Groove's new lounge with floating wall build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by groove, Jul 17, 2007.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    As an alternative source of rope lights, you might consider these
    http://www.lights4fun.co.uk/LED-Rope-Lights/ProductType_15szz407p.asp

Being LEDs, the benefit is they consume only 19w for 288 bulbs, don't give off any heat, and last almost for ever - 11 yrs constant use :smashin:

In comparison the Duralite ones from TLC would consumer 128w, and can fail sooner than you think - they are just regular bulbs (and you cannot replace a single bulb)

The downside compared to the Duralite is that they are none dimmable, nor can they be cut to an exact length, and they are cool white, so may not blend in with other warm white lights :thumbsdow

But you would be reducing your carbon footprint :rolleyes:

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Although you cannot replace a single failed lamp in the Duralite rope you can replace the failed section - you simply cut out section and use the coupling fittings to splice in a new piece.

3. f1racer

f1racer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Groove.... Yes, I'd be sorted if you could explain how you made the rope lights remote dimmable in good detail. I have the master remote dimmer from TLC, but I think I need the slave one too, or am I totally wrong there? I'd just really like to know what I need and how to wire up the rope light to the dimmer & mains supply.

Many thanks bud!

Ant.

4. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    must say i love this build groove, its inpired me to do mine :smashin:

can i ask where you got them spots above the false wall from?

also what sized timber you used for the frame.
    cheers :thumbsup:

5. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    As everyone has stated, an absolutely awesome job Groove!

For all those who have the Ikea Jagra units, can the drawers be removed and used to house equipment?

Thanks.

6. angelgrant

angelgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Scatterbug, just lookin at ur setup ....i'm getting the same speakers and amp....can u tell me what its like watching films....any drawbacks?

7. flashboyuk

flashboyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi mate, do you have any close up pics of the cabinets in place, as my missue isnt two impressed with the low res images on Ikea! Not that i am thinking of replicating your lounge down to the paint choice or anything. lol. how random is it when strangers start cloning your house!

8. flashboyuk

flashboyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it also helps me, as i do believe that i have the same amp and was wondering if mine would sit on those cabinets! is there much room above and behine it, as i have a 200 disc DVD player and dont think that will sit in the gap. i cant measure at the moment, as its hidden away in a box.

Cheers,

9. Chipperpeck

Chipperpeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow..... i bet you'll be amazed by this unless someone has already told you.

If you search pioneer 508XD on google images and go to page 2 your lounge is on there :thumbsup:.

Sorry if you already know about this but its soo cool i couldn't help but write about it.

Anyhow brilliant job and i would love to do something as good as this for my bedroom :D

Chris

10. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    great install Groove :thumbsup:top marks looks the biz:)

now need to convince my wife to block the door off so i can do what you have just done--looks great

oh and Groove you need to get a pj now:)to maximise all the hard work you have done:smashin:

11. Barty Crouch

Barty Crouch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice install Groove...... I'm very new to this scene and I have to say it looks very impressive.

Well thought out and well executed

12. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Cheers guys.... a few replies -

@Scatterbug - The drawers could be removed , but the sides of the central divider between the drawers is unfinished , just chipboard like in appearance , so it may look unsightly unless you painted it dark brown and or filled it up with kit so you couldnt see it.

@flashboyuk - How close do you need ? Most of those pictures have been drastically resized so i could easily crop a closer picture at a larger size if you still need it. Agree the pictures on Ikea make the cabinets look awful. I personally hate the castors as well....which is why i didnt fit them.
    The Amp is a REALLY tight squeeze , so tight i had to remove the feet...and there isnt much ventilation , but ive had no problems with it.

@ Chipperpeck....wow i didnt know that ! Just checked and they have indeed been posted on a Portugese AV forum and show up in google image search......Babelfished the replies to see what the Portugese are saying about it.....phew....its all good ! Fame at last !!! errr sort of :rolleyes:

@ Av Addict - Dude you are preahing to the converted....im gradually chipping away with the wift at the PJ idea !

Thanks again eveyone ! :thumbsup:

13. JonSoprano

JonSoprano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sir, been watching your work for a while now... just wanted to say congrats because it looks amazing! There are a few people in the world with your luck!
    Keep up your home improvements!!

Regards

14. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I thank you Jon....first post as well ! Welcome.

I do appreciate the comments.......spurs me on to do something else.....I've nearly convinced the wife we need a Projector now :thumbsup:

15. ronaldo121

ronaldo121
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Wonderful setup groove

could you tell me what size wood you used please?

That looks quality and i am tempted to do mine now lol

16. squarefish

squarefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Groove,

I showed the wife your setup and feel I owe you a big thank you!!!

She said "oooh that looks nice you can have one that looks like that"

So when can you start :D

With that in mind couldyou tell me the size of your room as it looks a similar size to one I am hoping to convert (5.6m x 3.9m):thumbsup:

Also I love the look of the Kefs. Are you pleased with the sound you are getting out of them as I'm seriously tempted?

I currently have a Celestion SoundStyle 300 package, with the matching dvd/amp, but am thinking of upgrading them to an Onkyo 605/705 and a hd/bluray dvd player.

Thanks for the next 6 months of late nights!!

Richard

17. flashboyuk

flashboyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the offer, but i knew that your attention to detail meant that they would not look nasty! (hence the reason why i made the trek to Ikea and i now have 3 units waiting to be built in the spare room!)

I also have a thread going with my progress, as have started the floating wall journey...

If u get 5 mins, can you please tell me where you got your bracket from, as i cant see anything on the net like it! (I am going to order the panasonic th-50pzb and would like to hang it on that bad boy.

Thanks again.

18. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I have just trawled through the entire 16 pages, and must say I am very impressed with the finished product.

I do have one thing that is bugging me. If you are going to to the effort of a floating wall, why didn't you mount the screen on the wall and build the frame around it so that the screen is totally flush? I know you removed the mdf to sink it back 18mm, but why stop there?

19. ver

ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well I was about to ask about the dimmer and rope light question from TLC as well but searched around and found this.

Again another fan of this and my missus too loves this build and have been using this as inspiration (pics saved to laptop too) We're going to clone this setup (but variations as we have a chimney breast etc)and have even bought the same paint and will be buying the same units too.

loads of info too as we needed to find out the height of the units without castors etc and founf everything here.

Can you elaborate on this?

as I dont 100% understand?

thanks! and great work cheers for all the time and effort taken to show and answer all these questions!:clap:

20. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Thanks for the comments guys , here's some answers

Firstly ive been asked a lot for MDF and timber dimensions so here they are -

3x Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) £15.99 Size: 2440 x 1220 x 18mm

Kiln Dried Sawn Softwood £4.69 Size: 47 x 100mm x 2.4m (for the plasma area and speaker mountings)

Kiln Dried Sawn Softwood £3.35 Size: 47 x 75mm x 2.4m (for the outside frame)

Kiln Dried Sawn Softwood £13.99 Size: 47 x 47mm x 2.4m (for the cross sections )

The mdf panels were 20mm too wide , as the cabinets are only 1200 , so I left the centre panel full size and whipped 300mm off the end of each of the other panels.

Hope that helps Ronaldo121 and the others that have asked.

@Squarefish - the room is 4.6m x 3.9m so not too dissimiliar at all. I really like the KEF's , clear enough for dialog , and loud enough to ****** the neighbours off and feel it through the sofa , im no speaker expert that they deliver everything I want.

@Flashboy - They weigh a bloody ton dont they ! I picked them up on my own from Ikea late one night when they arrived back in stock , I tell you loading and navigating that trolley round the place with those 3 heavy box's on was not fun. I got the bracket from AV Sales , its a couple of years old now , and was just there standard universal bracket......had to modify it slightly for the PIO as the bottom mounting holes didnt line up. But its as strong as an OX.

@Tyler - I did consider it briefly , but i had small concerns of the screen getting hot as I would have wanted it absolutely flush , im not a big fan of the recessed screens with the gap around. Just a design decision really.

@ver - Disclaimer , im not a qualified electrician , competant , but no way qualified so im not sure if what i did conforms with part P regulations or not , but Im happy its safe and will have to get it checked if I ever sell the house i reckon.
    But what i did was pick a feed off from the existing lighting circuit in the ceiling , to a new junction box. I ran new switching wires from here down to the exisitng switch was 2 gang ( ceiling lights and wall lights ) and replaced the switch with a varlight touch remote brushed stainless 3 gang dimmer switch. I then run the feed down into the lounge from the junction box to a Fused Connection Unit ( just a box with a removeable fuse ) to protect the circuit, chopped the plug off the rope light mains feed and hard wired it into the FCU.

This gives me Remote dimming of all 3 set of lights now , and the nice soft start and soft off efeect of the varilight dimmers. I was going to put RAKO dimming system in , but the budget run away from itself, and tbh im really pleased with how the lighting turned out.

Think ive covered everything...shout if i missed you !

Its strange as i sit here answering questions and trying to remember the details im getting this weird feeling that i actually miss doing it.......I need to start a new project I think/.

21. flashboyuk

flashboyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Groove -good work fella :smashin:

I dont know how you did it. I am working with my father-in-law and it keeps me awake at night. there again, i am grateful for the help of an experieneced builder)

Yes, those boxes from Ikea were f***in heavy and navigating round a car park in the *****ng rain (whilst wearing a suit) was not the highlight of my life!

Got the coving and skirting finished today, just need to choose the paint now and get the frame up. Plasma arrives Tuesday and will sit lonely in it's box until i find a decent enough bracket. Recommendation anyone?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

22. ver

ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers for the info Groove. turns out 2 of the ikea units you have that we wanted will be too wide for our setup so not so much cloned any more

cheers for the info about the lights

23. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    First of superb, been through the whole thread again but can't see the measurement i am after. maybe i keep missing it. Can you tell me distance from screen front to middle of sofa, ie viewing distance and how do you fell about it with a 50" plasma. I have just got my pm with john lewis so wondering do i put it opposite sofa or block up doors to dinning room.:D

24. chrisfoster1971

chrisfoster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well what can i say that hasn' already been said. I haven't been on the forum for a long time. But had to come back too see how you got on as from the earlier posts it was evident that it was going to look something special and you haven't disappointed at all. I am in awe at the attention to detail and the KEF's. I had been planning something similar with the addition of a HTPC to boot, but it got squashed due to some funding issues shall we say. (the wife)

I am still looking for some 5005's to change over from my current Mission FS2AVs. But if I start I wont stop and already have plans for a Onkyo TXNR905, 50" Pioneer, HD/BLU player (once a decent hybird comes out)

I just need to show these piccies to the one that must be obeyed and see if I can finally rip the fireplace out and move our Plasma down the wall.

Again fantastic work and keep us updated :lease: on the projector >>> you just know it will happen:hiya:

25. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Putbinoot.....Thanks mate...Ill have a measure up when i get home tonight and let you know pal.

Chris , good luck with the persuasion , there has been a few messages on here and in PM's that showing these pictures to the better halves did the trick and got the work/funding signed off :clap: Thanks for the compliments...Ill keep the thread updated......doesnt look like its going away anytime soon , everytime i come back there are more questions and I love hellping out wherever I can as I was in the same boat a year ago planning it all. Thats what makes this such a great site.

26. Torn

Torn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi mate, as ive said before it looks great and im in the final stages of planning(copying!!!!) the wall, ive been thinking about using plasterboard rather than MDF, any particular reason you made it with MDF rather than using plasterboard? or any one have any reasons not to use plasterboard?
    reason im thinking of using plasterboard is i moved into new build property in dec and think plasterboard may tie into the finish of the lounge walls.

oh and PS you dont live to far fancy coming to do mine???

dave

27. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hey Dave...yea just up the road !!! Id love to help mate...im just a bit busy enjoying mine for the next few months.....lol

Plasterboard or MDF ? I went round in circles on this as well , and settled on MDF just because im more familiar working with it. I thought id need to get a plasterer in to get the joints smooth as rubbing down seemed like it would damage the paper coating , but im no expert in plasterboard so this theory may be totally wrong. I just didnt feel i had the plastering skills to get a smooth enough finish on the panel joins. With MDF and P38 , several packs of sandpaper and an orbital I get a perfect finish.

With a very fine roller , proper MDF primer , and several top coats the finish is spot on , in fact hardly distinguishable from the platered wall behind .

Good luck with yurs and let me know if i can help any further......get a thread going pal when you start , id love to see your take on it.

@Putbinoot - just had a measure up , from centre of sofa to screen as 3.03m. How do i fell a bout a 50" ??? I absolutely love it , fells just right to me , going from a 42" to a 50" was the best thing i did.

28. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers Groove, i am 3m so you have made my mind up for me, gonna phone and order the 50 tomorrow and of course copy your wall with some slight touches of mine.

29. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Hiya Groove.

Just been reading through this thread again before I start my version (COPY!!!:rotfl:) of it and each time I'm stunned by the final outcome. Hopefully mine will look as good.

I just have a couple of questions. I know the colour on the Panel and behind is Flawless Powder but what colour did you use for the rest of the room?

Not sure if I've asked this before but whats the measurement of the overhang of the panel from the framework?

Shouldn't that be 30mm and not 300mm. Cabinets - 1200mm x 3 = 3600mm, MDF 1220mm x 3 =3660mm, 3660 - 3600 = 60mm so 30mm of each panel.

30. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hey Stuart....

Yup get one too many '0's on there......it was indeed 30mm (3cm) off the end of each end panel.

Cant remember exactly the overhang amount...can have a measure up tonight if you want....

As for the rest of the room....after much deliberation we used - Dulux Natural Calico ( just phoned the missus up and sent het down the garage to have a look as i couldnt remember !!! )

Hope that helps.....id love to see your progress or finished article when you're done mate.

G