1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Groundhog Day: Collectors Edition NOT 5.1!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I have always wanted to buy Groundhog Day, but the UK release was only "Surround Sound". I heard that a R4 'collectors edition' was coming out and decided to wait..

I got it today, but to my surprise it just has 5 'surround' sound tracks.. No 5.1!

Not that the film needs 5.1, but its the principle!

2. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :rolleyes: Jon, it's a comedy! Is it less funny because of the "missing" channels? When the film was made it wasn't intended to have anything other than a matrixed soundtrack. C'mon isn't it funny enought? Is'nt the dialog intelligble? Best wishes!

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was all set to order the R4 version. I'm sure the R1 has a new 5.1 mix however, as its also got a DTS track.

And when has 5.1 only been for action films? Comedies have surround activities as well!

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I could argue that the film should only have it's original soundtrack, I won't. I will suggest that 5.1 treatment won't necessarily help a thing. Back in 1993 more films were recorded for matrixing than the very few that were intended to be discrete, then. Owning the region 1 release with a mediocre non-anamorphic pic and Dolby Surround sound. I can tell you that the sound is excellent. The pic needs to be enhanced for 16 x 9, it's mediocre.

Most of the older films that get remixed to 5.1 don't seem to really benefit all that much IMHO. So, they put some music or reverb in the sides here or there so you'll hear it now and then. The new BUCKAROO BANZAI is a prime example. The surrounds fire up on it three times, all for musical content only. Granted, GD is some newer, but having it light up all the 5.1 indicator lights on your head unit won't mean it's really, really 5.1. The durn film is so bleeding funny, the last thing I'd be thinking about during it is the suround effects or lack there of. An anamorphic pic would get my attention though. Oh, there goes the alarm clock again....Best wishes!

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hold on though - GHD is a Columbia disc - I'm sure its anamorphic - albeit bare bones in terms of content. I used to own the original disc and dont remember it not being enhanced.

I thought the original Python Holy Grail was the only non anamorphic widescreen disc that Columbia had put out.

Re soundtracks - I agree that the original should always be provided.

6. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    With a film like Groundhog Day the soundtrack format really doesn't make that much difference to the overall enjoyement to the film (as with most comedies) but..... As far as I'm concerned the vast majority of DVDs released these days should definietly be released in some sort of 5.1 format - this should be the standard for all new releases especially re-releases of older films as special editions. I fully expected the S/E of Groundhog Day to be Dolby Digital 5.1 thus replacing and (theoreticaly) improving the poor original release - I am dissapointed for sure.

Also remixes of older films to 5.1 aren't always dissapointing, just look at The Thing, Superman, The Exorcist etc.... if it's done right it can be sensational and more than worthwhile.

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Another point being that many pre 5.1 film soundtracks probably would have been 5.1 if the technology was available at the time.

As long as the mix is done with care, and dare I say respect for the source material, I have no problems with it. Sure there are some poor ones about, but for each of them there's a 'North by Northwest' that shows how it can be done.

8. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I should qualify that my copy of GROUNDHOG DAY is the original non-A release. I'm getting the new edition soon. One of my nephews will luv the old one on their birthingday.....