1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grounding speaker cables into TAG Amps?!

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by adomingos, Dec 22, 2004.

1. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    one question for the community...

Supose you have a speaker cable that contains a shield that on the amp side should be connected to the amp. In the case of TAG 100x5R or the TAG 250x3R where it should be connected? Should it be connected at all?

The 100x5R manual states "This product is double insulated and does not require a safety ground connection" although I think their referring to mains not the ground from the audio signal... :confused:

The 250x3R manual doesn't state a thing regarding this...

Any thoughts appreciated...as always ;)

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why are you using a shielded cable from an amplifier to a speaker? I would have thought that a nice thickness of conductor would have been a better bet than a thinner, shielded, one.

3. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ed.

Because it's the construction of the cable, and who said the cable was thin?!

The shield have one function, diminuishing RFI, EMI, in or out, the thickness have other, wich is increase/decrease resistance... so what's your point?

4. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would connect the speaker postive and negative cable screen to the - terminal on the back of the amp. On the speaker end I would connect the +/- with the screens disconnected. This way it will act as a screen and not another signal return path.

Time to buy some heatshrink to make that a neat job! :eek:)

Merry Christmas

5. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Adomingos,

I've never seen a coax cable with as much metal in the core as you get with typical good quality OFC speaker cables. What is this stuff?

What difference does RF make at the speaker end - I think I'd be doing well to hear 12K these days let along RF or harmonic interaction with 20 - 10K Hz. Is it something in the design of certain amps that an antenna effect in the speaker cables feeds back into the system and impacts sound quality in an audible way? Do TAG amps suffer from this? Are Bryston amps susceptible? If they are then are companies like Monster being negligent in no providing screening on their speaker cables?

Its too late in my case but I'm interested to know more.

6. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Tks, Stevesky, on the speaker end that's not a problem and I knew the screen shouldn't be connected, on the amp side what do you mean by "screen to the - terminal on the back of the amp". Do you mean the negative output for the speaker.

I'm asking this because some amps have proper identified terminals for this, not the case of the tag amps... maybe they were not designed to! Tag amps have some screws on the back but i don't see any identification that make associate them with that kind of use...

7. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Edward, I'm not sure I understood what you ment, but here some thougts...

Just to let you know the cable I'm talking about is Supra Ply 3/4S were S stands for (S)hielded. In fact they have both versions, so they are not being negligent, it's matter of design option. It could or could not make a diference depending on the environment you are to have or not he shield on the cable. A fact is that a cable always produce or induce some energy, in or out.

I can tell you that so far i've been using this cable version without the shield connected :blush: nevertheless i like the sound i get from them. Others say the soundstage colapses without the shield connected so I must try this... ;)

8. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks Adomingos,
    I'd be interested to know how you go with a blind audition of the shielded vs unshielded in terms of sound stage.

Orange Mobile want to put a big antenna base station about 40 yards from my home cinema (yes, I live in a residential area). Will I hear a difference that can be treated by using shielded speaker cables?

9. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Connect it to the black coloured terminal. The speaker terminals are colour coded ( red= +, black = - ).

10. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edward, blind test in this case would be very simple depending of course on how the screen is made available on the cable.

Regarding the shield, only your tests will tell ;) If you're happy with what you have stick with it :)

Stevesky, ok now was clear. :smashin: I think I was being kind of a dumb here... :eek:

Merry Christmas

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I suppose the obvious thing to say here is you MUST make absolutely sure that if you connect the screen to the conductor (of the the negative cable on a speaker pair as Steve suggests) that you also make VERY sure that the positive conductor of the speaker pair can not ever never make contact with the shield at either end........ Stray bits of shielding wire/foil always find their way to where they are not wanted if your not very neat and careful (as Steve says heat shrink is a very good idea).

At least Edward's heating bills wil go down with all that microwave energy blasting into his home..... It worries me that phone companies can do this sort of thing in residential areas. The best one I've seen recently is a phone mast on a gasworks site (yes with a BIG gasometer!!!) a few roads away from me. I am sure the bang will be heard in Reading if it all goes terribly wrong..... Now what was that bit about mobile phones and petrol stations....... :eek: Ah yes there is also a petrol station across the road from where the mast is.......

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

I didn't think the PWB stuff was still around :eek:

Anyway I'm off to take my CDs out of the freezer before putting my green pen to work :rotfl:

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Afraid so...

Don't forget that the freezer has to face north.... :rotfl:

14. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    My freezer is pointing west, that's where I've being going wrong! Thanks' for the tip :smashin:

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Are we on the wrong thread?

16. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham, thanks for calling my attention, but I'm a picky kind of guy! ;)