune

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    :D nice one horny

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  12. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    look at this! relisted here: [******]

and check this out!!!: [*******]

look familiar???

url's removed by Ian J

13. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    You can set up your auction so only members registered on ebay UK can bid. Overseas members then can't bid even if they try. It tends to keep the scammers away!

14. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I too think eBay is an excellent place to pick up bargains. My feedback of +220 and I have been using it for about 4 years with no problems.

But what I really hate about it is people selling electronic goods from China, Singapore, Thailand etc, but they come up when you search for items in the UK.

If you want to try it, search for mp3 players or SD cards available in the UK and you will see that 90% are abroad. A pain.

15. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I like ebay - my feedback is 61, howevr, I'm staill waiting for a cd from someone who said they posted it a month ago from scotland...he has been in touch, but I've already given him bad feedback...

16. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I would not use BIN just set a reserve and let it go.. that way if more than one person bids (and the winner is a scammer) you can second chance offer it to the next bidder.. might stop you having to constantly relist.

Matt

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What annoys me about ebay is sellers who don't leave you feedback until you leave it for them...
    Whenever I win an auction I always pay for it immediately via paypal so effectively my end of the deal is done, but most sellers will not leave your feedback until they are sure that you haven't left bad feedback for them :thumbsdow

18. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think I must be the only person not to have used E-bay ever. I have used Pay-pal though does that count. :)

19. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Whether buying or selling (either here or on Ebay) I don't leave feedback until after confirmation of receipt by the buyer. Until it's arrived and the end user is happy with the product then there's always the risk of having to deal with insurance or returns which should also be included within the feedback experience IMO. :)

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I have never used ebay either it all seems to much hassel to me. :confused:

21. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    'Used to be' more like. Over the last year it's become increasingly undermined by:-

1) Scammers. This is getting worse and worse.
    2) People who don't check prices before bidding, and thus making using Ebay for bargains less and less worthwhile. It's got so bad that it's actually cheaper to use other online stores rather than ebay for a lot of new(ish) goods. Frankly this is becoming such a problem it's cut my use of ebay right down. Which might not be such a bad thing.......... :D
    3) Postage ripoffs
    4) People knowingly selling goods that are not up to the standard they claim. Up until the last six months or so I only got caught once in three years. This year I've been caught four times already!
    5)...................and related to that, Ebay feedback doesn't work when it comes to leaving a negative. This is supposed to deter or punish rogue dealers. All that happens is that they retaliate and ruin your seller rating!

Just my thoughts.............

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

This is why I have stayed away from ebay. Especialy on point 1 & 2.

I'd rather use a reputable e-trader.

23. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
  24. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I disagree.

As a seller, I don't feel that the transaction with the buyer has finished until the buyer has confirmed they are happy with the goods. Just because they may pay quickly does not mean that they are going to act fairly & reasonably in the event of any dispute over the goods.

25. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
  26. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    There seems to be a lot of very stupid people buying on eBay. I regularly see things go much higher than you can actually go to Argos, Currys etc and buy them for.

As for the postage costs ripoff. Totally agree.

I was looking for a HDD this week and the fella was looking for ...... £25 to post it !!!!!!!! I emailed him questioning this and he said that he got an alternative service for the reduced price of £15 !!!!!!!!

As someone who has posted/received items such as VCRs, DVD recorders, Sky digiboxes etc (all much heavier than a HDD) I know that £10 will post most items. A disk drive should cost no more than £4-ish. Just someone looking to boost their profit by creaming off on the p&p.

Also have seen UK sellers asking for £7.99 postage for a memory card!! Thats right, a memory card which is not much bigger than a stamp.

27. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Ive just sold two fairly large yet lightweight items on ebay to the same bidder and Ive asked for £5 postage each. I will probably save some money on P&P but iam not going to reduce it if he asks as there are other factors such as having to walk the 2 miles to the post office with these bulky items.

Incidently one of the items sold for £4 more than you can get in the shops I couldnt believe my eyes :)

You win and lose with ebay some pikey bid 99p each with £1 P&P each for two USB hubs and won so by the time ive p&p them I'll be lucky to get a drink out of it. :rolleyes:

I dont post feedback untill it has been received. Have never purchased anything on ebay as I dont think that the savings are good enough i.e recently bought a Mini ipod through amazon but if had bought it on ebay would only have saved £10 and it would have come from god knows where without any warranty etc.
    Just my humble..

28. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Yes, but that's the same with any auction. I've 'lost' money on some items, done better on others.

My worst moment on ebay came last week. Nothing to do with the above. Years ago my old dear bunged away 'Please, please me', in good nick, with that gold lettered label. I rushed home at the time to warn her not to (I was reading record collecter at work!) but was too late.......... bizzare eh? Anyway, that same album just went under the hammer for £2,000! Two flaming grand! *sobs, wails* :rolleyes:

I do not overcharge on postage regardless, and I do refund if there is a difference in P&P and the amount I've put down. If you get involved in the merry go round of overcharging everyone loses out in the end.

29. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I just can't believe people buying something like that...Why pay 17.01 plus P&P when you can get it for 15.99 including p&p advertised on the same page...How stupid are some people....That's generally what I find on eBay, people buy anything at ridiculous prices, they deserve it....

Also I don't give feedback immediately to a fast payer. The deal is not complete until you have delivered and got proof of delivery of the goods. Until such moment it can be relative easy to perform a charge-back via PayPal or your own credit card company....One day the funds are there, the next they are gone....People need to get their head out of the sand and take some responsibility, don't just blame eBay or how dangerous it is...It's not....