1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grown man weeps

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Oh boy, have I witnessed a disaster this evening. On my dog walking route I pass a rather posh house with one of those fancy Victorian conservatories. As I was passing, I could see a couple of men inside doing something to the wall, but could not see what. Anyway I carried on with walking my dog not wanting to appear nosey (which I am). On my way back however, I could see a man outside the conservatory curled up moaning "no, oh my god no" I thought he had hurt himself and asked if he was alright. He didn't answer however, then his friend appeared looking shocked and drawn. It appeared that what they had been doing was putting a large 50" Plasma on the wall. They had just finished and gone into the kitchen for a brew when they heard a tremendous crash. When they rushed into the conservatory, yes you've guessed it, the screen had been to heavy for the raw plugs and come crashing down, the screen simply exploded into bits. This guy was literally crying. A salutary lesson to us all - make sure you use heavy duty fixings.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've always thought that plasma's were not all that they were cracked up to be.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, he should be thanking the God of DIY for saving him from a the purgatory of having to watch a Plasma at all!

At that size, he'd be better off with a groovy wee projector! They can project onto the very space where the Plasma should have been....after they've patched it up! I wonder if the insurance will cough up...

Jimmy

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I wondered that to Jimmy. I know we can laugh, and it was probably akin to the chandelier scene from fools and horses, but joking apart you can really feel for the chap can't you. I think I would have cried to.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wouldn't it have been great if they'd had a high speed camera on it as it crumbled off the wall and imploded spectacularly all over the shag pile. Imagine watching that back in slow motion! Ouch.....Poor guy.

Jimmy

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ......... and then someone like Jeremy Beadle or Noel Edmunds appears from behind the curtains "GOTCHA".

Oh how we would laugh.

It was more than likely to be insured ... he problably should be thanking us as we will be paying for his incompetence (and his new set) out of our increased premiums

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    providing it wasn't over his single item limit....

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Crikey ! I can't believe how dense some people can be ! Putting up a 50" Plasma on rawl plugs and then walking away from it !?! Even when I put my 32" LCD up with heavy duty fixings I couldn't keep my eye off it all night and was bricking it when I went to bed. There is a sofa in front of the LCD so if it did fall, the sofa would catch it.

Luckily, it hasn't. Maybe there should be a sticky on the LCD and Plasma forums saying the following.....

Title: Fixing your flat planel to the wall

Content: Do not use Rawl Plugs !

:smashin:

Richie.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have an update on this chaps disaster, talked to him this evening whilst taking my dog for it's constitutional (god I'm a nosey sod aren't I) Anyway the news is not good, this is what the insurance company has said to him. They are not minded to pay out for the following reasons - 1. The item was not listed under the individual high value items (he had only just bought it three hours earlier) 2. Such a high value item, given it's weight and value should have had a professional install - take note everyone 3. A high value item such as this would not have been deemed safe from a burglary point of view in a conservatory, and so they would not have insured it anyway (not sure how that has got anything to do with it falling off the wall, probably just another insurance get out clause). It does make you wonder why we bother with insurance, although this information does provide some sobering food for thought. I have suggested to the chap that he appeals to the insurance ombudsman.

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Could he not say it was damaged in transit ? Did he buy it with a credit card ?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ALot of home insurance wont cover a wall mounted plasma unless done by a profeesional (means you need a reciept) and a 50" in a conservatory!!!!!!! what was he thinking!!! and expensive mirror and a way for local "dog walkers" to watch TV for Free!!!!!

12. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will find that insurance companies are very happy to cash (and increase) premiums, but once it is time to pay... well.

When I bought my 32" LCD I got an insurance package with it. I had to pay 10 euro in the shop, then had the time to read the policy at home and decide to pay more for 3 or 5 year coverage. The 10 euro covered the trip home and the first week (in which the buyer has to decide).

I decided not to go with it, but in cases like the one described here it would be useful.
    For the 3 or 5 year coverage, I decided it was too expensive and offered too little.

13. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    "Local Dog Walkers" and "Free TV" I don't know who you could be thinking about. On a serious note though, if they won't pay up for a non professionally installed Plasma, then you can bet the insurance companies will treat LCD exactly the same - all wall mounted DIY installs please note. Another point - how many people list their Plasma or LCD as an individual high value item on their policies? On Richies point about "could he not say it was damaged in transit" a bit late for that Richie now he's spilt the beans on how he did do it.

14. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477

1. Three hours after he bought it ? What's a reasonable time to have told the insurers ? Since when do insurance companies specify when you have to let them know by ? He'd just bought it so it's humanly reasonable that he hadn't told them, IMO. He was excited, goddamit :D Of course he should have told them...OTOH.

2. True, AFAIAC. But can be obviously DIY-ed with a little forethought/research.

3. Since when do insurers want/need to know where high value items are ? You just list it and pay any extra premium and you're done. It would be interesting for A.N. Other to 'add' a similar item - different town, name etc, similar type of area - and see what the same insurer says.

If someone's loaded enough to have a 50" Plasma in their conservatory I'm sure there should be something better inside his house anyway - unless his crying was that of someone who'd just dropped onto a massive bargain somewhere and was lamenting his newfound joy.

Mike.

15. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I've finally decided not to hang my LCD with a wall bracket, instead i'm going to use Liquid Nails, hell if it can stick a fat bloke on a chair to a wall....................

16. motr

motr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Before going to his insurance company, he should have sat down and had a good think.

He could have quite easily have said that he and friend (friend may be an important factor here) were lifting plasma out of box when a bloke walking his dog banged on the window shouting 'nice telly', only for it to fall from their grasp.

Accidental damage. Not a problem.

Seriously, he could have got round this if he had thought about it.

What a bloody shame for the bloke though!!!

17. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, but if it's a big insurance company, the chances of getting the same muppet in the call centre is remote. So long as the first muppet didn't make a note, he might be able to get away with it. I would have "Made enquiries" in the first place to guage the insurance company first instead of blurting out that I'd just smashed a 50" plasma.

By the way, have you posted this on the Plasma forum ? I'm sure some on there would cry with this story !

Richie.

18. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe add a comment to the "Wall Mount Service" thread?