Ground Loop

Savenvalaja

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, not sure if this is the right section, so if not - apologies!

I'm a bit of an audio noob, but from what I can work out I have a ground loop causing quite a loud hum or buzz from my speakers.

My system consists of an amp, with two identical speakers connected to it. Then connected to the amp is a computer and a television, both connected via 3.5mm to phono cables.

The buzz ceases if I disconnect the aerial coaxial cable from the TV which makes me think that that's the problem. But I can't see to found on the internet a way to fix it, or at least I haven't found one I understand. :)

So if anyone could spell it out for me, it'd be appreciated.

Edit: Seen something like this recommended on several American sites, but can't find one for British aerial cables. Edit of an edit: Found this now, which looks to be what I'm looking for?

Or could something like this work?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It would help more if you told us exactly what amp and speakers you have. It is pretty unusual to be connecting speakers to an amp using phono cables which makes me, and I'm sure everyone else who has read this, wonder what kind of system you have.

It would help more if you told us exactly what amp and speakers you have. It is pretty unusual to be connecting speakers to an amp using phono cables which makes me, and I'm sure everyone else who has read this, wonder what kind of system you have.

:blush: Sorry, not sure why I wrote that, they're connected with normal speaker cables. I've edited the first post..

Rotel RA-930AX amp and Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers.

That should sort it, it is the same kind of device as Mr. Cheese mentioned but with UK connectors.

Alright, I'll order one, didn't want to spend 20 odd pound without making sure it was the right thing.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom