Grounding an amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Filipedine, Oct 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Filipedine

Filipedine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I have a NAD 312 that comes with a ground post/plug, this plug allows to hook a ground cable to the amps chassi. Like many of us, I have the system on my living room, meaning no metal pipes available and no garden nearby to create an alternative ground. So I was wondering, if you could help me with some suggestions on how to hook this ground to the amplifier?

Many thanks in advance

Fil

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    I thought the grounding post was more to attach the ground from a turntable, it shouldn't be necessary to ground the amp I don't think.

3. Filipedine

Filipedine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will have to check the power plug, to see if it has 2 or 3 terminal, if it only has 2, then no ground is on the amp, 3 then there is a high probability that the amp has internal ground. But usually the outside ground is used when amps have metal chassis - so I would assume it needs to be grounded for safety reasons.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919
    As Jamie says, the Grounding terminal is for a connected turntable. If the chassis required electrical grounding, that would be achieved by the mains input cable/plug. Your amp has a fixed 2-core cable and doesn't need grounding in normal use.

5. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Agree with John. The amplifer will have been constructed in such a fashion that there is no possibility of the live,or neutral power lines touching any metal of the casing. It is a strategy adopted by a lot of audio equipment designers. The connection on the amplifer is to insure that the pickup signals from a turntable remain in a shielded..not (grounded ) environment all the way from the cartridge. The minute signals from a vinyl pickup,prior to the preamp stage are extremely vunerable.

6. Filipedine

Filipedine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've looked at the amp Power plug and it online has 2 terminals (hot and neutral), so no ground.

Form what I've been reading, some time a go in HiFi it was usual to ground the amps When they had a metal fraim - could this be that type of case?

Regarding turntable, can't speak about the it or tis issues has I am a CD fan and have Very limited experience, but Dannniellls explenation does also seem probable.

Fil