1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ground terminal on speakers (new feature)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by probeski, Aug 24, 2004.

1. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i plan on getting Tannoy Sensys DC speakers and a Denon 3805. The Tannoy's have a ground connection which AFAIK is a new feature in loudspeakers. I'd appreciate if you could check out this link (copy and paste into new window due to free account block). The excerpt is from the Tannoy Eyris manual and AFAIK the Sensys use the same terminals (I couldn't find the Sensys manual online). Firstly it would be good if someone could explain what the coupling link cables are. Secondly, I'm not sure where to hook the ground to the 3805 (click 4 back panel). If a ground connection cannot be made with this receiver then can anyone give any other examples of amps/receivers i can look at which have a ground terminal? Lastly can anyone recommend any ideal sheilded cable for grounding? I doubt one would have to spend a lot of money on such a cable and I'm guessing DIY would be the way to go. I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed some light upon this subject. For additional info about this you can check this out.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Looks like these speakers are designed for bi-wiring/bi-amping.

If you intend to bi-wire (or bi-amp) the coupling links must be removed. Those coupling links can be found between HF- / LF- and HF+ / LF+ terminals. Based on your choice of receiver I doubt you will biamp.
    If you just biwire and you forget removing the links - don't worry, there will be no danger of damage (not to speakers and neither to the amp).

The grounding looks like a gimmick to me, but as mentioned under the first link you should connect the speaker cable's ground there. The cable's ground (GND) should also be grounded at the amp's end then.
    The receiver's ground can be found in the top left corner, looking at the back and labelled "Signal GND" (this ground is usually used for turntables), just beside the optical output #4.

3. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for pointing out the ground signal in the receiver :blush: . Are coupling links the same as Bi-Wire jumpers? I wouldn't mind testing the ground connection out for myself to see what effect it has. Do you know waht connection type it is on the reciever? I'd probably only use it for the fronts and seeing that there's only one connection, I'd have to join the two ground cables up somehow, I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know exactly what i'd need to hook the ground up.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's designed for spade connections and could easily get two or more on the same connection

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    connecting extra grounds, sounds like a easy way to get a nice
    ground loop hum. Just leave it disconnected.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes. Either a short cable or some metal bridge.

The GND at the receiver takes a small bare wire or small spade connectors as bobbypunk already mentioned.

Unlikely because the speaker is not an active device, or rather not grounded anywhere else, thus there won't be any loop.