GRRR Image burn!!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Douzeper, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wee girl watches Nikolodeon a lot and there, blue arrow and red dot, is now burned an image onto my rear projection TV.

I assume Sky accept no responsibility on this?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Of course not and neither does the manufacturer although you will read in your TV manual a warning about long exposure to static images.

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Slightly off topic, but I do have a question:

I have Sky Multiroom, and my normal Sky Box has been upgraded so it now has the option to auto remove the red dots / banners etc.

My Sky+ box hasn't yet recieved this upgrade and thats where I'd like it most. The Sky+ is connected to the Plasma screen and I really don't want that to burn.

Should I expect the upgrade anytime soon or should I get in touch with Sky and request it?

Parm

P.S. Douzeper, my Toshiba Rear Projection got a screen burn and it really is a bummer. It is unfortunately our responsibility, and all we can do now is replace the screen. Even more unfortunately, it's not cheap and I could probably pick up a new set cheaper so it's staying burnt for me.
    Even worse, it burnt when my mom left it on one of the radio stations on preset 1 (bright). Women. :rotfl:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky+ boxes are usually the last ones to receive the updates. Shouldn't be long now.

5. SimonSays

SimonSays

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hey ParmMan,
    What's all this you say about a Sky Box upgrade to allow automatic removal of the red dot / banners ? - sounds great, how do I get it? :clap:

Thanks,
    Simon.

6. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    hehe, Hi Simon,

On your Sky box, go to picture settings and see if your software has been upgraded you should have an option to automatically remove red dots after a set time, I think it's set to 30 seconds as default.
    There's also a few new options under the Languages and Subtitles menu, don't remember what they do now though.

Our Sky box has been updated so we do have those options on the Sky box, but our Sky+ box still hasn't been updated.

I phoned the Sky guy earlier and he said Sky+ upgrades should start rolling out end of August. I'll keep an eye out, but I won't hold my breath hehe.

7. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll know immediately when you've got the upgrade, the background colour to the menu's will change to light blue instead of the familiar dark.The only option for the icon timeout is on or off.The software version number is Sky+1.30.n.

8. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    If it did that to your TV, just think what it's doing to your child's brain. I despair of parents these days. They let their children watch cr@p TV programmes for hours each day and grow up into morons. How about trying books or at least educational programmes like "The Simpsons"?

GDAR ;)

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey, Nickelodeon used to have great animation! I think it's turned into a teen channel now though.

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    MMMmmm.. I though rear projections dont get screen burn?

11. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think Rear Projections are the ones most susceptible to screen burn.
    CRT's not so like, LCD's I think are impossible to burn (at least I hope so, I use mine on my PC!).
    Plasma's can burn, but the one I have has a very handy auto off function so it's very very unlikely I could burn it.

12. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

The main problem is not that she watches loads of TV, she never turns the bloody thing off! :rolleyes: That has now changed!! image burn can do a lot to a Mans attitude :D

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There are two types of rear projection set :

• DLP rear projection - uses a DLP mirror chip, rotating colour wheel and high-brightness lamp and lenses to produce a picture. No screen burn, but replacement lamps can be expensive.
    • CRT rear projection - uses a small high-brightness CRT and mirrors to produce a picture. Can suffer from screen burn.

I suspect Douzeper has the latter.

14. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ah yes, it's a CRT Rear Projection that I have too, that's the one with the screen burn.

15. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its really starting to **** me off! can't watch the TV without looking for it, oh well suppose I'll ignore it eventually.

is it true that LCD can't burn?

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

In the traditional sense no although there have been a handful of people who have seen an effect described as "image persistence" which I believe is caused by a residual charge to the indivdual pixels which does fade over time or can be removed by turning the screen off a period of time.
    A higher possibility of it appearing on PC displays than panels used for television.

Basically it's very very unlikely under normal domestic use for a LCD TV to be damaged in this way were as it's very easy to do the same to a plasma although these days sensible use means screen burn is much less of an issue on plasma displays.

17. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info.

Another question..... as I'm now taking a very big interest on images on my screen! is it only coloured images that can burn? as when i press backup the likes of the Disney Channel still has its Mickey Mouse logo in botom left hand corner, also nikolodeon still has its orange "splash" in top left after removing the red dot and blue arrow. Can these burn also?

Even the likes of the BBC logo and umpteen other logos that don't go with the "backup" function.

18. Tony Ferrino

Tony Ferrino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I watch a DVD on my Panny AE200 (LCD) and fall asleep during (not a rare occurrence!), I regularly get a residual image from the static menu screen after the film finishes. Thankfully the image goes away after a day or so. The first one appeared a few days after I bought the thing, did I panic or what!

However, even though the image goes away eventually, I'm very wary of using my PC or games consoles on the projector. I don't like the idea of having the screen icons like health or ammo in the same place on the screen for so long.

19. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Any static image can burn eventually regardless of the colour...

John

20. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    My toshiba crt rear projection set ended up with the sky banner burned in it, the one that appears when you change channel, it was never left on for any period of time just the normal 5 secs. Had to get rid of the tv in the end, now have the sony lcd rp, lets hope thats less susceptible

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Burns caused by coloured images are probably slightly more noticeable.

22. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I use a Philips 26" LCD screen as my primary display for my PC, it is usually on 24 hours a day but I have the screen saver set for 5 minutes.
    I've had it for over a month now and had no problems so far.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Image retention was a problem on early LCD screens, but not any more. I've had this Iiyama E430S displaying the normal Windows format for more than two years now, and no sign of any image retention.